Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Ok...let’s go with assigned,quashed, still the GM a couple weeks ago. Do you think things have changed in the last two weeks? Do you think WR can spend $$$ without asking first? Depends on who you talk to I guess.

Depends what side of the fence you are sitting on.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It doesn't matter if he has five people to answer to and can't spend a dime without permission - he's the GM. That's the question. People on this board were itching for him to have someone to be accountable to. Now he has it. That doesn't make him any less of a GM, though.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It doesn't matter if he has five people to answer to and can't spend a dime without permission - he's the GM. That's the question. People on this board were itching for him to have someone to be accountable to. Now he has it. That doesn't make him any less of a GM, though.

R u sure?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lol was there ever an announcement that WR was fired???? Nope so there’s that answer. As for Saginaw, nice how you worded that Rayzor, is it a rumour, speculation, fact as you know it?????? Thought we covered why nothing is being announced?? Don’t get me wrong I’m still not renewing my ST but I’m still a fan.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Lol was there ever an announcement that WR was fired???? Nope so there’s that answer. As for Saginaw, nice how you worded that Rayzor, is it a rumour, speculation, fact as you know it?????? Thought we covered why nothing is being announced?? Don’t get me wrong I’m still not renewing my ST but I’m still a fan.

Sure.
Haha

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I wasn’t a big fan of Insiders just for the fact he had to make points of how right he was about the things he got right. Like we saw your tweets no need to go out and pat yourself on the back all the time.

As for more weekend games it probably means a couple more games i will miss now. Not a big fan of more weekend games

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
There is no way of knowing unless you are present to what is going on right now. With 18 eligible returning players this upcoming season, to me that is a huge plus. I am not currently happy with Lewtowski......but who's to say he cannot make some adjustments to his systems. Bottom line is so many people are assuming way too much, and it all seems to be negative, hell it might turn out that way....but one thing that is certain is that not one person knows what this upcoming season will bring. I like going to the games, I will always cheer the Spits.

That's fine. All we can really go by is what Letowski has done to date in his coaching career. Yes having eligible players return is a plus if there wasn't talk of the team being fractured and factions. Nobody may know for certain what may happen but..... if you look at the big picture we can see possible outcomes. Nobody believes this team has championship qualities their OA's and 19 year olds are far too weak to lead a championship push. Like I said earlier we can only go by what we have seen to date. Letowski is very resistant to change as we have seen through 2 years.

I realize this post was about by you but like ownership said they have to do a lot of mending fences... . It has to start at some point.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Uhhhh that player actually signed with Saginaw. Saying that it's an arms race isn't a rumor or speculation. You're not renewing?? I know of 6 others that told me on the weekend they dropped the rope as well. This is nothing new. It doesn't have to do with announcements it has to do more about perception. We are 2 weeks since the press conference and we have crickets. That doesn't mean people aren't working hard. It means more that they have more work to do. Adjusting ownership structure is fine after what has happened before that's putting lipstick in a pig. Fans are at the show me stage. In other words mid November the team isn't good it will be curtains for this ownership group/Letowski and everybody involved. They won't buy the rhetoric.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Here's something I don't think we've considered - is the group we have now talented enough but the systems aren't getting the best out of them?

If you've got a team that includes a 6'9 250lb Dallas prospect, one of the best shot blockers in the league, three guys that were darn near 30-goals (and another that could have hit 25 save for a really ugly streak at the end), plus a hungry young D, and two young goaltenders that are eager to prove what they can do... that SHOULD be enough to get into the second round. The talent level is there. What's missing is the compete. That inability to start the game off properly. How many games did they play catch-up, especially over the last 10 or so?

Change the systems and the approach and you'll be just fine. I don't think this is a players issue as much as it's systems/coaching.

Reactions: Sec108 and Teflon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The concern I have with the "why haven't they done anything???" approach to this is that - at what point do we sit back and let stuff happen?

A month ago, we were freaking out because of a potential ownership change. Everything was on hold. Everything. Now, that's settled and, two weeks later, people are itching for news. Would it have been nice if stuff was done the next day? Certainly. Is that always realistic? No. The Import Draft is coming up in a couple of weeks and there's little doubt that WR is working his tail off to get people signed/dealt.

It's a long offseason... maybe a little patience is in order.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I wasn’t a big fan of Insiders just for the fact he had to make points of how right he was about the things he got right. Like we saw your tweets no need to go out and pat yourself on the back all the time.

As for more weekend games it probably means a couple more games i will miss now. Not a big fan of more weekend games

I was ambivalent towards Insiders. He hit on some things, wanted to throw shade at others. A broken clock is right twice a day. If you're interested on hitting on things go bet on sports you hit on 54% and you're rolling deep. He hits on 60% what does he get out of it??? Some people will pat him on the back.

More weekend games would be great after college football field. More selection of Friday games from Oct to late Nov. More Sat night games from Jan-Mar.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The concern I have with the "why haven't they done anything???" approach to this is that - at what point do we sit back and let stuff happen?

A month ago, we were freaking out because of a potential ownership change. Everything was on hold. Everything. Now, that's settled and, two weeks later, people are itching for news. Would it have been nice if stuff was done the next day? Certainly. Is that always realistic? No. The Import Draft is coming up in a couple of weeks and there's little doubt that WR is working his tail off to get people signed/dealt.

It's a long offseason... maybe a little patience is in order.

I don't think anybody is freaking out. Nobody is itching for news. Do you believe everything is business as usual after the past 2 months when Rychel tries to recruit a player? A player, his family and his advisor would certainly have questions lined up eg. if the player is 16 years old

Eg.
1. Who will be the coach I'm playing for down the line, make that owner or GM?? Because these questions would be better answered by ownership. Rychel is only an employee of the Savage brothers. His future isn't exactly entrenched.

2. Smart parents/advisors would like to know why they should come to play for Letowski. He doesn't have a track record of success or coaching guys to a higher level.

The damage has already been done to the fan base. Fans aren't rushing to the ticket office to lay down $600 because of some prospect signing. The seeds have already been planted from April until 13 days ago. Tough to repair a relationship when you don't have a deep system of players, or top prospects willing to bite. That's not including a draft pick cupboard that isn't deep at the moment.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think anybody is freaking out.

When the ownership change rumours came out, it wasn't exactly cool, calm, and collected. It's okay to say people were freaking out (not just here, either).

Do you believe everything is business as usual after the past 2 months when Rychel tries to recruit a player? A player, his family and his advisor would certainly have questions lined up eg. if the player is 16 years old

Vastly more than it was a couple of weeks ago, yes.

Tough to repair a relationship when you don't have a deep system of players, or top prospects willing to bite. That's not including a draft pick cupboard that isn't deep at the moment.

That's 100% opinion, though.

BTW, in the next four drafts - 6 2nds, 5 3rds, 5 4ths, 2 5ths ... I'd say that's not bad at all.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
When the ownership change rumours came out, it wasn't exactly cool, calm, and collected. It's okay to say people were freaking out (not just here, either).

BTW, in the next four drafts - 6 2nds, 5 3rds, 5 4ths, 2 5ths ... I'd say that's not bad at all.

And with those picks can they select the right players to advance this team??
Guess will c.
Cant punt or give picks away like they r going out of style anymore.
This team suffered enough. And so has the fans.

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
Insiders, I know you pop in hear and watch. Is this a self appointed induced end to your ohl coverage or have you been “encouraged” to stop covering stuff?? Really is to bad I liked what u were doing!

We'll just say the threats against me have picked up. And not the typical 'I know who you are and am gunna come egg your house' threats.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
We'll just say the threats against me have picked up. And not the typical 'I know who you are and am gunna come egg your house' threats.
I take your not willing to involve police?? It’s frankly unreal how far some folks are willing to push. Don’t blame you tho. I almost can’t stand the simple stupidity I see hear daily. Add in threats and I see where your at. If people would play by the rules and be honest there would be no need!!! Good luck!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

It's not opinion to say they don't have a deep system. The signs were there this winter when they refused to sign players. Either because of pinching pennies or because certain players weren't good enough. Whatever the reason it's not really acceptable because it's a disservice to the players as well as the fans.

Like I said they don't have a really full cupboard and you say it's not bad at all. We are pushing semantics now. You do realize some of those picks disappear if they get Egor???

Reactions: punch1943

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Saginaw is about to announce the signing of Mitchell Smith. Committed to Michigan but will be going to Saginaw, had a great season with Oakland Junior Grizzlies. Would have been a higher pick in 2018 if not for his commitment.

This is the issue Windsor will have now. They will have difficulty going into the houses of these prospects and selling them on Windsor. It's really become an arms race and Windsor is falling further behind.

to be fair, you really cant have it both ways. a few years ago you mentioned that the spits needed to draw a line in the sand and stop drafting flyer picks, it wasnt worth it. you dont hit on them enough. thats a fair take. you were not the only one.

now saginaw has invested deeply in the us market and has hit on a few (missed on many), you cant track back and re-write the narrative. you either invest in the american market by drafting kids or you dont.

you didnt want them to draft them, so you cant be upset that they dont recruit them. cant have it both ways.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's not opinion to say they don't have a deep system. The signs were there this winter when they refused to sign players. Either because of pinching pennies or because certain players weren't good enough. Whatever the reason it's not really acceptable because it's a disservice to the players as well as the fans.

That's opinion, though. We don't know the exact reason they weren't called up. If it was finances, it had nothing to do with the system being shallow. I could have named a few guys who were call-up worthy, but, for some reason,t hey didn't show up.

How is having 6 2nds, 5 3rds, 5 4ths, 2 5ths in the next four drafts (even without Afanasyev) "semantics" compared to a lesser draft cupboard. I'd imagine most teams would like to have this many early picks.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
to be fair, you really cant have it both ways. a few years ago you mentioned that the spits needed to draw a line in the sand and stop drafting flyer picks, it wasnt worth it. you dont hit on them enough. thats a fair take. you were not the only one.

now saginaw has invested deeply in the us market and has hit on a few (missed on many), you cant track back and re-write the narrative. you either invest in the american market by drafting kids or you dont.

you didnt want them to draft them, so you cant be upset that they dont recruit them. cant have it both ways.

Taking Clayton Keller in round 2 is a little different than taking Mitchell Smith in round 5 when you already have signed Perfetti/Lennox/Cardwell. It also isn't rewriting the narrative. Are you either depending on USA flyer picks or are you just trying to supplement them into your organization as a way to improve your talent base. Eg.. Spits take Evans/Kelly in round 7 of 2018 that's much more acceptable than a pick like Keller when that 2014 draft was really poor.

Drinkill is in his 4th year and has gotten Goldowski/Jenkins/Perfetti/Wilde/Smith. Yes they have missed on many but during those 4 years he clearly hasn't strictly relied on those guys because he hit on guys like Porco/Giroux/Gilmour etc..

When you're a team located in the USA you should probably develop a pipeline and get a lot of american kids to play for your franchise. When you're Windsor and you had great players like Hall/Ellis/Henrique/Cundari/Wellwood it made sense to supplement them with some good US players eg. Ryan/Yogan. Watson was a 2nd round pick and had a cooked deal and they were so talented they could take a chance on Fowler. What we have now is a team that clearly doesn't draft well enough to select US players high because they need to hit on so many picks just to be an average team.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Taking Clayton Keller in round 2 is a little different than taking Mitchell Smith in round 5 when you already have signed Perfetti/Lennox/Cardwell. It also isn't rewriting the narrative. Are you either depending on USA flyer picks or are you just trying to supplement them into your organization as a way to improve your talent base. Eg.. Spits take Evans/Kelly in round 7 of 2018 that's much more acceptable than a pick like Keller when that 2014 draft was really poor.

Drinkill is in his 4th year and has gotten Goldowski/Jenkins/Perfetti/Wilde/Smith. Yes they have missed on many but during those 4 years he clearly hasn't strictly relied on those guys because he hit on guys like Porco/Giroux/Gilmour etc..

When you're a team located in the USA you should probably develop a pipeline and get a lot of american kids to play for your franchise. When you're Windsor and you had great players like Hall/Ellis/Henrique/Cundari/Wellwood it made sense to supplement them with some good US players eg. Ryan/Yogan. Watson was a 2nd round pick and had a cooked deal and they were so talented they could take a chance on Fowler. What we have now is a team that clearly doesn't draft well enough to select US players high because they need to hit on so many picks just to be an average team.

i believe at the time you painted the narrative that any us player that isnt showing up right away is bad. there were 5th round picks like brandon warren you were criticizing because they were leaving better players on the board who would play. you can now say that its part of a smart wider strategy, but you never used those words at the time.

it is re-writing a narrative, you said 'enough with the us flyers', now your saying 'us flyers are good in the right spot'. its two different sides and your tying to get both, criticize not signing a us flyer while also criticizing taking a us flyer. you cant sign american players without taking flyer picks, so its one or the other? i get that you just want to be the anti-ohltg, but at least be consistent.

if your now changing and suggesting that taking us players is a smart strategy, great, but this is the first time you have done that and doing so when its convenient to take a shot at the team speaks to motivation.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
i believe at the time you painted the narrative that any us player that isnt showing up right away is bad. there were 5th round picks like brandon warren you were criticizing because they were leaving better players on the board who would play. you can now say that its part of a smart wider strategy, but you never used those words at the time.

it is re-writing a narrative, you said 'enough with the us flyers', now your saying 'us flyers are good in the right spot'. its two different sides and your tying to get both, criticize not signing a us flyer while also criticizing taking a us flyer. you cant sign american players without taking flyer picks, so its one or the other? i get that you just want to be the anti-ohltg, but at least be consistent.

if your now changing and suggesting that taking us players is a smart strategy, great, but this is the first time you have done that and doing so when its convenient to take a shot at the team speaks to motivation.

I don't believe Windsor is in a good position to currently draft american players. This is the issue though Saginaw has exploited a competitive advantage based upon geography and even just a little bit of recent success.

Windsor won the Memorial Cup in 2017 and what has followed isn't elite level players jumping aboard.

This has nothing with being anti-ohltg because if that was the case you could characterize the majority here of being that way and that isn't certainly some type of agenda they have.

I mean nobody is talking about whether or not Windsor is going to sign Kelly/Fensore/Evans etc.. Selecting them isn't bad on the surface but if you aren't building up the pool, struggling as a team and don't have players ready to step in. What value did they get out of selecting those players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad