With Hayes on waivers, Boston has nothing to show for Tyler Seguin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
how would you react if we sang the praises of Sakic? funny how Chia wins a cup in Boston and takes the team to 2 cup finals and goes to Edmonton and in 2 seasons turns a chronically losing franchise into a 103 point team, yet because of a few bad trades in Boston and Edmonton that haven't seem to hurt either team, he's "easily one of the worst GM's in the league" :facepalm:

i guess that's why he was also named as one of the finalists for GM of the year....because he's one of the worst? c'mon you guys! :shakehead

...McDavid... (And Draisaitl)

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Leafs have won the cup before. 13 times. I still don't think the cup wins negate bad moves though

The Roman empire, to which my ancestors belonged, was ruling the world a couple of thousands years ago. That was cool. But I don't feel it much.
Your cups hockey wise happened in ancient times too. Get to win something in modern times, will ya?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Bruins traded both Seguin and Hamilton by ages of 21. what were they thinking? At least the Leafs did not know who they were giving up in the Kessel trade.
Anyone remember the Jared Knight hype?:laugh: He was a future star because he was involved in the trade.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
In all fairness, Boston already had nothing to show for the Seguin trade before Hayes left.

The video from Behind the B is amazing - I agree with everyone who can't believe that they let it be taped. That said, I think it was literally the first episode of the show - and after four seasons, there's been absolutely NO behind the scenes stuff like this that's ever been shown.

The trade was clearly a raw deal that the Bruins felt they were backed into, and they didn't get enough for Seguin. The Hayes/Smith trade was pretty damn bad too all alone. Clearly they're much better at drafting than trading - for example, I'd say there's a good 10 or 15 teams that would pick Pastrnak over their 2014 first round pick if they could turn back time...or at least wouldn't be disappointed if Pastrnak got dumped in the lineup in place of their pick.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Are their are any good GMs? Hard to tell. The Borg collective here seems to do a great job though....

the only positives you hear are Leaf fans about whoever the current Leaf GM is. I remember when so many of them thought Burke was doing a great job like it was yesterday.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
the only positives you hear are Leaf fans about whoever the current Leaf GM is. I remember when so many of them thought Burke was doing a great job like it was yesterday.

If you want to play that card, can I bring up how many non-Leaf fans thought Burke was the best GM in the NHl and he would never leave Anaheim for Toronto? "Dream on Leaf Fans...".

I sure remember that.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Matt Belesky/David Backes signing, Dougie Hamilton trade.... Burke is an old drunk that leaves teams in a mess everytime

Well Belesky's first year was acceptable, last year wasn't, likely due to injuries. Hamilton trade was good, get all the facts, Backes is a 20 goal guy excellent leader and worth the money, at least to this point, as all free agents prove the end of their deals may not work out, at the moment he is fine. Try again.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Not really at all. I'm pretty happy Boston lost Seguin for nothing. I would expect bruins fans to feel different though

Some do some don't, they went to the finals without him and won the presidents trophy without him, Dallas has done nothing with him, wait til Hitch gets ahold of him, should be good.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
At the time, Chia traded Seguin for an elite defensive winger (And was a defensive winger for the entirety of his Bruins seasons), a promising great defensive winger in Smith, an AHL monster sniper, and promising D prospect for an one dimensional poor attitude winger (Seguin played with Bergeron and Marchand often at RW), a good but declining player in Peverley who suffered near death experience (Basically my point is Peverley unfortunately wasn't able to do much for either team), and like one or two other no name pieces. That wasn't a bad trade in hindsight. But yeah the outcome was dreadful.
Yep people love to pretend it's the worst trade ever for some reason. Just the season before last Ericsson and Smith combined for 55 goals. Smith was playing for Florida of course though thanks to Sweeney.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
Lol, this is all because of Chiarelli?

He didn't let Eriksson walk for nothing

He didn't trade Reilly Smith for Hayes

Yes it was a bad trade even at the time, although it was cap motivated and he wasn't the only cook in that kitchen either. I get that Bruins fans love to have a scapegoat, but if you don't address what's really bad with your team you'll never get any better.

He was still the GM, it was his job to find the best return, and his trade history doesn't lead me to believe that he wasn't the driving force. He brought up Seguin in that clip everyone else gave input.

Saying that i dont think he is as bad a GM as HF brass says, There's so much more involved that an average user wouldn't or couldn't understand.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
For anyone ragging on the return we got you have a point, but to say we shouldn't have traded him in really ill informed. There are real and bad reasons why he is not in Boston (along with some other player(s)) anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad