Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Will Cuylle was quoted in the Windsor Star as saying Windsor was his first choice. I'd say that's an elite that wanted to come here. Same with Jean-Luc Foudy, and now Medina this season. Tanner Kelly also showed up to camp but they didn't get a deal done.:dunno:

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
From and Outsider looking in:

I know this isn’t the entire reason the Spits are in a “tough spot” currently BUT you are only 2 years removed from hosting the Memorial Cup. A case could be made that going into that season you may have had the worst roster of any host team in recent memory? The damage that had to be inflicted to create a Championship Roster will hurt for several more seasons, BUT they did win!

Then comes this incredibly stupid ownership fiasco. I mean if you could lay out ahead of time all of the “Things not to do” when selling a sports team this group was 10 for 10 on the numbskull meter.

WR really has been a very successful GM over the total length of his career. But he should have moved on and they should have brought in fresh faces to try and put Humpty back up on the wall. That needs done NOW in my opinion, even though I really like WR and his achievements. Coaching needs to be reviewed by the new GM at that time.

Good Luck and I do mean it, I would like to see the Spits & Knights contend every year and have some great series. This year was somewhat of a “hollow” victory as Windsor didn’t belong in the playoffs quite frankly.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't believe Windsor is in a good position to currently draft american players. This is the issue though Saginaw has exploited a competitive advantage based upon geography and even just a little bit of recent success.

Windsor won the Memorial Cup in 2017 and what has followed isn't elite level players jumping aboard.

This has nothing with being anti-ohltg because if that was the case you could characterize the majority here of being that way and that isn't certainly some type of agenda they have.

I mean nobody is talking about whether or not Windsor is going to sign Kelly/Fensore/Evans etc.. Selecting them isn't bad on the surface but if you aren't building up the pool, struggling as a team and don't have players ready to step in. What value did they get out of selecting those players?

youre making my point for me, you cant say 'its a shame windsor cant sign any american players, we suck' while also saying 'windsor shouldnt draft any american players'. cant have it both ways, unless you just want to complain, then have at it.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
you realize your arguing over 2-7ths and an 8th round pick? these draft slots don't typical translate into huge returns for any team. If these players are drafted into the NHL and want to accelerate their careers through the OHL, like Wilde is doing, Windsor owns their rights and can sign or deal the player. Either way with a late pick like this the team is playing the long game.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
you realize your arguing over 2-7ths and an 8th round pick? these draft slots don't typical translate into huge returns for any team. If these players are drafted into the NHL and want to accelerate their careers through the OHL, like Wilde is doing, Windsor owns their rights and can sign or deal the player. Either way with a late pick like this the team is playing the long game.

trust me im aware and all in on the gamble picks, its a select amont of fans that react the same way regardless of the odds the pick ends up in the league. anything after a 5th is generally hard to predict, take a kid who has top skill but fell cause he may go to school. if he doesnt come, what are you loosing?

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
trust me im aware and all in on the gamble picks, its a select amont of fans that react the same way regardless of the odds the pick ends up in the league. anything after a 5th is generally hard to predict, take a kid who has top skill but fell cause he may go to school. if he doesnt come, what are you loosing?
They don't lose anything by doing this, these players can prove to be game changers in post draft years. Speaking of that, see on the Ottawa board that there are reports that Afanasyev is considering signing in Windsor, that would add some size, scoring and credibility back to the abilities of the Spitfires GM. May be exactly what is needed to break things back open for them.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
They don't lose anything by doing this, these players can prove to be game changers in post draft years. Speaking of that, see on the Ottawa board that there are reports that Afanasyev is considering signing in Windsor, that would add some size, scoring and credibility back to the abilities of the Spitfires GM. May be exactly what is needed to break things back open for them.

i think at this point its more of a surprise if he doesnt sign

Reactions: Teflon

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
the kid has put up some decent numbers in the USHL and the style of his game fits well with the 01/02's the Spits already have. Surprise or not, its a player that by all accounts wouldn't sign in Ottawa and is seriously considering Windsor; if it is a done deal as soon as his name is called in the NHL draft this is good for both Windsor and Ottawa.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits get big Russian signed.
Acquired by Windsor in the Mikey DiPietro deal with Ottawa, by my understanding the 67's now keep the conditional picks that were included in the trade. 2nd round pick in 20201, and 3rd round picks in 2021 and 2022.
Egor Afanasyev has committed to the Windsor #Spitfires of the #OHL He was acquired in the DiPietro deal with Ottawa. The 6’4, 210 pound winger from Russia is a projected first round pick in the 2019 #NHLDraft @AM800News @CTVWindsor
Notice both Bowler and WR are shown in the picture with Egor...

Last edited:
Reactions: ohloutsider

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
D9CFxv6XYAI4P5i

Former Vipers head coach and GM Bill Bowler (left) happy to welcome potential 2019 first-round NHL draft pick Yegor Afanasyev to
@SpitsHockey

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits get big Russian signed.
Acquired by Windsor in the Mikey DiPietro deal with Ottawa, by my understanding the 67's now keep the conditional picks that were included in the trade. 2nd round pick in 20201, and 3rd round picks in 2021 and 2022.
Egor Afanasyev has committed to the Windsor #Spitfires of the #OHL He was acquired in the DiPietro deal with Ottawa. The 6’4, 210 pound winger from Russia is a projected first round pick in the 2019 #NHLDraft @AM800News @CTVWindsor
Notice both Bowler and WR are shown in the picture with Egor...

Big question is he going to be here 1 or 2 years. If only 1 year, was it worth it???

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
now he just cant make the ahl this year, which probably doesnt happen. a 2nd and 2 3rds for a player who should be a top 6 player for one/two years is pretty good value.

interesting that bowler is in the photo op, that goes with ohlinsiders statement that he is overseeing rychel now.

forward depth is interesting now, probably can move one of purboo/boka and not need to bring in a 99 to replace him (which is good). if you can use the assets you get for boka to get a decent 99 d, thats even better.

Last edited:

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Great get if he’s here for 2. If it’s only 1.... Def interesting to see both in the pic. It’s telling. If cuylie and foudy progress as expected there could be some real firepower up front. Now I say the D is a definite must!!! My euro pick would be a D man and I’d beat the US draftees to get at least 1 to come.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
now he just cant make the ahl this year, which probably doesnt happen. a 2nd and 2 3rds for a player who should be a top 6 player for one/two years is pretty good value.

interesting that bowler is in the photo op, that goes with ohlinsiders statement that he is overseeing rychel now.

forward depth is interesting now, probably can move one of purboo/boka and not need to bring in a 99 to replace him (which is good). if you can use the assets you get for boka to get a decent 99 d, thats even better.

Boka should be gone hopefully before September would be nice. Windsor needs to change their style of play. It hasnt worked. Look at the results.
Boka only plays 1 style.
He has had his time. Time to go!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Great get if he’s here for 2. If it’s only 1.... Def interesting to see both in the pic. It’s telling. If cuylie and foudy progress as expected there could be some real firepower up front. Now I say the D is a definite must!!! My euro pick would be a D man and I’d beat the US draftees to get at least 1 to come.

Leave the usa flyers alone.
They need players now.
Lets not wish upon a star.
If only 1 year. That not good at all.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Leave the usa flyers alone.
They need players now.
Lets not wish upon a star.
If only 1 year. That not good at all.
I meant the ones we already drafted....u think I’m talking next year already lmao????

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I guess we can attract the elite afterall.

Big, big get, regardless of how long he's here. My hope now is that TL allows these guys some freedom to get creative offensively. The "stick to D and figure out the O later" stuff doesn't fly.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I guess we can attract the elite afterall.

Big, big get, regardless of how long he's here. My hope now is that TL allows these guys some freedom to get creative offensively. The "stick to D and figure out the O later" stuff doesn't fly.

it was a done deal before the ownership mess, probably best to examine the newer pics/guys vs deals that were done before, but to each their own

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
He wasn't signed until today, though. I had heard rumours since early April, but didn't say anything. I'll take it, regardless.

oh ill take it too, dont get me wrong, but lets make sure we are honest about it, he didnt wake up today and say 'i love the spits, i want to play here because how stable everything is', he decided to play in february.

a better indicator for recrutment and 'star' will be both johnston and who ever they take in the import draft.

Reactions: TheGremlin

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I took the "elite" comments to mean since 2017, which is why I included Cuylle, Afan, etc.

Johnston and Import are the next steps. Here's hoping for a prime D; we need it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad