Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Silayev/Lev + Elick/Emery (might have to trade up for the better one). Hopefully Ducks scouts view them as BPA. Then focus on complimentary forwards. If Ducks are going to go with 3 scoring lines, they already have Carlsson, Gauthier, Terry, McTavish, and Zegras who are top two guys on their lines and just need a guy who compliments them. One will be a 3rd liner if they go with 3 good centers, and don't need as good of players to be a good 3rd line. Colangelo looked like a future NHL player in limited time, so he might/should be one of those.

Defense has Minty, Zell, and LaCombe on the left (last two can play on the right), Lev/Sil and Luneau should be able to play top 4 and that leaves the other draft pick, Hinds, Warren, Moore(?), etc to fight for the 3rd spot. Chances are, one of those guys becomes a 3rd pair guy.

Verbeek has also been active in free agency. If he can stop signing contracts like Strome and keep getting value Gudas/Vatrano types in free agency every few years, this team can be strong for a long time. Those players should be easier to get one the team is good, so him getting those guys when we're a really bad team is (hopefully) a good sign.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Silayev/Lev + Elick/Emery (might have to trade up for the better one). Hopefully Ducks scouts view them as BPA. Then focus on complimentary forwards. If Ducks are going to go with 3 scoring lines, they already have Carlsson, Gauthier, Terry, McTavish, and Zegras who are top two guys on their lines and just need a guy who compliments them. One will be a 3rd liner if they go with 3 good centers, and don't need as good of players to be a good 3rd line. Colangelo looked like a future NHL player in limited time, so he might/should be one of those.

Defense has Minty, Zell, and LaCombe on the left (last two can play on the right), Lev/Sil and Luneau should be able to play top 4 and that leaves the other draft pick, Hinds, Warren, Moore(?), etc to fight for the 3rd spot. Chances are, one of those guys becomes a 3rd pair guy.

Verbeek has also been active in free agency. If he can stop signing contracts like Strome and keep getting value Gudas/Vatrano types in free agency every few years, this team can be strong for a long time. Those players should be easier to get one the team is good, so him getting those guys when we're a really bad team is (hopefully) a good sign.

As for shutdown RD's Elick/Emery availability, it depends on which pick you're wanting to use on either: pick 29-32 (rd 1) or pick 35 (rd 2)

As for trading up, here's what we have in this year's draft to use for a potential trade up.

Rd 1
#3.​
#29-32. (Edmonton's pick - Rico/Carrick trade)​
Rd 2
#35.​
#58. (Boston's pick - Lindholm trade)​
Rd 3
#66. (San Jose's pick - Thrun trade)​
#68.​
#79. (Pitt's pick - Rakell trade)​
Rd 4
#100.​
Rd 5.
No pick (Traded to Col for Ben Myers)​
Rd 6.
#164.​
Rd 7.
No pick (Traded in part with Rico/Carrick)​

On MyNHLdraft and Tankathon, both have Elick ahead of Emery. The wild card on at least one being available is another RD in Badinka. He's been rising fast from mid-2nd round to early 2nd or late in the 1st round. Badinka was mocked 28th for MyNHLdraft and ahead of Elick. For Tankathon, Badinka was mocked 34th, behind Elick, but ahead of Emery.

Badinka is a 6'3, 2-way D who played 33 games in the SHL this year as well as 17 games in the J20. He was so good in the J20 club that he got promoted to the SHL club. In the J20, he scored 2g +11 points in only 17 games and led the club in +/- with a +8 rating (still leads the J20 club after the end of the J20 season).

I think Badinka might be a better trade asset (and potential), while Elick and Emery are better suited to balance out the Ducks' blueline. Verbeek mentioned how RD Moore is being used as a shutdown D for Harvard, but Verbeek sees Moore as a 2-way D.

In a way, Anaheim has a good chance of picking one of these three 6'3 RD at pick 29-32, but could be a risk at pick 35. I remember the 2022 draft and how we barely grabbed the last of the shutdown D upper tier in Warren at pick 42. Dallas went early at #18 with Bichsel and started the rush on shutdown d-men: #21 Pickering, #29 Lamoureaux, #37 Chesley, and #42 Warren.

2024 draft ===
28. Calgary. Both MyNHLdraft and Tankathon have one RD going to Calgary in Elick or Badinka
29. Anaheim (Edm pick). Could go offense if they go defense with the #3 pick.
30. Philly (Fla pick). Both MND and Tanka have Philly selecting a center.
31. Dallas. Can go F or D.
32. NYR. Forward
---- Rd 2 ----
33. SJ. They're probably going defense here.
34. Chi. If they go defense at #2, then they might go offense.
35. Anaheim. Tanka has Emery dropping to us here.

Reactions: lwvs84

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gudbranson was great here top 4 and made Fowler look competent defensively. Of course the most annoying anti fighting poster with a new alias comes up with another 🗑 post

Your standard for greatness is, once again, guy who throws more than 100 hits in one season. On his best nights he was fine.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I actually agree with him that Gudbranson was another bottom #4/5 guy that looked really good next to Fowler. Along with Rev, and Hawk, and others.

For some reason Fowler makes worse players better and good players worse lol.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I also think he perhaps had one of the best stretches of his career while in a Ducks jersey, in terms of being able to eat minutes relatively mistake free. In other stops it seems he has more well known struggles to move pucks, perhaps something about our more simple, chip and chase style just worked for him as opposed to more dynamic transitional teams where he couldn't keep up.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Demidov
Elick

Would be a really good 1st for us
- Demidov might be in the celebrini tier in terms of talent

Elick fits our defense really nicely, as a compliment piece for Mintyukov or zellweger

- also damn if the sharks get celebrini + yakemchuk…. Really good draft for them if it goes that way.

Reactions: Trojans86

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I actually agree with him that Gudbranson was another bottom #4/5 guy that looked really good next to Fowler. Along with Rev, and Hawk, and others.

For some reason Fowler makes worse players better and good players worse lol.
I never really got the feeling he was playing "great" though. At best he seemed to me to be unnoticeable as in not making glaring mistakes. But I feel like I'm remembering plenty of occasions where he was getting caught out of position in the defensive zone and needing forwards/the goalie to bail him out. Not like our defense was outstanding in 19-20 but I remember having a hope that they upgrade over Gudbranson.

He's certainly not the worst defenseman to play for the Ducks. He was serviceable to mediocre from what I saw.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Demidov
Elick

Would be a really good 1st for us
- Demidov might be in the celebrini tier in terms of talent

Elick fits our defense really nicely, as a compliment piece for Mintyukov or zellweger

- also damn if the sharks get celebrini + yakemchuk…. Really good draft for them if it goes that way.

They also have the first pick in the 2nd round. It'll be a good draft for them this year.

Tankathon mock for the Sharks
1. C Celebrini
14. RD Yakemchuk
33. LD Wallenius (Still on the board: RD Badinka, RD Emery)

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
With my final pick in the mock draft, our sixth rounder #164 overall, I selected goaltender....just kidding. Went with a double overage pick in RW Dylan Hryckowian.

Went undrafted in his first year of eligibility, which was pretty understandable given that he was in prep hockey and quite undersized at the time. But last year many felt he deserved to be picked after jumping into the USHL and putting up over a point per game as a rookie, second on Cedar Rapids in scoring. This year he should have cemented his prospect status, putting up a point per game as a freshman at Northeastern and finishing ahead of multiple drafted prospects in team scoring.

Not necessarily holding out hope for a highly productive pro but rather a Cogs type presence, as this is one of those incredibly speedy, non stop motor type of guys. Still a bit on the small side but I have all kinds of time for a feisty smaller player who brings relentless pace and energy - especially one who has shown they can produce at each level so far.

Reactions: Trojans86

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Pronman has released his player rankings on the Athletic. It had 129 prospects separated into nine tiers. (Note: NY Times incorporated the Athletic as it's sporting page. Maybe HFboard doesn't recognize the NY Times site to share in a card form link?)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5518310/2024/05/28/nhl-draft-rankings-2024-prospects/

Tier 1. C Celebrini
Tier 2. RD Lev
Tier 3. RD Yakemchuk, LD Silayev, LD Buium
What was his reasoning for having Demidov in Tier 4 or below? That’s wild.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I don't need irrelevant corsi garbage I watched the games and most posters agree he was great here. I don't care about when he played on other teams. You as usual want the softest small team we can assemble waste of time post

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
His skating (he is a knock kneed skater like Clarke) is the only negative that’s mentioned. He even says the style of game he will play with make coaches love him.

I don’t get it.

It would not shock me to see Yakemchuk be the surprise top 5 pick. Even at 3 maybe. If he slips out of the top 10 I would trade a top 5 protected pick next year to get him.

Reactions: ScarTroy

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

I don't need irrelevant corsi garbage I watched the games and most posters agree he was great here. I don't care about when he played on other teams. You as usual want the softest small team we can assemble waste of time post
Yeah! All we care about is how big they are and how much they hit. We don't care about none of your numbers, or stats, or facts.

We hate "soft"! When they're small and soft it makes us furious! We hate it so much that we will literally never talk about anything else!

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I wouldn't have called him great here. I would have described him as adequate defensively, and adding a physical element that was otherwise missing. The question is, how is his play now, not what it was then. If his play has deteriorated then I would pass on him unless there is no better physical defenseman available.

Reactions: Vipers31

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Yeah! All we care about is how big they are and how much they hit. We don't care about none of your numbers, or stats, or facts.

We hate "soft"! When they're small and soft it makes us furious! We hate it so much that we will literally never talk about anything else!
Dummy it seems every Duck liked him here

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Absolutely 100% making shit up. I very often talk about guys needing to bulk up to handle the physical rigors of this sport while casting doubts on small players since even in a changing league guys like, say, Cole Caufield are the exception, not the rule. When I look at someone like Leo Carlsson, I see size and strength that can be leveraged towards a guy who can deflect contact once he adds more bulk. Is he going to be a big, mean wrecking ball of a hit machine? Shit no. But not everyone has to be. My ideal player would be a guy who is quick on his skates, good vision and IQ, good release on his shot, accurate passing, 6'4 210 pounds, unafraid of going to dirty areas and lay the body on the forecheck. So your fever dream that I have this obsession with building the smallest and softest team possible is coming from your imagination.

What I don't do is jazz up physical guys who are lumbering dipshits like Ross Johnston who, more often than not, don't play the game well and disingenuously act like they're good at all aspects of the sport simply because they fight and hit out of some obsession with old time physical hockey.

Yeah maybe I'm overly critical of Gudbranson from his time here and used extrinsic evidence from his play on other teams cause I couldn't be f***ed to find the metrics from his Anaheim stint while replying on my phone. But my point wasn't that Gudbranson was bad. It was that it's a stretch to call him great. Your pattern has always been to show up only to talk about goons and bruisers. You don't talk about any other aspect of this sport because you don't seem to care about any other aspects but knocking skulls. Calling Gudbranson great feels in line with that same old pattern. But it's my bad for trying to challenge it. Nothing productive to be gained from it.
His skating (he is a knock kneed skater like Clarke) is the only negative that’s mentioned. He even says the style of game he will play with make coaches love him.

I don’t get it.

It would not shock me to see Yakemchuk be the surprise top 5 pick. Even at 3 maybe. If he slips out of the top 10 I would trade a top 5 protected pick next year to get him.
Hack is as hack does. I don't get why anyone gives him the time of day anymore. Or at least to the degree that people look to him for valuable insight.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Did I miss that Gudbranson is eligible for the draft again this year?
It was in line with a discussion on the abundance of defensemen in this year's draft. At some point there's only so much to say.

Some want Levshunov, some want Silayev, some are hoping Demidov is there and the Ducks take a chance.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Absolutely 100% making shit up. I very often talk about guys needing to bulk up to handle the physical rigors of this sport while casting doubts on small players since even in a changing league guys like, say, Cole Caufield are the exception, not the rule. When I look at someone like Leo Carlsson, I see size and strength that can be leveraged towards a guy who can deflect contact once he adds more bulk. Is he going to be a big, mean wrecking ball of a hit machine? Shit no. But not everyone has to be. My ideal player would be a guy who is quick on his skates, good vision and IQ, good release on his shot, accurate passing, 6'4 210 pounds, unafraid of going to dirty areas and lay the body on the forecheck. So your fever dream that I have this obsession with building the smallest and softest team possible is coming from your imagination.

What I don't do is jazz up physical guys who are lumbering dipshits like Ross Johnston who, more often than not, don't play the game well and disingenuously act like they're good at all aspects of the sport simply because they fight and hit out of some obsession with old time physical hockey.

Yeah maybe I'm overly critical of Gudbranson from his time here and used extrinsic evidence from his play on other teams cause I couldn't be f***ed to find the metrics from his Anaheim stint while replying on my phone. But my point wasn't that Gudbranson was bad. It was that it's a stretch to call him great. Your pattern has always been to show up only to talk about goons and bruisers. You don't talk about any other aspect of this sport because you don't seem to care about any other aspects but knocking skulls. Calling Gudbranson great feels in line with that same old pattern. But it's my bad for trying to challenge it. Nothing productive to be gained from it.

Hack is as hack does. I don't get why anyone gives him the time of day anymore. Or at least to the degree that people look to him for valuable insight.

Read the thread again when he was traded find a Duck fan that says he was a "hack" here? Why was he paired with Fowler and not a #7 or healthy scratch? Why was he given a nice contract by Columbus?

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I don’t get it.

Pronman denotes it is his skating and if his size will translate to the NHL level. The skating issue is two-fold: knock kneed and depends on his edges. With the latter, Zeev depends on his edges often and that helps to mask his lack of speed going in a straight line. (There was a video breakdown shared on Zeev which identified this type of skating.) I think that's what Pronman was hinting about with Demidov.

• Skill grade for Demidov
    • Skating = Below Averge
    • Puck Skills = Elite
    • Hockey Sense = Above Average
    • Compete = Above Average

Reactions: ScarTroy

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Read the thread again when he was traded find a Duck fan that says he was a "hack" here? Why was he paired with Fowler and not a #7 or healthy scratch? Why was he given a nice contract by Columbus?
I was talking about Pronman being a hack separately. I'm not engaging on the Gudbranson thing anymore. I said my piece

Reactions: Dryish

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
gudbranson wasn't anything special, but he would be a nice fit on this team for his size and physicality alone

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad