Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Boka for a 5th rd pick? I'm glad your not the GM. A 2nd for sure or maybe a a 3rd and a 4th. Dentist's son was a 5th round pick, I think Boka is better than him!!!

Given his lack of offence, I think you'd have an issue getting a 2nd. Like I said in my post, though, if he performs like we know he can, you could see the pick go from a 5th to a 3rd. The dentist's son wasn't a normal 5th, let's be honest. D'Amico was a 6th, too lol

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
A 2nd for Boka!!!! Damn u better sign WR right now if he gets that. 4-5 is my guess. He has 1 year left OA at that. A 4th and the new team eats his education pkg would fit what the team is doing. You can’t use that idiotic 5th pick as comparison, in jest or not! Frasca is interesting. I’d suspect you may pull a 3rd for him. Heard today Spits aren’t looking to give Affy a no trade clause. That could be interesting.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A 2nd for Boka!!!! Damn u better sign WR right now if he gets that. 4-5 is my guess. He has 1 year left OA at that. A 4th and the new team eats his education pkg would fit what the team is doing. You can’t use that idiotic 5th pick as comparison, in jest or not! Frasca is interesting. I’d suspect you may pull a 3rd for him. Heard today Spits aren’t looking to give Affy a no trade clause. That could be interesting.
It was humor - lighten up.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Taking a shot at a kid who played harder than any other ! Dropped in front of more pucks than any other ! Gave more of a ****e than any other and the best you can do is the above ? Do the world a favour and ****

Its time to move on
He has run his course on this team

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Wonder what the price tag is for Douglas & Corcoran? Can see the team keeping them past the deadline.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Wonder what the price tag is for Douglas & Corcoran? Can see the team keeping them past the deadline.

IMHO..With all the Spits ducks lined up now you can expect talk, at least here, to move to possible trades/waivers/signings.
If the GM is WR my guess is he’ll be working under a bit more control.
That would find Corcoran and Douglas here to the deadline at least. No spectacular moves . More moves that we’ll consider tweaking in nature. Team will be run in a more business like fashion...a lot more thought given to the bottom line..

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Douglas was going to be shipped but his nhl team wanted him here. Not sure why but that is what’s happening there. Outsider mind your own. As u quoted me I said even in jest... imho team will need Corcoran, the D is brutal as is, losing him would be brutal.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Douglas was going to be shipped but his nhl team wanted him here. Not sure why but that is what’s happening there. Outsider mind your own. As u quoted me I said even in jest... imho team will need Corcoran, the D is brutal as is, losing him would be brutal.

Maybe they shouldn't punch so much!.
Bad coaching!!!

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Corcoran can go. He's not a bad player but if they can lose with him they can lose without him. He isn't a necessity at this point.
They would lose more often without him. At least the way I look at it. If you trade him now (suspect he has a NTC) what’s the return. IMHO you need D-men now. Your potential signees are all forwards unless they can get a us flyer to show or Maybe a import that plays D. I’d jump at the chance to trade any /all our O/A for an o/a D

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The question about Corcoran should be can we afford to lose him?

If you take out Corcoran, and assume Stevenson isn't back for an OA (he's not good enough to be an OA), you've got...

Henault, Staios, Robinson, and Ladd returning.

Assuming Jodoin makes the club, he'll be a seventh guy, but you still need two more who can certainly play every day. You have to count on WR signing two D, plus having the veterans step up and fill Corcoran's minutes.

Unless you can get a good pick AND a minute-eating OA d-man (who's better than Stevenson), I don't think it's worth dealing Corcoran right now.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe he should of been tradedlast year?
Windsor didnt go any further in the year with him. Lol

member 71782

There should be lots of moves between now and the deadline.

All the OAs should be moveable pieces. The problem is if they are simply going to replace them with another OA with slightly higher skill sets at a higher cost there's no reason to move them other than requesting a trade or becoming an issue in the room.

Moving Stevenson makes sense but is it worth moving him for a 6th or 7th only to move a 4th to acquire another OA D to fill a spot on the 3rd pairing? Probably not, especially if this organization is going to look for value moves and ;likely stockpile assets.

Corcoran is likely the most valuable 19 year old on the team at this point in time. Last year, his third year of eligibility and only D in his third year he was the top D, by default. If Windsor can get a solid return for him they have three more D entering their third year of eligibility who should all be able to step up and take on his minutes. There is no reason to keep him again, especially if acquiring assets, looking for value and developing the younger players is the focus.

The D should be Staois, Ladd, Henault, Robinson, Stevenson (if they aren't looking to waste assets) Jodoin and another D from within the system. If these latest structural changes bring "stability" then they should be able to convince another D from within the system, an 02 preferably to report which would give them seven. Take the assets from moving Corcoran and stockpile for next year and beyond. If I'm not mistaken the draft board next year still has quite a few holes to fill.

Same with Douglas unless as was pointed out Dallas is putting pressure on Windsor to keep him. I can see starting the year with both of them but they should both be available come the deadline.

With Piiroinen and Medina, provided Piiroinen returns there is no reason not to move Incze sooner rather then later unless someone looks like they will be desperate for an OA goaltender heading into training camp. In that case hold onto him until August then move him. He's not a star but on a rebuilding team with a young goaltender to split time with he would do the trick.

Boka can be moved. He is replaceable and if Letowski is remaining that crutch needs to be removed. Boka has a very specific skill set that has value, albeit somewhat limited and while he took a lot of heat last year from the fans most of that should be directed at the coaching staff moreso then at Boka. The sooner he is moved the better unless the plan is to play him strictly on the 4th line and PK.

Purboo as well should be moved. I could see waiting until the deadline to move him to see if he can get off to a good start and bring up his value a bit but at the same time the sooner the better may be the way to go just in case he starts slow. Any time he remains here for he should not be playing higher then the 3rd line, some PK and if there are no other options some PP time as well but that should be kept to the second unit.

Garagan… It is what it is. I doubt he returns anything of value and will likely be waived. Brought in as a warm body and that is what his OA year will be if he plays anywhere in the league this year.

That's six or seven players, depending on Stevenson who should be moved by the deadline. There would be some value coming back but not as much as one would hope from that number of players being moved.

Anyone coming in needs to come from within the system and that may be a tough one if being frugal is a priority or they need to be FAs. Unless there is a solid deal with good pieces going both ways to be made any trades for players may be few and far between. The decisions may all come down to the financials involved. Is it cheaper to bring in a player through trade or are the assets better served kept in house and the education packages put out for signing a player already within the organization?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

All the OAs should be moveable pieces. The problem is if they are simply going to replace them with another OA with slightly higher skill sets at a higher cost there's no reason to move them other than requesting a trade or becoming an issue in the room.

Moving Stevenson makes sense but is it worth moving him for a 6th or 7th only to move a 4th to acquire another OA D to fill a spot on the 3rd pairing? Probably not, especially if this organization is going to look for value moves and ;likely stockpile assets.

Corcoran is likely the most valuable 19 year old on the team at this point in time. Last year, his third year of eligibility and only D in his third year he was the top D, by default. If Windsor can get a solid return for him they have three more D entering their third year of eligibility who should all be able to step up and take on his minutes. There is no reason to keep him again, especially if acquiring assets, looking for value and developing the younger players is the focus.

The D should be Staois, Ladd, Henault, Robinson, Stevenson (if they aren't looking to waste assets) Jodoin and another D from within the system. If these latest structural changes bring "stability" then they should be able to convince another D from within the system, an 02 preferably to report which would give them seven. Take the assets from moving Corcoran and stockpile for next year and beyond. If I'm not mistaken the draft board next year still has quite a few holes to fill.

Same with Douglas unless as was pointed out Dallas is putting pressure on Windsor to keep him. I can see starting the year with both of them but they should both be available come the deadline.

With Piiroinen and Medina, provided Piiroinen returns there is no reason not to move Incze sooner rather then later unless someone looks like they will be desperate for an OA goaltender heading into training camp. In that case hold onto him until August then move him. He's not a star but on a rebuilding team with a young goaltender to split time with he would do the trick.

Boka can be moved. He is replaceable and if Letowski is remaining that crutch needs to be removed. Boka has a very specific skill set that has value, albeit somewhat limited and while he took a lot of heat last year from the fans most of that should be directed at the coaching staff moreso then at Boka. The sooner he is moved the better unless the plan is to play him strictly on the 4th line and PK.

Purboo as well should be moved. I could see waiting until the deadline to move him to see if he can get off to a good start and bring up his value a bit but at the same time the sooner the better may be the way to go just in case he starts slow. Any time he remains here for he should not be playing higher then the 3rd line, some PK and if there are no other options some PP time as well but that should be kept to the second unit.

Garagan… It is what it is. I doubt he returns anything of value and will likely be waived. Brought in as a warm body and that is what his OA year will be if he plays anywhere in the league this year.

That's six or seven players, depending on Stevenson who should be moved by the deadline. There would be some value coming back but not as much as one would hope from that number of players being moved.

Anyone coming in needs to come from within the system and that may be a tough one if being frugal is a priority or they need to be FAs. Unless there is a solid deal with good pieces going both ways to be made any trades for players may be few and far between. The decisions may all come down to the financials involved. Is it cheaper to bring in a player through trade or are the assets better served kept in house and the education packages put out for signing a player already within the organization?
I can see any 1 of the group you mentioned moved. What I would not do is move all of them. For me it is either Purboo or Boka but not both. You need someone around with experience. You could bring someone in but why switch an apple for an apple? I'm sure moves will happen, they always do, but I hope this year moves made make sense.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Very well thought out post.
** wishing and hopin’...wouldn’t it be great I’f a couple of D-MEN (U.S. Flyers) decided to come to the Spits. It would make life much easier for WR or his replacement...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I can see any 1 of the group you mentioned moved. What I would not do is move all of them. For me it is either Purboo or Boka but not both. You need someone around with experience. You could bring someone in but why switch an apple for an apple? I'm sure moves will happen, they always do, but I hope this year moves made make sense.

I brought it up earlier and I am not targeting you. What is meant by "you need someone with experience." Does it have more to do with only having 30 cards and you can't possibly trade everyone? Spits needed a "veteran" presence a guy with experience last year with Allen. Late in the year he was undisciplined and got suspended a couple times and the team still finished 8th in the conference.

This isn't a discussion whether a team needs experience. I just think it's easy to throw out that term. It's more about getting guys with experience that can really make a difference and help the team.

Boka's production declined even with getting more ice time. Does anyone believe Letowski actually knows how to utilize him best?

Purboo was fine but I would be disappointed if Purboo was kept around with a team that isn't trying to win a championship this year and would move a more talented player like Frasca.

We went through this earlier this past year with Morgan. Whether he asked for a trade it doesn't matter. Letowski wasn't able to utilize him properly and get the right fit, that goes on Rychel as well. I would have preferred if they just took the keys away from Rychel. If Rychel is phased out is he going to throw away assets to try and make the team real good for one last kick at the can? Will ownership watch him very carefully? If that's the case they just should have ripped the band-aid off.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

I agree no sideways moves. If they are looking at bringing in warm body OAs keep who we have. No point spending more assets for a slightly better OA who will still play fourth line/third pairing minutes. It would be a waste of assets but at the same time Rychel or whoever may be in that role will be looking to stockpile assets and get the kids to take over.

In terms of leadership I don’t see Boka and Purboo as leaders. This was their team last year along with Playfair, and by all accounts (rumours and speculation mostly) the room was a bit of a mess so I could see all three being moved at some point this offseason/season.

Who eventually moves will ultimately be determined by who reports and what happens in a couple of weeks at the import draft.

Very well thought out post.
** wishing and hopin’...wouldn’t it be great I’f a couple of D-MEN (U.S. Flyers) decided to come to the Spits. It would make life much easier for WR or his replacement...

Trying to think of what the roster could be on opening night with all the rumours and speculation and while most won’t agree this is what I could see it being, not necessarily what I am hoping for.

Cuylle (02) – Foudy (02) – Afanasyev (01)
Douglas (00) – Angle (00) – Import (02)
D’Amico (01) – Johnston (03) – McDonald (02)
Zito (03) – Playfair (00) – Purboo (99/OA)
Garagan (99/OA)

Staios (01) – Corcoran (00)
Henault (01) – Ladd (01)
Robinson (02) – Import (02)
Stevenson (99/OA) – Jodoin (03)

Incze (99/OA)
Medina (02)

Obviously with four OAs you likely see Stevenson and Garagan swapped in and out until November and this also would mean Piiroinen not returning/being dealt. I can’t see Medina coming in if he thought he would be looking at two years as the backup. Split time with Incze this season and this allows Windsor to take an import up front and on the back end. Personally would like to see Stevenson, Garagan and Incze moved but if they feel they need OAs those three fill roles witho0ut blocking icetime for the younger kids. Purboo would be moved before November since he would have the most value of the OAs remaining.

Based on speculation that leaves Boka (99/OA) and Frasca (01) to be moved in the offseason. While I have no issue with Boka being moved would rather have Frasca here and Playfair moved instead. Of course all rumour and speculation at this point so who knows what will eventually happen.

Who else shows up to main camp and is willing to sign?

Speculation last season were players like the following would all be pushing for spots/potentially willing to report.

F Austin Brimmer (01), F Christian Stevens (02), F Tanner Kelly (02), F Cade Lemmer (02), F Johnny Ulicny (02)
D Dominick Fensore (01), D Spencer Evans (02), D Owen Shier (02)
G Daniel Botelho (02)

All seems to have gone quiet on the prospects front. I know a lot of that surrounds Legend not posting anymore but I’m sure (hopeful) someone else would have some tidbits concerning some of these players. This doesn’t even include the real flyers for the most part that the Spits have drafted over the last couple of years.

My point is though that a couple of these players showing up would make the OAs and some of the 2000 born players even more expendable.

Reactions: OHL4Life

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Speculation last season were players like the following would all be pushing for spots/potentially willing to report.

F Austin Brimmer (01), F Christian Stevens (02), F Tanner Kelly (02), F Cade Lemmer (02), F Johnny Ulicny (02)
D Dominick Fensore (01), D Spencer Evans (02), D Owen Shier (02)
G Daniel Botelho (02)

All seems to have gone quiet on the prospects front. I know a lot of that surrounds Legend not posting anymore but I’m sure (hopeful) someone else would have some tidbits concerning some of these players. This doesn’t even include the real flyers for the most part that the Spits have drafted over the last couple of years.

My point is though that a couple of these players showing up would make the OAs and some of the 2000 born players even more expendable.

i dont really know if any of those guys would be anything other then more will sirman types, probably could play but would be moved out when it was time to win. if one of the 03s show up and show something id rather invest in them. the americans could probably come in and play well, but when was the last time we spend the money or was able to sign a us player? was it boka? and that was right after the draft, not a year later.

depending on the coach i actually think that this team could take a step, but there are significant questions with player usage, goaltending and guys like staios and henault stepping up. personally id keep corcoran, but much like boka he needs to be use effectively, not run into the ground, kid hasnt had a chance to thrive based on how much the play him.

piroinen/medina
staios/corcoran
import/ladd
robinson/henault
jodin

cuylle/fouty/afan
douglas/angle/purboo
d'amico/playfair/mcdonald
zito/johnston/?
?

you can always find good players after training camp to fill depth roles from other teams, get one or two of them on the cheep to fill out the roster

the bad thing is there doesnt really seem to be much depth in the prospet pool, no room for error with guys like johnston/zito, no room for error on the import pick.

Reactions: member 71782
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad