OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Watching the Memorial Cup has given me a little cup envy. I wonder what the chances are that 50 Below and TNSE might collaborate on a Memorial Cup bid for Winnipeg? I think it would be fantastic, although I guess it's an open question if there are more than a few thousand Winnipeggers familiar enough with the event that tehy'd be prepared to shell out for ticket packages.

Reactions: Guardian17

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Watching the Memorial Cup has given me a little cup envy. I wonder what the chances are that 50 Below and TNSE might collaborate on a Memorial Cup bid for Winnipeg? I think it would be fantastic, although I guess it's an open question if there are more than a few thousand Winnipeggers familiar enough with the event that tehy'd be prepared to shell out for ticket packages.

Next year is in Kamloops. Then to the OHL , then to QMJHL.

I think if the Ice had an arena they would have gotten it next year

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I think if the Ice had an arena they would have gotten it next year

Do you think? I'd imagine there must be some clubs who have been waiting a long time to host. Although mind you some markets like Swift Current and Prince Albert are probably just too small or out of the way to get it.

Speaking of the ICE arena, I wonder what's going on there. We're three years into the existence of the Winnipeg ICE and not a peep on the new arena. Personally I don't mind Wayne Fleming, it's convenient for me and it suits my needs just fine. But I would think it must be tough for the organization. It would be hard to make real money in a building like that.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Do you think? I'd imagine there must be some clubs who have been waiting a long time to host. Although mind you some markets like Swift Current and Prince Albert are probably just too small or out of the way to get it.

Speaking of the ICE arena, I wonder what's going on there. We're three years into the existence of the Winnipeg ICE and not a peep on the new arena. Personally I don't mind Wayne Fleming, it's convenient for me and it suits my needs just fine. But I would think it must be tough for the organization. It would be hard to make real money in a building like that.

They are going to be really good again next year. Typically you have to "show" you are going to be a quality team and you have to have a rink that has certain things to be awarded it. When Brandon hosted they had to upgrade a bunch of things to get it.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

I haven't heard anything.

They definitely need a new arena if they hope to host a Memorial Cup.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Why not hold it in CLC? It's not like it will be busy with other hockey bookings at this time of year. :sarcasm:

A hah hah hah ha... sad but true :cry:

But yes, even if the ICE had their own rink it would probably be no more than 5,000 seats. You would think there would be more demand than that for the Mem Cup. Although then again, maybe not... I watched some Mem Cup action from Harbour Station in Saint John and even for the opening game involving the hometown Sea Dogs it wasn't a sellout.

I guess the fact that the Mem Cup basically needs the building for almost two weeks straight kills any chance of it happening at the CLC except maybe for the final and one or two other games. So I guess new rink it is.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well the Oil Kings have been eliminated from the Memorial Cup after round robin play. They’re going to lose essentially their entire top six, their three best D, some important role players and their starting goalie. They shouldn’t be a threat next year at all, we’ll see if the ICE can run it back next year.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Well the Oil Kings have been eliminated from the Memorial Cup after round robin play. They’re going to lose essentially their entire top six, their three best D, some important role players and their starting goalie. They shouldn’t be a threat next year at all, we’ll see if the ICE can run it back next year.

I never followed the Memorial Cup before Winnipeg got a junior team and of course there wasn't one the past couple seasons, so this is the first time for me. It's been a bit of an eye opener.

I am amazed at the overall quality of the QMJHL/OHL representatives. The ICE are a great team but they just could not get past the absolute juggernaut Oil Kings, who have probably multiple future NHLers on the roster. So on that basis I figured the Oil Kings would roll over the other three teams, but it didn't turn out that way... instead, the Oil Kings were given way more than they could handle.

This tournament has made me realize the ICE have a hell of a long way to go to be a Memorial Cup contender. Because they'd probably be getting throttled in some of these games if they were there instead of Edmonton.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Still no ICE home schedule when all the other teams in the division have had theirs out since last week. What's the holdup?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Still no ICE home schedule when all the other teams in the division have had theirs out since last week. What's the holdup?
They aren't sure they will still be in Winnipeg? Maybe that new arena project's DNR clause has kicked in and has been taken off life support. They certainly aren't getting the fan support to build one, even if they had a place to put it. 1500 per game (not even selling out their temporary home) is not a good look for a city this size. Only Swift Current draws fewer fans. Hell, their last season in Cranbrook averaged 2200 a game.

Maybe they're looking to setup shop in the Morden-Winkler area. I think Pembina Valley Outlaws has a ring to it. Although, the logo could be problematic. Outlaws usually wear masks. :laugh:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
They aren't sure they will still be in Winnipeg? Maybe that new arena project's DNR clause has kicked in and has been taken off life support. They certainly aren't getting the fan support to build one, even if they had a place to put it. 1500 per game (not even selling out their temporary home) is not a good look for a city this size. Only Swift Current draws fewer fans. Hell, their last season in Cranbrook averaged 2200 a game.

Maybe they're looking to setup shop in the Morden-Winkler area. I think Pembina Valley Outlaws has a ring to it. Although, the logo could be problematic. Outlaws usually wear masks. :laugh:

That's what I'm worried about! Although I will note that they aren't acting like a team that's leaving town. They are doing the community event circuit, hustling tickets and running a kids hockey camp this summer, and of course they have announced the preseason schedule with dates set for The Rink.

The Gregg Drinnan blog piece is interesting though. If you look at hockeydb's charts, almost every WHL team is down in attendance over the past few years. Obviously covid is the main factor, but in most cases attendance was slipping even before the pandemic.

The ICE are in a situation that's even worse than the other teams, though. When they came to town I figured it would be an easy sellout of 1,800 fans every night. It certainly hasn't worked out that way. Actual legit sellouts are rare and possibly nonexistent. I went to all but a few of the games last season and I don't think there was really even one where you couldn't see empty seats on the benches. Now I do realize that people get up and walk around, stand, etc., but when you have a half-full row that tells me there have to be some unsold seats there. The first playoff game vs. PA stands out as a packed house (it was bobblehead night too), maybe the closest thing to a legit sellout all season. Conversely, there were plenty of games where it looked like there were fewer than 1,000 people in the stands. Most weeknight games were like that. And of course there are usually giveaways/promos for those weeknight games, but even with those they can't come close to filling the place in spite of having Manitoba's most exciting hockey team last season.

I wonder how long it can keep going on like this?

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Weekday-730x411.jpg

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Pretty crazy that the ICE start their regular season on Sept 24 but don't play at home until Oct 29. Is the Wayne closed for renovations or something?!

EDIT: I see the Bisons are playing at The Rink in October and not going back to The Wayne until November. So something's up with the barn. But are they doing something cool, or is it just super-boring stuff like spraying for roaches or something like that? What is it that it can't be done over the summer? So mysterious.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
So they aren't spraying the Wayne for roaches after all, but the real reason is not all that exciting either... it's a new ice plant.

Maybe the university could throw us ICE fans a bone and do at least something to improve the fan experience. Even some better hand dryers in the washrooms instead of the ancient ones that work about as well as an elderly person with asthma breathing on your hands :laugh:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
That's what I'm worried about! Although I will note that they aren't acting like a team that's leaving town. They are doing the community event circuit, hustling tickets and running a kids hockey camp this summer, and of course they have announced the preseason schedule with dates set for The Rink.

The Gregg Drinnan blog piece is interesting though. If you look at hockeydb's charts, almost every WHL team is down in attendance over the past few years. Obviously covid is the main factor, but in most cases attendance was slipping even before the pandemic.

The ICE are in a situation that's even worse than the other teams, though. When they came to town I figured it would be an easy sellout of 1,800 fans every night. It certainly hasn't worked out that way. Actual legit sellouts are rare and possibly nonexistent. I went to all but a few of the games last season and I don't think there was really even one where you couldn't see empty seats on the benches. Now I do realize that people get up and walk around, stand, etc., but when you have a half-full row that tells me there have to be some unsold seats there. The first playoff game vs. PA stands out as a packed house (it was bobblehead night too), maybe the closest thing to a legit sellout all season. Conversely, there were plenty of games where it looked like there were fewer than 1,000 people in the stands. Most weeknight games were like that. And of course there are usually giveaways/promos for those weeknight games, but even with those they can't come close to filling the place in spite of having Manitoba's most exciting hockey team last season.

I wonder how long it can keep going on like this?
As someone that reads financial statements all day I wonder that myself. Admittedly I was one of the pessimistic ones. Just based on the past the there was at one time 4 junior A teams in Winnipeg and that number went to one. Which is owned by the same group.

Despite what people say Winnipeg is a Jets town not a hockey town. Bisons, Freeze and Blues all play in front of basically friends and family despite how good the hockey is.

When also factor in that they have the most expensive travel schedule as they are the most easterly located team it makes you wonder how many years this can keep up. Essentially they are playing in front of less fans and spending probably twice as much on travel than they were in Cranbrook.

Depending on who you talk to the odds of getting a new arena built anytime soon are getting slimmer.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
As someone that reads financial statements all day I wonder that myself. Admittedly I was one of the pessimistic ones. Just based on the past the there was at one time 4 junior A teams in Winnipeg and that number went to one. Which is owned by the same group.

Despite what people say Winnipeg is a Jets town not a hockey town. Bisons, Freeze and Blues all play in front of basically friends and family despite how good the hockey is.

When also factor in that they have the most expensive travel schedule as they are the most easterly located team it makes you wonder how many years this can keep up. Essentially they are playing in front of less fans and spending probably twice as much on travel than they were in Cranbrook.

Depending on who you talk to the odds of getting a new arena built anytime soon are getting slimmer.

Interesting post.

Junior A just doesn't sell in cities. I'm not sure that I've ever seen junior A hockey thrive in a city that has any higher levels of hockey. It does best in Portage and Dauphin sized towns where it's the biggest game in town.

But I do think major junior hockey has enough sizzle to sell in cities and we have seen that numerous times with some very well-drawing WHL teams in larger markets. The tough thing for the ICE is that they have a poor stage to display their product on, and a new one is going to cost a pile of money. In a small market you could convince the government and the community to support such an undertaking, but in a place like Winnipeg those kinds of implied threats of "help us with our new rink, or we'll leave" just won't work here. Nobody cares enough.

So what do they do? Keep slogging it out at Wayne Fleming Arena? Or convince some rich people to kick in towards an arena project that is probably going to cost the better part of $100 million. I love the ICE, but do they seem like the kind of operation you'd want to sink your RRSP into? Probably not.

The ICE don't need a palace, but they do need something better than what they've got if they're going to last in Winnipeg. The challenge for them is that even a modest upgrade is going to come with a huge price tag.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The ICE are having a blowout merch sale, half off everything except jerseys. And they'll kick in a season ticket if you spend $500.

From past experience, these types of huge blowout sales normally happen when a team is either leaving town or changing logos. Just saying.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad