Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
gudbranson wasn't anything special, but he would be a nice fit on this team for his size and physicality alone

He's a perfect bottom pairing d-man in terms of physicality/penalty killing and the fact that he's a RHD. In the right role, he's fine. The issue is that he's a bit overpaid (AAV) for that role. But I would take him on this ducks team since the cap is not an issue for the next two years and he's a solid fit for what the ducks need currently.

To be clear, he's not major piece, but I'd take him.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He's a perfect bottom pairing d-man in terms of physicality/penalty killing and the fact that he's a RHD. In the right role, he's fine. The issue is that he's a bit overpaid (AAV) for that role. But I would take him on this ducks team since the cap is not an issue for the next two years and he's a solid fit for what the ducks need currently.

To be clear, he's not major piece, but I'd take him.
He's got a 10 team NTC...pretty good chance Anaheim is on it.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
From what I've seen/read Gudbranson is a shell of his former self and would be a net negative at this point.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Did I miss that Gudbranson is eligible for the draft again this year?
I brought him up (along with Bryan Allen) as a possible point in opposition to the claim that no one like Silayev (i.e. a guy who has never produced offense at any level) has ever been taken top 5 in the draft. It wasn't a strong point - I was just kind of throwing it out there.

I was then verbally accosted for dismissing Beefiness and the Pugilists (they played a kickass show at the Troub last week, by the way) as legitimate hockey skill. I never intended the discussion to go where it has subsequently descended to. Heck, I didn't even intend to malign Gudbranson**; I only wanted to posit that there have been low-offense, high-defense guys taken high in the draft.

**Not that I'm unfamiliar with maligning Gudbranson. He had a decent stretch with the Ducks, but he's a 5/6 dman who won't kill you if he's limited to 17 minutes per night. He's certainly not good, but he has his place.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
IMO, it seems very unlikely based on the options available at 3rd overall that the Ducks will be choosing a forward. That leaves the defensemen and Levshunov just makes sense. Highly rated everywhere, should be playing for the team soon, RD, clear top pairing potential, and the list goes on. I trust Madden especially with defensemen but it's a pretty clear choice for me.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Dummy it seems every Duck liked him here
No, I'm agreeing with you, dummy! You don't like soft and you don't like small. And you're passionate enough about it, that you literally talk about nothing else. It's a personal preference and I support your right to keep beating drums about it, ad nauseam. Hearing you talk about anything other than soft and small would just feel like blasphemy.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
He's got a 10 team NTC...pretty good chance Anaheim is on it.
You say this based on what? Without knowing more, I'd assess the chance at 10/32 but that would just be guessing. Which is what I think you're doing.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
IMO, it seems very unlikely based on the options available at 3rd overall that the Ducks will be choosing a forward. That leaves the defensemen and Levshunov just makes sense. Highly rated everywhere, should be playing for the team soon, RD, clear top pairing potential, and the list goes on. I trust Madden especially with defensemen but it's a pretty clear choice for me.
Doubt he last that long

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I missed Scouchings stream last night, but in his video he said he would take Lindstrom at 3. Just thinks it fits with the whole identity PV is currently trying to build.

Wouldn’t mind another big forward
Alfons Freij at #12 - at around the 1:10:00 mark - sounds incredibly interesting. Artamonov at #8. Man I love those ranking.

Last edited:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
You say this based on what? Without knowing more, I'd assess the chance at 10/32 but that would just be guessing. Which is what I think you're doing.
Speaking for myself and not necessarily @tomd its a common joke that an 8 team no trade clause is all of Canada + x team. And 10 teams are all of Canada and California.

The reason is typically taxes, as a general rule from testimony of players like Pronger, and the Dadanov situation, players don’t want to be shipped off to a worse tax situation. If you get shipped off from Nevada or Florida where you don’t have income tax, to California or Canada that is a multi million dollar tax burden. Like potentially 10 million dollar difference over the course of a long term contract. (Doing some quick mental math it may be a bit short of that, sans the McDavids of the NHL because the effective tax rate of players is averaged out by playing in different states and locations.)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
And Lindstrom isn't Fantilli. Who cares?

The point remains.

What point? There aren't any other Forward options like last year compared to this year. If Carlsson wasn't in last year's draft, then we're picking Fantilli. We definitely weren't in on the shorter Michkov.

You brought up last year's example to allude to this year's draft. Then, I'm inserting context to your last year's example to this year's draft and what you're alluding to loses logic.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
What point? There aren't any other Forward options like last year compared to this year. If Carlsson wasn't in last year's draft, then we're picking Fantilli. We definitely weren't in on the shorter Michkov.

You brought up last year's example to allude to this year's draft. Then, I'm inserting context to your last year's example to this year's draft and what you're alluding to loses logic.
No shit, because there was a gap between those 2 and the next guys. They wouldn't have taken Fantilli because of his play style. This year there isn't nearly the gap between Lindstrom and the other forwards that could go top 10 (outside of Demidov and Celebrini).

I'm not going to argue with you about this. Just agree to disagree, please dont come at me with a TLDR.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I love the fact that Silayev is going to be passing the puck to his partner most. Minty is perfect for him haha.

I'm at the point where I'm pretty much okay with anyone the Ducks will realistically be taking. Even a guy like Parekh that I dont want, if the Ducks scouts like him enough to take him at 3 then I am obviously wrong about him.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I missed Scouchings stream last night, but in his video he said he would take Lindstrom at 3. Just thinks it fits with the whole identity PV is currently trying to build.

Wouldn’t mind another big forward

Watching the playoffs, I definitely wouldn't mind Lindstrom, as he seems the kind of guy who thrives in these types of games.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No shit, because there was a gap between those 2 and the next guys. They wouldn't have taken Fantilli because of his play style. This year there isn't nearly the gap between Lindstrom and the other forwards that could go top 10 (outside of Demidov and Celebrini).

I'm not going to argue with you about this. Just agree to disagree, please dont come at me with a TLDR.
It’s funny how often people have to say that last part on these forums lol

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wouldn't complain about Lindstrom at 3 but I'd have concerns with his injury history. On its face, that's an immediate concern given this team's recent run of injury woes. And then if you get into the history of guys with significant draft year injuries, I feel like more often than not it either results in a guy that never quite makes it to the NHL or the missed development holds him back. I wouldn't say it's always the case, but it happens enough that I'd be concerned.

Assuming it's a total one off, I like the idea of having him as a solid second liner/borderline first liner with size to insulate the skill guys and open up space for them.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I wouldn't complain about Lindstrom at 3 but I'd have concerns with his injury history. On its face, that's an immediate concern given this team's recent run of injury woes. And then if you get into the history of guys with significant draft year injuries, I feel like more often than not it either results in a guy that never quite makes it to the NHL or the missed development holds him back. I wouldn't say it's always the case, but it happens enough that I'd be concerned.

Assuming it's a total one off, I like the idea of having him as a solid second liner/borderline first liner with size to insulate the skill guys and open up space for them.

Thats my fear as well. Although i don't have injury reports on each of these guys, a guy with a history that young in his career is worrisome for a guy at 3OA. I have no issue with adding another high pick to our offense, as I have some worry, but I don't think Lindstrom is that guy.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Speaking for myself and not necessarily @tomd its a common joke that an 8 team no trade clause is all of Canada + x team. And 10 teams are all of Canada and California.

The reason is typically taxes, as a general rule from testimony of players like Pronger, and the Dadanov situation, players don’t want to be shipped off to a worse tax situation. If you get shipped off from Nevada or Florida where you don’t have income tax, to California or Canada that is a multi million dollar tax burden. Like potentially 10 million dollar difference over the course of a long term contract. (Doing some quick mental math it may be a bit short of that, sans the McDavids of the NHL because the effective tax rate of players is averaged out by playing in different states and locations.)

I agree that state taxes are a real issue. But I'm hard pressed to see how teams in California would be viewed differently then NY/NJ or other high tax states. NY in particular has city taxes. And, in any event, half of the games are on the road and taxed by the home state.

Bottom line - we don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: GunnarStahl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad