With Hayes on waivers, Boston has nothing to show for Tyler Seguin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I'm so glad Seguin landed in Dallas.

Watching that youtube video video of the B's management (at the time) it's apparent that they were trying to force Seguin to play a style he wasn't suited to. Glad he is flourishing now.

It really seemed like Boston pulled the trigger way too early. Did they really gauge the interest level for him? Going to say they didn't otherwise they would have gotten a lot more than they did and we wouldn't be having this discussion

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Unbelievable how that all ended up happening. Leafs handed them a superstar draft pick by luck and the Bruins ended up trading what would be their best player for a decade for Loui Eriksson and spare parts, nothing of which remains on the Bruins roster anymore.

Is this one of the worst trades ever?

3-4 years after trade and nothing to show for it is shocking. Usually takes 10-15 years for a trade tree to end.

I see wut ur doin here... still better than the kessel trade

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
For what is worth, Griffin Reinhart got picked up by Vegas

Barzal is going to add insult to injury when he starts playing in NHL to Chia's resume

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I thought it was Neely who forced Chiarelli to trade Seguin.

He was and likely still is a massive influence on our GMs, and I absolutely hate it. Great guy for the players to look up to, but he's way too old fashioned and his old gang of cronies ended our window way too early. He was given too much power and I think some of the others were afraid to disagree with him. Luckily Sweeney and our new scouting team have done a terrific job of filling the cupboards back up again, but we were pretty decimated for a while there. Not good enough to be good, not bad enough to be bad. Perennial 9 seed, sports hell.

The "half of Kane" bit gets me every time because Seguin was one of our better forwards in the 2013 finals, whereas Kane was a non factor until game 5.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Not to derail the thread but Boston has nothing on their roster that is even worth half as much as Matthews. Not even Bergeron has that kind of value at his age.

We still have Andersen and Kapanen to show for Kessel. Bruins have nothing for Seguin.

Boston had so much potential to be a team very much like Pittsburgh and Chicago and win multiple cups.

Hamilton, Seguin make the Bruins a cup contender even today.

I'd disagree. I wouldn't trade any two of:

Marchand
McAvoy
Pastrnak
Bergeron

2 for 1 for Austin Matthews so obviously there are players worth more than half of Austin Matthews. In fact, I wouldn't even consider Pastrnak and McAvoy for him at all, let alone the Selke winner and top LW in the NHL.

Trade still stings, but it's obvious from this post here and the original that your goal was to troll.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Marchand
McAvoy
Pastrnak
Bergeron

2 for 1 for Austin Matthews so obviously there are players worth more than half of Austin Matthews. In fact, I wouldn't even consider Pastrnak and McAvoy for him at all, let alone the Selke winner and top LW in the NHL.

Trade still stings, but it's obvious from this post here and the original that your goal was to troll.

Yes that point is utter nonsense. Matthews isn't exactly McDavid.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC

Marchand
McAvoy
Pastrnak
Bergeron

Auston Matthews

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Looks to me like when Chiarelli asks for their thoughts, all he gets is, "Yeah, he needs to go."

yep.

it looks like chia hates the idea and is asking for anyone to give him a way out. i actually thought the return was ok at the time. loui eriksson was in his prime.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Thornton trade was fine. Made room for Savard and Chara.

Bad trade, with a good outcome. That should be a fair assessment?

I get that a player may not fit in according to management but the guys in charge seemed determined to just get rid of Seguin no matter what. It seemed rushed and sloppy and like there was little thought put into it.

Yeah. I've seen that video a couple of times and listening to the arguments brought up by the management group, they don't really produce much of a coherent case at all, not to mention a good analysis of the situation. It sounded like people voicing a general dislike rather than analyzing a crucial decision.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Easily one of the worst trades of the past decade.

It's one thing to give up a pick or prospect that has yet to turn into a top NHLer for free, it's another thing altogether to trade a player about to enter his prime for next to nothing.

Shocking that Chia still has a job in the NHL following that disaster.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Chiarelli is easily one of the worst GM in the league. He has is *** saved by a generational talent

He definitively is. Got lucky with the deals he dished out at the beginning as a Bruins GM which resulted in a cup but then his luck faded and **** began to pile up. The Seguin trade was one of the worst in Bruins history, even worse than the Thornton trade.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
You could have traded Thornton for better futures and still had room for Savard and Chara.

This. Just because Boston couldn't afford to keep their ferrari doesn't mean you sell it for a bag of pucks. There would have been better offers if they shopped around.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Every team has screwed up with talented players. In that division alone...

Montreal ran Lafleur and Roy out of town and trade P.K. Buffalo lost Hasek, Briere and Drury. Tampa lost most of their players for nothing. Toronto (well they haven't really had anyone but...) ran McDonald out of town and soured Sittler and traded Rask and gave Boston Seguin. Florida's barely gotten anything for all their top draft picks for 15 years (Horton and Campbell to Boston for Wideman?). Ottawa let Chara walk as he was entering his prime.
etc.

It happens. Wish they had gotten more or Eriksson never got the concussions but... c'est la vie.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Wonder if Chia would make a Draisaitl available for, say, the rights to Kunitz?

That's probably to much for PIT to give up though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad