Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Was it the uproar that caused the deal to collapse? And if so should we as fans, the paying customers trust those people who made the decision and were willing to sell a community entity, to an unsuitable buyer? (I fully understand it's a business but sports teams do have unique civic standings with in their communities)

I think it's a two-sided beast; yes, you have to wonder why they'd sell to someone (money aside) who didn't have best interests at heart. It makes you wonder what they saw and that's a question to ask them. On the other side, the fact that they listened to the fans does give them some credit because they were able to recognize "this isn't good." Imagine if they sold - they'd never hear the end of it. While some would argue that they shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place, I'm giving props for recognizing a bad situation once it's in front of them.

Again, I know people want change and playoffs, but this was going to the extreme and I really do think this is the best for all involved. Maybe I'm wrong. From the fans I've talked to, though, people are happier with the way it is.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I think it's a two-sided beast; yes, you have to wonder why they'd sell to someone (money aside) who didn't have best interests at heart. It makes you wonder what they saw and that's a question to ask them. On the other side, the fact that they listened to the fans does give them some credit because they were able to recognize "this isn't good." Imagine if they sold - they'd never hear the end of it. While some would argue that they shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place, I'm giving props for recognizing a bad situation once it's in front of them.

Again, I know people want change and playoffs, but this was going to the extreme and I really do think this is the best for all involved. Maybe I'm wrong. From the fans I've talked to, though, people are happier with the way it is.

We fundamentally have a disagreement that the wishes of the fans played any role at all in the current management's decision.

One or a combination of three things happened.

a) the league wasn't going to approve it to avoid public embarrassment. But they'd have so legal loophole to clean up the optics.

b) In the circles the current ownership are surrounded by they looked bad doing this to a community entity as I posted about earlier. So they wanted to save their own reputations locally.

c) the financial agreements weren't met for whatever reason.

People are happy because hopefully after this embarrassment, quality ownership will be sought out & not just the first one with the biggest check to write.

The lack of success on the ice is the result of ownerships practices & commitment. Not the other way around. At least how I view things.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not stating that the fans were the only reason, and I believe I've said in the past that they were a part of several reasons (my memory is foggy but I recall something about that). The entire situation is a fuster but I'd still rather have the current situation over the dentist. At least now they can sell to someone who's a hockey name and who knows what they're doing. If this was a Riolo/Rychel 2.0, I'd be fine with that (selling to local hockey people).

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If we took a blender and put into it everything everyone has posted here we would come out pretty close to what happened.

My take - public pressure was a factor, Potential new owner missed some key dates, Potential owner could not stay off of social media, League wanted no part of a possible wild card owner, Current owners not happy with the press and exposure, players and parents were getting itchy feet, coaching staff were getting nervous and started to shop around, present GM has been forced into a "lame duck" scenario. Stayed tuned folks it is only going to get better for us keyboard jockeys.:popcorn:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You're going to have to show me where I spoke for everyone. The part you bolded were quick note points, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly, not every single Spitfires' fan is happy, nor is every single player. That's nearly impossible to achieve.

in saying what you said in the bold...

Cypher - players more at ease, draft not as questionable, fans appreciate stability.

that this is the result.

there no actual evidence that this is the case, outside of your personal opinion. your projecting your personal opinion on majority of the fan base and you have no idea what they feel. you can assume/guess, but theirs no actual way to know. just sampling the comments on here, this is far from the case.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
in saying what you said in the bold...

Cypher - players more at ease, draft not as questionable, fans appreciate stability.

that this is the result.

there no actual evidence that this is the case, outside of your personal opinion. your projecting your personal opinion on majority of the fan base and you have no idea what they feel. you can assume/guess, but theirs no actual way to know. just sampling the comments on here, this is far from the case.

I don't understand what the "draft not as questionable" really means? They did draft the soon to be owner's son that can't be refuted.

I think the tough part is if you're a prospect is Rychel really capable of selling the kid on Windsor? His future is murky at best. I doubt Cypher Systems is capable of selling prospects playing in Windsor at least very highly touted ones. Maybe Egor wants to come but that's quite possibly a 1 off situation for him. Parents of prospective players will probably have some interesting conversations with Windsor moving forward.

Reactions: Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

...and sampling from everywhere I've read besides here, it is the case, but...

We'll just disagree, no sweat.

I don't understand what the "draft not as questionable" really means? They did draft the soon to be owner's son that can't be refuted.

Johnston is willing to talk now that the situation has been stabilized.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just to go slightly off the horse...

OHLInsiders posted on Twitter that Cypher now owns 80, Boughner 20, and Rychel zero. I suppose this means WR can be fired if needed; that accountability people were looking for.

Also posted that Frasca's brother could be signed by Barrie and that the Colts and Spitfires were talking. Would it be for pick(s) or a player?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
...and sampling from everywhere I've read besides here, it is the case, but...

We'll just disagree, no sweat.

if thats the case, im confused by this answer.

You're going to have to show me where I spoke for everyone.

on one hand your suggesting that your not trying to talk for the fan base, but on another you saying 'this is what the fans like'.

as a side note, there are 3/4k fans at a spitfire game and conservatively another 4 or 5k not there, perhaps upwards of 10k in total, theres no possible way of knowing enough about the fan base to suggest that one side of the coin is more desireable then another, no one can truly know. we can know what we think, and what our immediate circle thinks, but thats less then 1/2 percent of the entire fan base, so :huh:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
From the fans I've talked to, though, people are happier with the way it is.

They are happier probably because they didn't like the idea of Parekh and fans can be resistant to change. Fans here were happy with Letowski going into the year. Some of that has dissipated but now people think because the same crew is back there's stability. Rychel hasn't exactly been strong for the past 7-8 years and fans still hold onto the glory days and want him to stay. Why do you think that is? Probably because fans are most familiar with him and since 06 don't know anyone else who could be GM. Change is healthy but right now by the looks of it Cypher is going to make money conscious decisions in order not having to pay people not to coach or GM the team. At some point though when you haven't gotten a ROI with people at certain positions they become a sunk cost.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Again... it's the fans I've talked to and at no point have I stated I've talked to every single one of them. There are numerous ones that like the current situation and are relieved that there's no sale. You can take that as you wish. Honestly, this entire thing is giving me a headache. We need something new to complain about :laugh:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Again... it's the fans I've talked to and at no point have I stated I've talked to every single one of them. There are numerous ones that like the current situation and are relieved that there's no sale. You can take that as you wish. Honestly, this entire thing is giving me a headache. We need something new to complain about :laugh:

im not complaining, im trying to understand the vide variance between the two quotes you presented, you didnt really touch on it, but ces la vie.

if you dont like headaches, then dont present something as if your argument its a solution that every fan wants, itll save yourself from some headaches.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
lol mmmmhhhmmmm...

Anyway.....

Frasca to Barrie rumour, as I mentioned above. Thoughts?

so youll troll but then complain about the complaining? your attempting to instigate or get the last word, either is silly. again, if you dont like headaches, dont say things that are inconsistent two posts apart

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
so youll troll but then complain about the complaining? your attempting to instigate or get the last word, either is silly. again, if you dont like headaches, dont say things that are inconsistent two posts apart

Haha that wasn't trolling; I can do MUCH better than that ;)

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
What do you think the return would be for Boka? I want him in a Petes jersey.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I could see a 5th with conditionals added on. For instance - if he reaches 30 points, it drops to a 4th. If he wins Best Shotblocker again, it's a 3rd. That kind of thing, though, you might even drop each of those a round (6th to a 5th to a 4th). He's produced back-to-back 30-point seasons but the key is not relying on him to do the bulk of the work. Ideally, he's a top nine forward who does well when he's a support guy and playing the 200-foot game.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
IMHO Firstly it depends on Boka. He gets to choose. Secondly if the Spits want to trade him do they get more now or at the deadline. If they try to trade him now they would ask for a late 2nd or 2 3rds.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I could see a 5th with conditionals added on. For instance - if he reaches 30 points, it drops to a 4th. If he wins Best Shotblocker again, it's a 3rd. That kind of thing, though, you might even drop each of those a round (6th to a 5th to a 4th). He's produced back-to-back 30-point seasons but the key is not relying on him to do the bulk of the work. Ideally, he's a top nine forward who does well when he's a support guy and playing the 200-foot game.
Boka for a 5th rd pick? I'm glad your not the GM. A 2nd for sure or maybe a a 3rd and a 4th. Dentist's son was a 5th round pick, I think Boka is better than him!!!

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

No way is he a top 9 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad