Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
And that would be a really stupid trade unless the team trading the first for Zegras sends back a good young roster piece too, which I don't see any team doing with where Z's value must be at right now.
I agree it would be unpopular to trade Zegras. That said, Zegras really really doesn't strike me as a player PV wants as part of his future core. He turned a pretty devalued Drysdale (who I also don't think he saw as part of his core) into Gauthier. IMO if he has a chance to do that with Zegras he'll jump at it. And a top 10 pick in this draft may be enough to do it. And to be clear I'm not suggesting that PV will give Zegras away. PV has proven he can be patient...but I will be the least surprised person in socal if Zegras is traded.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think @Static brought up the fact of "what history of potential high offense exists with Silayev?"

Silayev
D-1, MHL: 41 games, 2g + 6a = 8pts (0.195 ppg) and -3 rating (2nd worst on the team)
D+0, KHL: 63 games, 3g + 8a = 11 pts (0.175 ppg) and -9 rating (3rd worst on the team)

The only reason Silayev got hyped offensively was due to his first nine games in the KHL.

SilayevKHLD+0
Game SetGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Total
63​
3​
8​
11​
0.17​
-9​
1 to 9
9​
1​
5​
6​
0.67​
1​
10 to 63
54​
2​
3​
5​
0.09​
-10​

Should one be expecting high offensive output from Silayev? His totality in the past two seasons does not suggest there's enough offense there to become a 2-way D. And his defense isn't on par like Hampus Lindholm's defense in his D+0 season. Lindholm did show some offensive potential in his D+0 season.

Hampus, D+0
LeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
J18 Elit
1​
1​
3​
4​
4.00​
7​
J 20 Super Elit
28​
5​
12​
17​
0.61​
25​
HockeyAllsvenskan
20​
1​
3​
4​
0.20​
-1​
playoff Kvalserien SHL
10​
1​
4​
5​
0.50​
5​

If the Ducks want a shutdown D with potential offense to become a 2-way D, then go with Dickinson.
Obviously, Silayev is all about projection at this point. Any team that drafts him will have to rely heavily on their Russian scout(s) and interview the player when (if) he comes over later this month. Also they'll have to do their due diligence with his coaches and others who watch the KHL closely. They'll talk to the CSB scouts and find out why they ranked him the #1 Euro ahead of the highly touted Demidov. This is a little different situation than Bischel back in 2022. Scouts SEE something with Silayev and it is much more than just a shutdown D. If a team thinks he's got Hedman potential then he's a bargain at any spot in the draft. If they don't, he won't be in their top 10.

Stats may come back to bite people as well. As a rookie in the SHL, Hedman had 4 points in 39 games but then exploded in his 2nd season as a late birthday draft eligible player. Silayev could do something similar next year. I'm willing to take the risk on Silayev but I know others aren't and that's ok. As long as the Ducks do their due diligence they should get a very good piece for the future core with that pick.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree it would be unpopular to trade Zegras. That said, Zegras really really doesn't strike me as a player PV wants as part of his future core. He turned a pretty devalued Drysdale (who I also don't think he saw as part of his core) into Gauthier. IMO if he has a chance to do that with Zegras he'll jump at it. And a top 10 pick in this draft may be enough to do it. And to be clear I'm not suggesting that PV will give Zegras away. PV has proven he can be patient...but I will be the least surprised person in socal if Zegras is traded.
I wouldn't be surprised if he traded Zegras. I would be surprised if the main piece coming back in a Zegras trade is a top ten pick this year. I think this draft class has a lot more question marks around them than usual.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if he traded Zegras. I would be surprised if the main piece coming back in a Zegras trade is a top ten pick this year. I think this draft class has a lot more question marks around them than usual.
I agree with the question marks. I think if it happened it would be a trade at the draft that would be made only if the player the Ducks wanted was available. Obviously just spit balling but I think if PV could get two of the stud D out of this draft he would be very happy.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Z is a proven nhl player at a 60 point level who can only get better. If Verbeek trades him for some magic beans he should be fired.

I’m all for making the team better and if that means trading Z I’m fine with that. But it needs to be for quality nhl talent that fills a hole that needs filling.
PV has asked Zegras to totally remake his game b/c his playing style was not conducive to the type of team that PV is trying to build. I like Zegras but he really has a lot of work to do to get where PV wants him to be. I'm not sure what you mean by "quality NHL talent" but I'm not sure Zegras can return a solid young NHL player right now. The choice PV faces is to pull the trigger now (if he can get what he wants) or be super patient with Zegras and hope it pays off.

People complained when PV traded a young top 4D for a prospect earlier this year but it was the right thing to do. If he decides to traded Zegras for a top pick to get a player he really wants then I'm ok with that. Short term pain...long term gain.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
PV has asked Zegras to totally remake his game b/c his playing style was not conducive to the type of team that PV is trying to build. I like Zegras but he really has a lot of work to do to get where PV wants him to be. I'm not sure what you mean by "quality NHL talent" but I'm not sure Zegras can return a solid young NHL player right now. The choice PV faces is to pull the trigger now (if he can get what he wants) or be super patient with Zegras and hope it pays off.

People complained when PV traded a young top 4D for a prospect earlier this year but it was the right thing to do. If he decides to traded Zegras for a top pick to get a player he really wants then I'm ok with that. Short term pain...long term gain.

Did they? I remember the consensus being pretty positive. Maybe just me.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Talk about revisionist history.....
These are just from the second page on the trade thread:
Really like this. I think this was the right D to trade.
With Zell, Minty, and Drysdale all in the system, and Zell knocking on the door of the NHL, one of these guys was likely moving on.

This is the kinda shake up the team needs.
Agreed. We all knew a trade for a forward involving one of our D was gonna happen one day. I didn't expect it to be Drysdale but stranger things have happened.
Gauthier is literally everything we need if he hits, but man I was not prepared to lose Jamie
This is nuts but it makes sense. Surprised that it's Jamie on the way out.
I mean, there's the move with using out young D as bullets in trades but wow did I not expect it to be Drysdale at this stage. Pat must really like Zell and Luneau
Great move.
Hurts emotionally but I like it
We all knew a defensemen was going to be traded. It was inevitable.

The Ducks have no reason to trade Z unless it is an overpayment or a fit in the team structure, like a potential top pairing physical RHD.

Reactions: Son of Gib and MD93

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Talk about revisionist history.....
These are just from the second page on the trade thread:

We all knew a defensemen was going to be traded. It was inevitable.

The Ducks have no reason to trade Z unless it is an overpayment or a fit in the team structure, like a potential top pairing physical RHD.
Talk about cherry picking! Are you seriously telling me there weren't people on this forum and in the thread you referred to who were initially upset/concerned about the trade and didn't want Drysdale traded? Seriously??

And as to Zegras being traded...no, they have no reason to trade him unless PV doesn't think he is part of the future core he wants to build. IF PV feels that way then that's enough of a reason to trade him. Do we know that for sure? Of course not! Just like we didn't know for sure that Drysdale would be traded (except for you, oh mighty Nostradamus). But I said I was just spit balling a possibility. You know, a discussion on a discussion board. And I also said several times that PV would ONLY accept a trade for a return that he wanted.

I will say that if PV does trade him you are likely to be disappointed with the return if you truly believe he could fetch a top pairing physical RHD. I certainly don't think he can. But just to forestall your next reply, I'll say that I believe the odds of Zegras being traded this summer are probably only in the 25% range. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened but I'm not predicting it.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Talk about cherry picking! Are you seriously telling me there weren't people on this forum and in the thread you referred to who were initially upset/concerned about the trade and didn't want Drysdale traded? Seriously??
Please go look at the thread. The VAST majority of the posts are either positive, neutral, or positive about the trade but sad about it being Jamie.

Of course some people complained. If I ordered everyone here free Peperoni pizza 10% would complain I didn't get sausage.

Reactions: Son of Gib

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I wouldn't be surprised by a Z trade, I can't see trading him for picks though. I don't think Verbeek is looking to delay the rebuild anymore than he has to.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Please go look at the thread. The VAST majority of the posts are either positive, neutral, or positive about the trade but sad about it being Jamie.

Of course some people complained. If I ordered everyone here free Peperoni pizza 10% would complain I didn't get sausage.
In fairness, I saw plenty of people on Twitter bitching that Verbeek made a mistake trading Jamie, but that's the Twitter fanbase.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wouldn't be surprised by a Z trade, I can't see trading him for picks though. I don't think Verbeek is looking to delay the rebuild anymore than he has to.
The only way I see Zegras for a pick is in a class like last year and in the top 5. And even then I would hope the trade includes a roster player coming back. Even if Z bottoms out as a 50-60 point player, you don't trade a guy like that for a roulette spin on a guy that maybe could be a solid NHLer too (or better).

Reactions: Beckett

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Many people are assuming that PV is going to be here for the next several years... :dunno:

His vision of a team may or may not succeed, and Zegras may or may not be part of that team.

Trading Zegras will be very difficult for magic beans. It will be tough internal sell to the fans and ownership. A hockey trade is possible though Zegras' trade value is pretty low right now.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm actually getting worried Chicago could pick Silayev lol, when he hits his prime, no one is gonna mess with Bedard if they are on the same team. Having 1C Bedard and 1D Silayev would be setting them up for a long time for success assuming Silayev hits his ceiling.

If that happens they got to pick Demidov for sure if he's there at #3. I don't think Lind/Dick/Buium/Lev are enough to avoid picking a KHL player this time around and its not like they got the issues like Mitchkov wanting to go to specific teams. Last year both Carlsson and Fantilli were legit #1 overall talents (was just their luck a that Bedard a crosby level talent was in same draft class) going #2 and #3 that passing on Mitchkov was a no brainer.

Edit: no to trading Zegras while his value is low. Drysdale was different because Philly was pretty desperate to get something for Cutter and being able to get Cutter for injury prone Dman they wouldn't ever get a better deal than that. I think Zegras still fits perfectly on the team he either has to earn a Center spot back or he becomes a playmaking winger longterm like a poor mans Marner.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Meh I’m no on board with trading zegras, but I think if pv can get what he wants for him he’ll be gone

I do think a top 10 pick + would be in the range for ov to pull trigger

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Obviously, Silayev is all about projection at this point. Any team that drafts him will have to rely heavily on their Russian scout(s) and interview the player when (if) he comes over later this month. Also they'll have to do their due diligence with his coaches and others who watch the KHL closely. They'll talk to the CSB scouts and find out why they ranked him the #1 Euro ahead of the highly touted Demidov. This is a little different situation than Bischel back in 2022. Scouts SEE something with Silayev and it is much more than just a shutdown D. If a team thinks he's got Hedman potential then he's a bargain at any spot in the draft. If they don't, he won't be in their top 10.

Stats may come back to bite people as well. As a rookie in the SHL, Hedman had 4 points in 39 games but then exploded in his 2nd season as a late birthday draft eligible player. Silayev could do something similar next year. I'm willing to take the risk on Silayev but I know others aren't and that's ok. As long as the Ducks do their due diligence they should get a very good piece for the future core with that pick.

Let's do look at Hedman. Let us ask the question, "Did Hedman show the propensity of having higher offensive capabilities?"

Hedman, Victor Stats (pre-draft).png

Sure, Hedman only scored 4 points in the SHL (Elitserien) in his D-1 season, but did you see his offensive production at the WJC-18 and J20 in that same year? If we look at his D-2 season in the J18 and J20, there's obvious offense there to be witnessed and projectable.

I like using stats to find a pattern to see if the projectability of whatever talent is highly feasible, feasible, or unlikely feasible.

Silayev, Stats (pre-draft).png

I currently do not see a pattern that Silayev will be putting up points on the same level as Hedman, especially since Hedman has shown his scoring prowess in his D-2 season at the J20 level. A 9-game offensive flash doesn't do it. As for the defense, I'm kinda spoiled with Hampus' defense in his D+0 season and reports that he turned the team around to get them into the SHL qualif/playoffs from HA. Also, Hampus, like Hedman, did show a history of scoring pre-draft.

As for CSB (EU) ranking, it's a CSB EU ranking and not a combined ranking. We don't know where Silayev would be ranked in a combined ranking. It's possible that if it were combined, that Silayev could be 4th overall behind Celebrini, Lev, and Lindstrom. As for Silayev ahead of Demidov, it's possible that they like Silayev's shutdown ability and transition game combo seen at the KHL level (especially on a smaller ice surface like in the NHL) than Demidov's offensive abilities in the weaker MHL level (similar to junior hockey).

If Silayev had an offensive history similar to Hedman, then Silayev would hands down be the #2 pick or possibly be in contention for #1.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
If it was so easy to score that many points in a 9 game stretch in the KHL as a 17 year old defenseman, than we must be assuming he’s the 20th or so player to do it right? I don’t care if he’s scored them over 1 game or 40 or 60, he’s done what no other prospects his age did offensively in the second/ third best league there is.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Many people are assuming that PV is going to be here for the next several years... :dunno:

His vision of a team may or may not succeed, and Zegras may or may not be part of that team.

Trading Zegras will be very difficult for magic beans. It will be tough internal sell to the fans and ownership. A hockey trade is possible though Zegras' trade value is pretty low right now.
Yes, I am assuming PV will be here for several years. He is improving the team to a degree GMBM never even approached. He's drafting well, putting his stamp on the team. And he says he wants this team to compete for the playoffs next year. Why would we stop that?

Disagree on Zegras' trade value being low. Chatter around him is sky high, to the point that even mainstream hockey media is talking about him going to Montreal or to Carolina for Necas. If he's traded, it won't be for magic beans. Verbeek's no dummy.

Reactions: Beckett

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yes, I am assuming PV will be here for several years. He is improving the team to a degree GMBM never even approached. He's drafting well, putting his stamp on the team. And he says he wants this team to compete for the playoffs next year. Why would we stop that?

Disagree on Zegras' trade value being low. Chatter around him is sky high, to the point that even mainstream hockey media is talking about him going to Montreal or to Carolina for Necas. If he's traded, it won't be for magic beans. Verbeek's no dummy.
Verbeek has a long way to go to get to Bob Murray's level of team building. Maybe make the playoffs once.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Verbeek has a long way to go to get to Bob Murray's level of team building. Maybe make the playoffs once.
Agreed. But he inherited a truly terrible hockey team and has improved it, and he has taken impressive, un-Murray-like risks along the way (like trading Drysdale for Cutter). I think we'll see the fruits of that next season and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad