Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The draft reinforces my take on the CHL. It has become to much business not enough player development!! Without a huge tune up the league is losing its stature. Maybe Branch and company will take notice. Affys drop also indicates he’s likely to be here for 2 years.

it’s just a down year from an ohl standpoint. everyone’s 01s underperformed except for a handful. that said they may have 10/12 1st round guys next year and no one says a thing.

your right about affy, odds would be a 2 year guy unless he totally explodes offensively.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
15 picks gone, U.S. development team 7, OHL 0, QMHL 0. Said it before we are no longer a development league. Pretty sad. Where has it gone south? More so why?
I have several thoughts on your post.

1. I don't see this as a CHL problem as much as I see it as a Canada problem. If you use this draft as a guideline, Canada is not producing the top level talent like they used to. Canada seems to have been passed by the US, Finland and Sweden Even some of the picks in the first 3 rounds that will be credited to the CHL are actually imports.

2. The US has most of their best players playing together in Plymouth (USNDT). If you take away players from this team, the USHL and HS are far less represented than the CHL. I still maintain that the CHL is much better than the USHL (not including USNDT).

3. Some of the players on the USNDT may be overrated. If you put all of the best players on one team and add in top notch coaching, Most players will step up their game. It is much easier to score when you usually receive perfect passes, etc. The truth will be told when these players step up from this All-Star team to an ordinary team at the next level. The best players will still stand out, but some players will then begin to look very ordinary. Further proof of this is the back-to-back Mem Cup Spitfires. Most of those players were either drafted or signed a Pro deal as an FA. However, Hall, Ellis, Henrique, Kassian, Watson and Grubauer are the only ones to have achieved a substantial NHL career. One could argue that Nemisz and Wellwood (project him to make it as a coach) would have joined them if it had not been for injuries.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Per John Shannon on twitter....Hearing the Maple Leafs are looking at Chicago Wolves coach Rocky Thompson to join Babcock’s staff. Thompson is under contract with Vegas as AHL coach. Will be interesting if Vegas will release him from contract.

Reactions: hullsy47

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Per John Shannon on twitter....Hearing the Maple Leafs are looking at Chicago Wolves coach Rocky Thompson to join Babcock’s staff. Thompson is under contract with Vegas as AHL coach. Will be interesting if Vegas will release him from contract.
This board didn't like him as the Spits coach.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If Angle can stay healthy all season, there's no reason he can't reach 30 goals. Kid has all the tools and was finally coming into his own in the second half. Needs a bit of work on his foot speed but I like his game.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If they can convince Lemmer and/or Webber to show up, that's a huge bonus. I don't expect it, though.

Looking at strictly forwards for the Import draft...

Henri Nikkanen - Finland - rated 3rd round or later - 6'2 185 - 2001
Patrick Puistola - Finland - rated late 1st round into 2nd - 6' 174 - 2001
Vasili Podkolzin - Russia - rated early to mid 1st round - 6'1 196 - 2001
Leevi Aaltonen - Finland - rated third round or beyond - 5'9 168 - 2001 (kind of looks like a Palmu clone)
Tim Stutzle - German - top prospect 2020 - 5'11 165 - pure offence
Kasper Simontaival - Finland - 2020 - 5'9 179
Vasili Ponomaryov - Russia - 2020 - 6' 176

Some players chosenin the draft:

20. Ville Heinola D
35. Antti Tuomisto D
73. Patrick Puistola F
83. Anttoni Honka D
84. Mikko Kokkonen D
98. Matias Maccelli F
42. Vlad Firstov R
38. Artemi Kniazov D
79. Pavel Dorofeyev F
88. Ilya Nikolaev F
70. Daniil Misyal D
11. Soderstrom D
22. Bjornfot D
23. Holmstrom F
40. Hoglander F
51. Lundmark D

That's if we're strictly going 2001.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If Angle can stay healthy all season, there's no reason he can't reach 30 goals. Kid has all the tools and was finally coming into his own in the second half. Needs a bit of work on his foot speed but I like his game.

Work to do for sure.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I have several thoughts on your post.

1. I don't see this as a CHL problem as much as I see it as a Canada problem. If you use this draft as a guideline, Canada is not producing the top level talent like they used to. Canada seems to have been passed by the US, Finland and Sweden Even some of the picks in the first 3 rounds that will be credited to the CHL are actually imports.

2. The US has most of their best players playing together in Plymouth (USNDT). If you take away players from this team, the USHL and HS are far less represented than the CHL. I still maintain that the CHL is much better than the USHL (not including USNDT).

3. Some of the players on the USNDT may be overrated. If you put all of the best players on one team and add in top notch coaching, Most players will step up their game. It is much easier to score when you usually receive perfect passes, etc. The truth will be told when these players step up from this All-Star team to an ordinary team at the next level. The best players will still stand out, but some players will then begin to look very ordinary. Further proof of this is the back-to-back Mem Cup Spitfires. Most of those players were either drafted or signed a Pro deal as an FA. However, Hall, Ellis, Henrique, Kassian, Watson and Grubauer are the only ones to have achieved a substantial NHL career. One could argue that Nemisz and Wellwood (project him to make it as a coach) would have joined them if it had not been for injuries.
Only 71 of 217 picks came from the entire CHL. That includes imports and Americans playing in the CHL. I rest my case on the fact that the CHL is no longer the main supply of prospects anymore. Sad but true. We need to get back to grass root hockey in this country. I love the CHL and want it to somehow return to it's former glory of the premier developement league for the NHL.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Tyler Angle who was picked in yesterday's draft was one of the oldest players picked. His birthday being in the fall of 2000.
You can bet it will be a very busy summer for him as he works harder than ever for next fall.
This coming week will be a very busy week in Spitty land. Thursdays Import draft finds the Spits picking 14th in the 1st round
and passing on their 2nd pick as all indications point to Piiroinen returning next year.
The Spits still need to get Zito's name on the dotted line, perhaps announce a deal & a signing as well.
Better to go out with a bang than a whimper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad