Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

i dont really know if any of those guys would be anything other then more will sirman types, probably could play but would be moved out when it was time to win. if one of the 03s show up and show something id rather invest in them. the americans could probably come in and play well, but when was the last time we spend the money or was able to sign a us player? was it boka? and that was right after the draft, not a year later.

depending on the coach i actually think that this team could take a step, but there are significant questions with player usage, goaltending and guys like staios and henault stepping up. personally id keep corcoran, but much like boka he needs to be use effectively, not run into the ground, kid hasnt had a chance to thrive based on how much the play him.

piroinen/medina
staios/corcoran
import/ladd
robinson/henault
jodin

cuylle/fouty/afan
douglas/angle/purboo
d'amico/playfair/mcdonald
zito/johnston/?
?

you can always find good players after training camp to fill depth roles from other teams, get one or two of them on the cheep to fill out the roster

the bad thing is there doesnt really seem to be much depth in the prospet pool, no room for error with guys like johnston/zito, no room for error on the import pick.

Don't disagree, was just basing things on Windsor looking to do things as cheap as possible. I certainly would rather see most/all the OAs and a couple of others moved but if it turns out they're not willing to invest more then the minimum in the on ice product, both financially and asset wise then what I posted could be the direction they go.

I would like to see some youth from within but as you pointed, they haven't had much luck with US born players. Is it based on financials? Not willing to spend or is there more to it? I have no idea personally but getting just a couple of those players to report could turn their fortunes around pretty quickly.

Lots of good young talent in the prospect pool and on the roster, just hoping the new structure in place will focus as much on the product as they likely will on potential financial returns.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Don't disagree, was just basing things on Windsor looking to do things as cheap as possible. I certainly would rather see most/all the OAs and a couple of others moved but if it turns out they're not willing to invest more then the minimum in the on ice product, both financially and asset wise then what I posted could be the direction they go.

I would like to see some youth from within but as you pointed, they haven't had much luck with US born players. Is it based on financials? Not willing to spend or is there more to it? I have no idea personally but getting just a couple of those players to report could turn their fortunes around pretty quickly.

Lots of good young talent in the prospect pool and on the roster, just hoping the new structure in place will focus as much on the product as they likely will on potential financial returns.

i have no idea if its money, but hl11 (who was rychel's mouthpiece) always used that excuse, which means it probably was an issue. plus we draft lower end americans now, which is fine, but those guys rarely come to the ohl.

i think our 01 draft was fine (the 01 draft sucked for most teams, that gives us an edge), but outside of fouty the 02s are questionable. we traded for cuylle so i dont count him, and im pretty confident that mcdonald will be a quality player, but theres still questions there, same with robinson/medina. theres really nothing else. the high end guys make up for it, just leads to significant depth issues this year, it be nice to have 1 or 2 guys that can slot into the 4th line and actaully grow with the team and not be disposable or cut after a year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Haha man, I missed a lot this morning...

The only OA I'd see them keeping, strictly from a specialty POV, is Purboo. He's a 30-goal guy and you'll need that. Incze, Stevenson, Boka, Garagan... all can be dealt or released. Boka could fetch a fair bit, too. Personally, I'd like to see Piiroinen/Medina duo; that could pay dividends in a season or two. That's some serious competition.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I brought it up earlier and I am not targeting you. What is meant by "you need someone with experience." Does it have more to do with only having 30 cards and you can't possibly trade everyone? Spits needed a "veteran" presence a guy with experience last year with Allen. Late in the year he was undisciplined and got suspended a couple times and the team still finished 8th in the conference.

This isn't a discussion whether a team needs experience. I just think it's easy to throw out that term. It's more about getting guys with experience that can really make a difference and help the team.

Boka's production declined even with getting more ice time. Does anyone believe Letowski actually knows how to utilize him best?

Purboo was fine but I would be disappointed if Purboo was kept around with a team that isn't trying to win a championship this year and would move a more talented player like Frasca.

We went through this earlier this past year with Morgan. Whether he asked for a trade it doesn't matter. Letowski wasn't able to utilize him properly and get the right fit, that goes on Rychel as well. I would have preferred if they just took the keys away from Rychel. If Rychel is phased out is he going to throw away assets to try and make the team real good for one last kick at the can? Will ownership watch him very carefully? If that's the case they just should have ripped the band-aid off.
You should never play 18 - 16yr old players ( ya I know the rules), and unless you are in an all in year you should never play 18 19yr olds. It is better to have a smattering of all age groups so you can keep away from the upper and lower ends of the junior cycle. Experienced players usually take some of the pressure off of the younger players especially the first half of the year. Somebody needs to show the kids the ropes. Kinda like an apprenticeship. It is a broad paint brush but it is really the only word that fits the description.

Reactions: OHLTG

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Unless something changes Pirionen/Medina is your tandem. Spits will only be picking 1 import this year - of course we only have to look back to last year and see how quick things can change come import draft time.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The thing with experience is it's not always shown 100% on the ice. You need guys who are good with the team; chemistry, leadership, off-ice assistance, and, yeah, on-ice stuff. Despite his suspensions last season, Allen did what he had to do and I heard nothing but good about him. Ideally, you mix a guy like Allen with another OA or two that can produce points, but that didn't happen last season.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The thing with experience is it's not always shown 100% on the ice. You need guys who are good with the team; chemistry, leadership, off-ice assistance, and, yeah, on-ice stuff. Despite his suspensions last season, Allen did what he had to do and I heard nothing but good about him. Ideally, you mix a guy like Allen with another OA or two that can produce points, but that didn't happen last season.

ill i will say is that you cant assume that just because a guy is 20 that he is a good leader. as another poster said (i believe it was ohloutsider), the room was a mess this year, 20 year old didnt help

Reactions: Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You don't bring in someone who's bad in the room, but veteran experience is necessary on a team. Allen was brought up and you don't necessarily need a ton of points to be a valuable asset as a leader.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You don't bring in someone who's bad in the room, but veteran experience is necessary on a team. Allen was brought up and you don't necessarily need a ton of points to be a valuable asset as a leader.

see previous post, just because someone is 20 doesnt make him 'good in the room', as witnessed by last years room.

Last edited:

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
see previous post, just because someone is 20 doesnt make him 'good in the room', as witnessed by last years room.

Actually Allen was very well liked and respected by his teammates. From what I have heard from players is that they are really going to miss him. The only time I heard that there was issues in the room last season is when Kutkevicius & Morgan where there, That I heard from a few players. Before you generalize that the dressing room environment was a mess......at least know your facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Actually Allen was very well liked and respected by his teammates. From what I have heard from players is that they are really going to miss him.

im not going to get into it other then say what i said. im sure there were some that did, but there were some that did not. regardless, the room was a mess last year and bringing in a 20 year old didnt help that or clean it up

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Again, you don't bring someone in this time unless they're good in the room. Allen was good in the room, from all accounts. Others not so much. Noobdy is assuming that all 20 year olds are good, but you also don't stop bringing in veterans because of a couple of bad apples last season.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
im not going to get into it other then say what i said. im sure there were some that did, but there were some that did not. regardless, the room was a mess last year and bringing in a 20 year old didnt help that or clean it up

And you know this how? Where you a fly on the wall? See.....these type of comments are here say.....rumors, or just made up lies. Allen was a great teammate, he was always with the younger players on the team, he was actively in involved in the community, often times with the younger players on the team. So instead of making things up on the spot.......learn the facts.

Reactions: Teflon

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
A 2nd for Boka!!!! Damn u better sign WR right now if he gets that. 4-5 is my guess. He has 1 year left OA at that. A 4th and the new team eats his education pkg would fit what the team is doing. You can’t use that idiotic 5th pick as comparison, in jest or not! Frasca is interesting. I’d suspect you may pull a 3rd for him. Heard today Spits aren’t looking to give Affy a no trade clause. That could be interesting.
I dont think Affy cares about a no trade or not as he probably is just using this opportunity as a stepping stone for a one and done.

As for Boka , kind of disappointed in his overall play but was it the room, laziness or TL putting a muzzle on any creative or physical play.Purboo can also go, to slow mostly uninterested but has a heavy shot rarely used low hockey IQ.

Would like to see 2 new OA in not the O maybe the Q or W. A couple with fire in the belly looking for a leader for a C since Spits dont have any leaders at the moment imo.Maybe an OA from a mem cup winner who's the odd man out.

We need Johnston to sign, that is imperitive moving forward , we cant have another zero sum draft.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
ill i will say is that you cant assume that just because a guy is 20 that he is a good leader. as another poster said (i believe it was ohloutsider), the room was a mess this year, 20 year old didnt help
Never said being 20 makes you a good leader, just said it brings experience. Don't confuse the two. Great leaders can be any age. Henrique was a quiet leader at 17. Trump is going on 100 and he will never be a great leader.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Actually Allen was very well liked and respected by his teammates. From what I have heard from players is that they are really going to miss him. The only time I heard that there was issues in the room last season is when Kutkevicius & Morgan where there, That I heard from a few players. Before you generalize that the dressing room environment was a mess......at least know your facts.

edit- just not worth the drama for the board. In the past you e said you were done interacting with me, I’d prefer you to stick you your word on that and I will do the same.

best wishes

Last edited:
Reactions: randomhero4life

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Never said being 20 makes you a good leader, just said it brings experience. Don't confuse the two. Great leaders can be any age. Henrique was a quiet leader at 17. Trump is going on 100 and he will never be a great leader.

Was only referencing you saying the room was a mess, that’s all. wasn’t directed to your comments, I agree with you

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Exactly

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Actually Allen was very well liked and respected by his teammates. From what I have heard from players is that they are really going to miss him. The only time I heard that there was issues in the room last season is when Kutkevicius & Morgan where there, That I heard from a few players. Before you generalize that the dressing room environment was a mess......at least know your facts.[/QUOTE

So the room was a mess?
Haha

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Again, you don't bring someone in this time unless they're good in the room. Allen was good in the room, from all accounts. Others not so much. Noobdy is assuming that all 20 year olds are good, but you also don't stop bringing in veterans because of a couple of bad apples last season.

Bad apples.
Laughable

Reactions: SRW

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
edit- just not worth the drama for the board. In the past you e said you were done interacting with me, I’d prefer you to stick you your word on that and I will do the same.

best wishes

Making things up and sharing them on here......that could be construed as drama on this board. You are right though I will stick to what I said before, it's obviously for the best.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bad apples.
Laughable

Would love to hear why the vets were so valuable this past year and the team fell pretty flat. If the team struggles again. I would love to hear the reason why because these guys upcoming learned from vets like Allen/Purboo/Boka. We need to move past the idea that just because there are vets and are perceived as good leaders that it means the team will be good. Actually if the room was good last year that would explain a lot as to why they didn't perform well. In other words they come up short in other areas such as G/D/F, PP, PK etc... Instead of trying to have great "leaders" they should try and build a proper roster with players and let leadership take place naturally instead of forcing it with vets.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They fell short because of coaching and a rift with some of the veterans. It's not all veterans that were the issue and we can't make it seem like it was. They brought Allen, Campbell, and Incze in for experience/leadership and, from all accounts, he was exactly what they had hoped for. Can we say the same for guys like Boka, Purboo, etc? No, not necessarily.

If there are holes on a team, you bring people in who can fix them. They lacked experience last season, which was noted multiple times, and some of the vets (Campell, Allen, Incze I know for sure) helped that.

It feels like people want to force the "all you veterans were horrible" idea, but it's not the case. There were bad apples, but there were good ones, too, and those good ones deserve credit.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
They fell short because of coaching and a rift with some of the veterans. It's not all veterans that were the issue and we can't make it seem like it was. They brought Allen, Campbell, and Incze in for experience/leadership and, from all accounts, he was exactly what they had hoped for. Can we say the same for guys like Boka, Purboo, etc? No, not necessarily.

If there are holes on a team, you bring people in who can fix them. They lacked experience last season, which was noted multiple times, and some of the vets (Campell, Allen, Incze I know for sure) helped that.

It feels like people want to force the "all you veterans were horrible" idea, but it's not the case. There were bad apples, but there were good ones, too, and those good ones deserve credit.

Which vets were bad apples to u?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Coaching? Well fortunately that group is back......

Nobody has said all veterans were horrible. What was the value of these vets when the team was pretty bad and lost 27 or 28 of their last 32? That sounds like an 18 wheeler going off a cliff to me.

There are probably some good seeds, some bad ones. What this team sorely lacked was talent.

Reactions: Sec108
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad