Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Looks as if some of the OHL teams were able to find a way to agree on deals today. The Spitfires obviously have bigger fish to fry...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Over the last week and a bit, we've had two major players sign on the dotted line. If we don't see Boka for a couple of picks this week, I'm not going to be too concerned.

(having said that, watch it happen...)

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Congrats to Angle for being picked, and Staios for the invite. Morgan not a surprise to get an invite. He will be a better prospect than anything the Spits offered this draft. Pretty sure Starikov will get an invite somewhere based on size and skating alone. Still perplexed why those 2 couldn't get the attention of one blind coach TL. sad sad sad. Bottom line if business and personal agendas are out weighing the production of future NHL prospects, well the CHL and the Spits will be doomed. Maybe allowing CHL players to go to the AHL once drafted or still be NCAA eligible is obviously a factor on young talent choosing which path. We are talking about less than probably 25-30 players picked in the entire CHL that fall in that category, maybe it's time that CHL players are not allowed to sign a NHL contract ruining the NCAA path. it's about getting the majority of players here in the CHL. slowly losing the edge and draw. Like I said earlier this year, I could go see 16 NHL picks on 1 team in Plymouth for $10 ,including 8 1st rounders or pay $18 PLUS to possibly see 1 or 2 NHL later round prospects. Hmmmm. Not even a thought if talent is what you crave.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Over the last week and a bit, we've had two major players sign on the dotted line. If we don't see Boka for a couple of picks this week, I'm not going to be too concerned.

(having said that, watch it happen...)

Low picks.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Like I said earlier this year, I could go see 16 NHL picks on 1 team in Plymouth for $10 ,including 8 1st rounders or pay $18 PLUS to possibly see 1 or 2 NHL later round prospects. Hmmmm. Not even a thought if talent is what you crave.

Add in gas money, border tolls, and time spent driving and it's more money to go to Plymouth.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spitfire Moves...
Anybody care to prognosticate?
We know the Spitfires will pick #14 in the Import draft on Thursday but where did that player play last year?
My guess ...USHL
We are hoping to see a player or 2 signed this week. My guess..Lemmer
We are expecting a trade this week. My guess...no trade
We are expecting a change in management this week. My guess..2 moves

member 71782

Spitfire Moves...
We know the Spitfires will pick #14 in the Import draft on Thursday but where did that player play last year?
My guess ...USHL

Spitfire Moves...
My guess ...USHL

Martin Lang, played in Kamloops. What happens with Windsor this year is anyone's guess. Last year Piiroinen came out of left field and with having needs up and down the roster who knows what happens. My only hope at this time is it is someone who shows up this year, is capable of playing and is an 02 who will be here for at least two years instead of going home after Xmas or after the season.

Spitfire Moves...

Not betting on any signings before training camp at this point. Given up on getting my hopes up that this organization is prepared to do what is needed to fully compete. Too many issues the last couple of seasons and with so many prospects from prior drafts not showing up at development camp, at least high end ones not betting on many meaningful signings at this point. Time for the organization to step up and prove they are are interested in more then simply looking to do just enough to raise the value for a sale and actually start raising the value for the fans.

Spitfire Moves...

Agree, no trades. As I already said, expecting to see things done on the cheap with little to no investment that requires financial commitments beyond what they have. There will be just enough put into this team to fill the roster every night. What we saw after the post deadline injuries I would expect to continue this season. Ice a young, somewhat competitive roster that requires little to no extra financial investment. Hope they prove me wrong but at this point? Don't see it happening.

Spitfire Moves...

While there may be management changes coming, hard to tell at this point I doubt we see anything until after July 1st. The quiet dog days of the OHL where no one is around and not many are paying attention. Quietly do some shuffling around in management then anyone not paying attention will find out once they start back up in August and have an announcement or two to make.

While I'm glad the sale did not go through due to the way things appeared to be going with the parties involved I have lost pretty much all confidence in the current group until they have proven otherwise. They were right about having to make things right with the fans after the spring debacle but so far they haven't done anything to show they will actually follow through. A couple of signing that weren't big shockers doesn't move the needle. Potential/suspected changes in the GM role appear to be more budget moves instead of moves to actually improve things and hanging on to a coaching staff that much of the fanbase is beyond frustrated with... don't see anything that shows the current group under the new structure intends to do anything in the interest of the fans.

I've reached the point of prove it or move on.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spitfire Moves...
My guess ...USHL

Should be 1 change in management this week im thinking.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Not betting on any signings before training camp at this point. Given up on getting my hopes up that this organization is prepared to do what is needed to fully compete. Too many issues the last couple of seasons and with so many prospects from prior drafts not showing up at development camp, at least high end ones not betting on many meaningful signings at this point. Time for the organization to step up and prove they are are interested in more then simply looking to do just enough to raise the value for a sale and actually start raising the value for the fans.

Agree, no trades. As I already said, expecting to see things done on the cheap with little to no investment that requires financial commitments beyond what they have. There will be just enough put into this team to fill the roster every night. What we saw after the post deadline injuries I would expect to continue this season. Ice a young, somewhat competitive roster that requires little to no extra financial investment. Hope they prove me wrong but at this point? Don't see it happening.

While there may be management changes coming, hard to tell at this point I doubt we see anything until after July 1st. The quiet dog days of the OHL where no one is around and not many are paying attention. Quietly do some shuffling around in management then anyone not paying attention will find out once they start back up in August and have an announcement or two to make.

While I'm glad the sale did not go through due to the way things appeared to be going with the parties involved I have lost pretty much all confidence in the current group until they have proven otherwise. They were right about having to make things right with the fans after the spring debacle but so far they haven't done anything to show they will actually follow through. A couple of signing that weren't big shockers doesn't move the needle. Potential/suspected changes in the GM role appear to be more budget moves instead of moves to actually improve things and hanging on to a coaching staff that much of the fanbase is beyond frustrated with... don't see anything that shows the current group under the new structure intends to do anything in the interest of the fans.

I've reached the point of prove it or move on.

I have my doubts on signings as well. Especially since there hasn't been any announcements or deals on possible OAs. This is the time when you usually see OAs possibly announce playing CIS/USports etc.. As of now nothing has been said about Garagan/Stevenson/Incze. If the organization was all in on Piroinen and Medina I would have thought something would be done with Incze at this point.

People that sign would have to see a sign at the inn, right now other than selecting an import it's pretty much "no vacancies."

Agreed completely on the last paragraph. I get how people can be enthusiastic about Egor or the 1st round pick as opposed to the other outcome. At this point though based on the people currently employed with the organization it's blind faith to believe anything to the contrary about this ship being steered straight. Yes people can be optimistic but based upon the negativity of the coaching staff and the staff returning intact it's a long leap to think things are real good.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Imagine if the Spitfires didn't do ANYTHING to this point? No Johnston. No Afanasyev. No confirmation of ownership in either direction. What would our honest reactions be then? I know we want to go "yeah, but...", however...

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I’m still hearing there’s a chance to see 1-2 of our US born picks show up. Still hearing there’s some trade talk going on. The GM movement is hinging on if WR gets an offer to go to the show. Great news Zito is signed, I like his style of play!! I’m sure the goalies will all show up unless Incze desides he’s done with ohl hockey or gets moved. They are trying to cover all bases in case Medina pulls another no show.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Another signing; can't be disappointed with what has happened over the last 10ish days. Now let's see if they can swing a deal or two, or get a couple of US-borns to show up. The kids seem excited to play here so that's all we can ask at this point.

Reactions: punch1943

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I’m still hearing there’s a chance to see 1-2 of our US born picks show up. Still hearing there’s some trade talk going on. The GM movement is hinging on if WR gets an offer to go to the show. Great news Zito is signed, I like his style of play!! I’m sure the goalies will all show up unless Incze desides he’s done with ohl hockey or gets moved. They are trying to cover all bases in case Medina pulls another no show.

So Medina signs and will pull a no show???? :huh::huh::huh:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Good for spits to sign zito.
Maybe now the young kids can play more n push out the bad vets they have n give the small crowd some excitement this year.
Bad habits r not needed again to show up like previous years.
One can hope

Reactions: Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They've added three forwards who replace Campbell, Garagan, and, at worst, fill the last slot. I'd imagine a couple of the veterans are gone beyond last seasons OAs.

member 71782

Signing Zito is a good thing. Outside of the timing, he seemed genuinely excited after the draft but when he wasn't signed right after the orientation camp or when Jodoin was signed I figured it would simply happen at training camp.

Good on them to keep news flowing. Not unexpected except for the timing.

Maybe more happens in the next couple of days but still not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Signing Zito is a good thing. Outside of the timing, he seemed genuinely excited after the draft but when he wasn't signed right after the orientation camp or when Jodoin was signed I figured it would simply happen at training camp.

Good on them to keep news flowing. Not unexpected except for the timing.

Maybe more happens in the next couple of days but still not getting my hopes up.

I would agree. Zito most likely is a draft and stash guy for this upcoming year and that's fine. Hope he has a good development year somewhere and see if he can crack the 20-21 lineup.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Medina is an unknown. Will he report for sure? Is he ready and is the team willing to go with a 2nd year and a rookie?? Gotta cover your bases here. I believe Zito makes this team.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad