Speculation: Will Oilers afford Puljujärvi?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They’ll have to pay him, and they will. It just means they won’t improve that roster much.

No idea how they pooched this cap this bad.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Have you checked and compared Hymans and Puljujärvis usage, ice-time and statistics?

Hyman ice-time 492min TOI 68,4min PP 379CF 355CA 51,6CF% 1,9CF% rel

GPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%
2021-20222611819-5163512107215.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Puljujärvi 480min TOI 53,5min PP 484CF 346CA 58,3CF% 11,6CF% rel

GPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%
2021-2022281013237103500107513.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Then go check Fenwick etc. and come tell me Hyman is the better player. Puljujärvi has a much better impact on-ice even looking at advanced stats.
I find it preetty odd that an Oiler fan actually think Hyman is the far better player and Puljujärvi should be the lesser option to use when he is producing better and actually bumps McDrai more than Hyman? You like playing worse?
This is a perfect example of why advanced stats are flawed when it comes to isolating individual contribution. Puljujarvi has been stapled to Connor McDavid since day one. He scores a lot of his goals in the slot from feeds by our elites and he's still rounding out the rest of his game.

Hyman, on the otherhand, has rotated between lines 1 and 2 because Tippett likes to load up the top line on occasion. He's also the team's most effective puck retriever and he contributes to all situations of play.

Shot and goal metrics measure the team's results when the player is on the ice. They don't even necessarily have to make a play to benefit from the on-ice result.

Puljujarvi just doesn't make that impact on his own yet. If you put him on his own line, the results aren't there. If you watched the games, you'd see that.

Last edited:

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They’ll pay assets to rid of other bad contracts before moving a top 6 player. They don’t want that risk of an offer sheet.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Moving Barrie and sending any 1 million player to the minors should cover his new contract so yes they can afford him. They will make it work no matter what it takes. He is too good and the fans LOVE him

Reactions: snipes

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Moving Barrie and sending any 1 million player to the minors should cover his new contract so yes they can afford him. They will make it work no matter what it takes. He is too good and the fans LOVE him
Honest question, what team do you think would take on Barrie at his cap hit?

Also, if you get rid of Barrie and send another 1M player to the minors you still have to replace those 2 players with at least league min salaries.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Also, if you get rid of Barrie and send another 1M player to the minors you still have to replace those 2 players with at least league min salaries.
Tons of teams would take Barrie. Right shot D who puts up numbers is easy to move at 4.5 mil.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

They could call up one of their young guys to take Barrie's spot.

Samorukov plays right side. Lagesson/Berglund/Nemelainen. Wouldn't be overly concerned about their #6 spot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There are lots of teams hurting for offence from the blue line and Barrie's contract is fairly reasonable (only 2 year term at 4.5 mill with zero trade protection).

He's one year removed from leading the league in points for a D and on pace for another 50 point range season.

I think Seattle will have interest. Giordano I doubt will resign there (takes a cheap deal with the Leafs is my guess) and they will need offence off the back end (they need offence everywhere frankly). Guys like Larsson and Oleksiak don't exactly provide a ton of offence and can't run a PP.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I think you guys are overestimating the demand for Barrie. I highly doubt that he would be putting up big numbers in Seattle and Francis has mentioned valuing cap space several times.

They could call up one of their young guys to take Barrie's spot.

Samorukov plays right side. Lagesson/Berglund/Nemelainen. Wouldn't be overly concerned about their #6 spot.
My point was that the other guy was saying you can just ship out 2 players to create cap space but you have to replace those players. If you send a 1M player to the minors and replace him with a league min player or ELC you are only gaining maximum 0.25M in space and potentially making your team worse. If you can manage to trade Barrie with no cap coming back that would make a real difference but it's not always easy to do that.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Klefbom will be LTIR as well, so we have the money for up to 7 million, after that we are poopooed.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Klefbom will be LTIR as well, so we have the money for up to 7 million, after that we are poopooed.
It's a lot worse than that.
Create an Armchair-GM Team - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
If you activate Smith and sign Puljujarvi at 7M that leaves $4,381,538 to sign 5 forwards and 1 defenceman.
That includes Klefbom on LTIR and doesn't include any other RFA's like Yamamoto. Bringing in ELC players will be needed but keep in mind they make more than league minimum.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Teams almost always find a way to keep impactful young players. There's always a rebuilding team out there willing to take on a contract for a first or second round pick.

Oilers may need to part with some futures to find the cap, but I would be shocked if Pooly wasn't back in Edmonton next season.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
They’ll have to pay him, and they will. It just means they won’t improve that roster much.

They are far from the only team that f***ed up their cap, that's for sure.

Reactions: TFHockey

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So, he will be an RFA next summer. Paid 1,175M this season. He has 10g + 13a 23p in 28gp with pretty good underlying numbers. His Corsi+Fenwick are really solid. He also has only 5ppp.

Oilers will have theese contracts for 2022-2023

McD 12,5M NMC
Drai 8,5M NMC
Hyman 5,5M NMC
RNH 5,125M NMC
Kassian 3.2M
Foegele 2,75M
Derek 1,75M
Shore .85M

Nurse 9,25M NMC
Keith 5,3M NMC
Barrie 4,5M
Klefbom 4,167M M-NTC
Ceci 3,25M
Koekkoek ,925M
Bouchard ,85M

Smith 2,2M
Skinner ,85M

Thats 71,67M in 17 contracts with Puljujärvi, Yamamoto, McLeod as RFA:s. Oilers need 6 players signed, including a goalie for roughly 10M. With Puljujärvis play his long-term contract should be above Hyman/RNH.
Any chance Keith retires? He'll be 39 and is only going to make 1.5 next season in salary.

The recapture would crush Chicago, but if my understanding of how recapture works is correct, Edmonton would clear his Salary and get a 3+million cap credit.

That would solve most of their problems.

I am just posting off of memory, so if I am wrong, someone please feel free to correct me (mouser? ;)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

The name is Duncan Keith.

It's just a 1 yr hiccup for Edmonton.
Should have 15M cap space the following yr depending upon what Pulju/Yama get

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
It's a lot worse than that.
Create an Armchair-GM Team - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
If you activate Smith and sign Puljujarvi at 7M that leaves $4,381,538 to sign 5 forwards and 1 defenceman.
That includes Klefbom on LTIR and doesn't include any other RFA's like Yamamoto. Bringing in ELC players will be needed but keep in mind they make more than league minimum.

I am willing to bet one or two of Kassian and Barrie are gone before this happens.

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
Any chance Keith retires? He'll be 39 and is only going to make 1.5 next season in salary.

The recapture would crush Chicago, but if my understanding of how recapture works is correct, Edmonton would clear his Salary and get a 3+million cap credit.

I am just posting off of memory, so if I am wrong, someone please feel free to correct me (mouser? ;)
you are right according to puckpedia Duncan Keith Potential Recapture | Puckpedia

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

That is how I read it as well. I put out a thread when it happened calling Holland a Genius if true, because everyone wanted to lynch him over the deal right away. Man did I get lambasted, so I am hoping it turns out to be true for one hell of a good thread bump. I think most oiler fans have been burned so badly over false hopes they dismiss the possibility of an Oiler GM actually doing some cap management. I hope as well, but I am not optimistic.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That is how I read it as well. I put out a thread when it happened calling Holland a Genius if true, because everyone wanted to lynch him over the deal right away. Man did I get lambasted, so I am hoping it turns out to be true for one hell of a good thread bump. I think most oiler fans have been burned so badly over false hopes they dismiss the possibility of an Oiler GM actually doing some cap management. I hope as well, but I am not optimistic.
Unless Holland knew Keith would retire, then I am not sure we can call the move brilliant even if he does decide to hang them up and the oilers get the cap boost.

At best it was a risky gamble, so I don't know how much we should be praising him. And should Keith hang on to milk every last dollar out of the contract, then the move could possibly turn out even worse than everyone feared.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
This is a perfect example of why advanced stats are flawed when it comes to isolating individual contribution. Puljujarvi has been stapled to Connor McDavid since day one. He scores a lot of his goals in the slot from feeds by our elites and he's still rounding out the rest of his game.

Hyman, on the otherhand, has rotated between lines 1 and 2 because Tippett likes to load up the top line in occasion. He's also the team's most effective puck retriever and he contributes to all situations of play.

Shot and goal metrics measure the team's results when the player is in the ice. They don't even necessarily have to make a play to benefit from the on-ice result.

Puljujarvi just doesn't make that impact on his own yet. If you put him on his own line, the results aren't there. If you watched the games, you'd see that.

Oh look someone who watches hockey games. Nailed it

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Did I.see pulju has 44 career nhl goals now? That's not 6 million.

That's Bridge deal not long term cuz away from mcd does he do anything?.

Ppl comparing him to constant 30 goal scorer Eberle lol

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Real question is if that money could be spent better in their lineup.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
you forgot the only important stat their is .. cups

also ive never said a bad word about gibson even though he is on the ducks *puke emoji ... you sir need to stop looking for arguments in life haha

Gibson:
0 cups
0 Vezinas
0 Vezina runner-ups

Rask:
Stanley Cup
Vezina trophy
Jennings trophy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad