Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Agree with most here - 1 or 2 D that can step right in. Take some pressure off of Corcoran. He can play less minutes and I think he will excel if he is not ask to play 30 minutes a game. Ladd is the 1 D that I'm hoping will take a leap this year, tools are there just needs to play with more confidence. I think up front we should have 2 strong lines. Maybe not Memorial Cup strong but very competitive. Euro draft next week will hopefully land a player that can step right in and contribute right away. Don't think Bowler/Warren are done yet.

OA's - IMHO I see Purboo as the player that will stay as an OA. Kid has a knack around the net and would help on the PP and PK. Not sure on his leadership but maybe he is the guy the youngins will turn to. I also believe he is on track to be the all time " games played" as a Spit so maybe he gets to finish that out?
Boka is the best in the league at his role but what he brings is not what the Spits need right now - I'm hoping he moves on, more for him than the Spits. His last year to shine so get him to a team where he can do that.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agree with most here - 1 or 2 D that can step right in. Take some pressure off of Corcoran. He can play less minutes and I think he will excel if he is not ask to play 30 minutes a game. Ladd is the 1 D that I'm hoping will take a leap this year, tools are there just needs to play with more confidence. I think up front we should have 2 strong lines. Maybe not Memorial Cup strong but very competitive. Euro draft next week will hopefully land a player that can step right in and contribute right away. Don't think Bowler/Warren are done yet.

OA's - IMHO I see Purboo as the player that will stay as an OA. Kid has a knack around the net and would help on the PP and PK. Not sure on his leadership but maybe he is the guy the youngins will turn to. I also believe he is on track to be the all time " games played" as a Spit so maybe he gets to finish that out?
Boka is the best in the league at his role but what he brings is not what the Spits need right now - I'm hoping he moves on, more for him than the Spits. His last year to shine so get him to a team where he can do that.

Agreed.
Trading boka would do both Windsor and boka wonders.
He has had his time. Needs to move on.
The sooner the better for Windsor.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Question that was brought up on Twitter tonight that is very legit - does Afanasyev get drafted as a Spitfire or "from the USHL" and how would that affect his AHL-eligiblity? My guess was Windsor but, having not played for the Spitfires, I don't know if that's possible.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Question that was brought up on Twitter tonight that is very legit - does Afanasyev get drafted as a Spitfire or "from the USHL" and how would that affect his AHL-eligiblity? My guess was Windsor but, having not played for the Spitfires, I don't know if that's possible.

If drafted he is AHL eligible. ( this year and next)
Just my understanding. Please correct if wrong.

Wasn't this already discussed recently OHLTG?

member 71782

His contract with Windsor takes effect in September so he is still considered a Muskegon player for the draft.

He will be AHL eligible.

Brought up 5 or 6 pages ago.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't remember when it was brought up or what the answer was. The question came up on Twitter (not my question) so I thought I'd throw it out here for discussion. If it's a "duh, here's the answer, now move on" thing, so be it.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Is anyone else bothered that The Spits do not have a potential NHL first round pick(minus trade), or anyone invited to the Under 18 camp?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Is anyone else bothered that The Spits do not have a potential NHL first round pick(minus trade), or anyone invited to the Under 18 camp?

Bothered?? Sure probably a bit. Surprised?? Not at all. Last year there was the talk of 7 guys being eligible for the NHL draft and it being a big year for the franchise. Going into the draft you may see a couple guys get drafted. Probably one of the biggest reasons I am skeptical of this group making a big step forward. To have success you need NHL draft picks on your team producing.

Reactions: punch1943 and ohl17

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Bothered?? Sure probably a bit. Surprised?? Not at all. Last year there was the talk of 7 guys being eligible for the NHL draft and it being a big year for the franchise. Going into the draft you may see a couple guys get drafted. Probably one of the biggest reasons I am skeptical of this group making a big step forward. To have success you need NHL draft picks on your team producing.

Having 7 eligible NHL draft picks, that will probably not be selected, is an indicator of improvement.
Players going on negative streaks, looking tired and possibly out of shape, will not attract NHL interest.
Having will power, and desire to improve is a major factor in development, and coaching has to be able to direct players (as Berube demonstrated) .
Since the owners are going to stick with this coaching staff, hopefully they have a completely different approach. Leadership was missing last season, especially obvious in the second half of the season.

Reactions: windsor7

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If drafted he is AHL eligible. ( this year and next)
Just my understanding. Please correct if wrong.

Wasn't this already discussed recently OHLTG?

His contract with Windsor takes effect in September so he is still considered a Muskegon player for the draft.

He will be AHL eligible.

Brought up 5 or 6 pages ago.

what they said

I don't remember when it was brought up or what the answer was. The question came up on Twitter (not my question) so I thought I'd throw it out here for discussion. If it's a "duh, here's the answer, now move on" thing, so be it.

you were the one that was driving the conversation about it, 2 pages of it lol

Reactions: aresknights

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit

Not uncommon for rebuilding teams, maybe this time next year is a different story.

Reactions: OHLTG

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Oh a couple of ex spits will be drafted, notably Starikov and Morgan. We get talent, coaching drives them away. The Avalanche had an article speaking that Starikov is a late round gem and that he was stagnated in Windsor. Welcome to our world.

Reactions: Sec108

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Oh a couple of ex spits will be drafted, notably Starikov and Morgan. We get talent, coaching drives them away. The Avalanche had an article speaking that Starikov is a late round gem and that he was stagnated in Windsor. Welcome to our world.

starikov won’t be drafted, he was over hyped by hl11. 7 pts in 25 ushl games isn’t draft worthy. morgan, we dropped the ball on and will be a good jr player, could be drafted, but id be surprised. Morgan kinda got screwed over if what I hear is correct. I’m happy for the kid that he’s doing so well

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
starikov won’t be drafted, he was over hyped by hl11. 7 pts in 25 ushl games isn’t draft worthy. morgan, we dropped the ball on and will be a good jr player, could be drafted, but id be surprised. Morgan kinda got screwed over if what I hear is correct. I’m happy for the kid that he’s doing so well

U r correct about Morgan . Shame.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

It's unfortunate that Morgan didn't work out, showed out with Flint after the trade. Surprising from the perspective that he did it so quick based upon lack of ice time in Windsor just to turn it up. The issue is that Windsor should be the type of team trying to find a Morgan. Flint got him for pennies on the dollar.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
First Day of Summer....NHL Draft begins...
So if what I'm told by the little boidy's is true WR will be at the draft this weekend. The burning question of the day is ...
A) will he be looking for an NHL job (Sharks perhaps)
B) will he touching bases with agents in hope of landing that elusive Import RD the Spits so desperately need.
One can only hope its both of the above.....
....Excuse moi...I forgot the 3rd option..will he be contacting Harkie for the name of the team(s) where the Smiles R Us kids will play next year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I suspect every OHL GM is there. Please don't draft the elusive Import RD the Greyhounds so desperately need.

Izzy88

Dec 4, 2018
First Day of Summer....NHL Draft begins...
So if what I'm told by the little boidy's is true WR will be at the draft this weekend. The burning question of the day is ...
A) will he be looking for an NHL job (Sharks perhaps)
B) will he touching bases with agents in hope of landing that elusive Import RD the Spits so desperately need.
One can only hope its both of the above.....
....Excuse moi...I forgot the 3rd option..will he be contacting Harkie for the name of the team(s) where the Smiles R Us kids will play next year.

I can confirm that WR has an interview with 3 NHL clubs as a scout / front office

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I can confirm that WR has an interview with 3 NHL clubs as a scout / front office

you predicted incze was coming before anyone else and before it was public, you seem to have a good feel for things, so credit where its due.

i dont believe this should be that big of a surprise. ive mentioned that ive heard that rychel wanted out and as soon as his shares were sold he was finding a place to go.

teflon has said hes heard that rychel was being pushed out.

it doesnt really matter whose side is right, end of the day i think the writing is on the wall that rychel isnt coming back and that bowers is now in control. ohl insiders has even mentioned this before as well. this is the new reality. you can argue what you want about warren's resume in the last few years, but id trust him way more then bowlers, who really only has the job because of his connection to both the franchise and the new owners. i cant for a second think that he is 'the best person' available.

if this does end up being true, itll be interesting to see the fall out both on and off ice. i cant see many guys wanting out or asking for trades, but the off ice staff may.

Reactions: Teflon

Izzy88

Dec 4, 2018
you predicted incze was coming before anyone else and before it was public, you seem to have a good feel for things, so credit where its due.

i dont believe this should be that big of a surprise. ive mentioned that ive heard that rychel wanted out and as soon as his shares were sold he was finding a place to go.

teflon has said hes heard that rychel was being pushed out.

it doesnt really matter whose side is right, end of the day i think the writing is on the wall that rychel isnt coming back and that bowers is now in control. ohl insiders has even mentioned this before as well. this is the new reality. you can argue what you want about warren's resume in the last few years, but id trust him way more then bowlers, who really only has the job because of his connection to both the franchise and the new owners. i cant for a second think that he is 'the best person' available.

if this does end up being true, itll be interesting to see the fall out both on and off ice. i cant see many guys wanting out or asking for trades, but the off ice staff may.

I only post when I can say with 100 percent truth I know..
I can also say that one of the teams is a Canadian team wanting him as a head scout , cant say much more right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad