Speculation: Will Oilers afford Puljujärvi?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Did I.see pulju has 44 career nhl goals now? That's not 6 million.

That's Bridge deal not long term cuz away from mcd does he do anything?.

Ppl comparing him to constant 30 goal scorer Eberle lol

What? "Constant 30g Eberle" has reach 30 once in his career! ONCE. Last 4 seasons he hasnt even reached 20. The knowledge of some posters here is absolutely golden.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Its tough. If the window is these next 2 years. Perhaps he signs a bridge deal like 2 years 4 million.

If looking at long term and cap hits. Maybe a 6 million over 7 or 8 years gets it done.

Young players are getting paid now because productive years are earlier. He also has that power forward vibe that increases his value.

If he continues to produce and produces at a 50 point place with not a lot of power player time it's going to be hard to keep his number low.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well. Nurse, McDavid,Draisaitl = no depth cuz can't afford it.

That's not where we get screwed. That's really not that different than someone like Tampa paying Kucherov+Stamkos+Hedman or Toronto paying Matthews+Marner+Rielly. Even the Devils are paying Hughes+Hischier+Hamilton nearly 25 million next year.

The difference is Toronto or Tampa don't have Kassian+Keith+Barrie+Koskinen+buyouts/retention costing them 21.8 million. Fully a quarter of our capspace is essentially being flushed down the nearest toilet.

Jun 15, 2007
I would trade him. Not worth the contract his production will demand.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
It's a lot worse than that.
Create an Armchair-GM Team - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
If you activate Smith and sign Puljujarvi at 7M that leaves $4,381,538 to sign 5 forwards and 1 defenceman.
That includes Klefbom on LTIR and doesn't include any other RFA's like Yamamoto. Bringing in ELC players will be needed but keep in mind they make more than league minimum.
No chance JP gets 7 million. Even if he does, based on your numbers we could fit everyone in if Yamamoto signs another cheap 1 year deal or we find takers for Kassian and/or Barrie.

Foegele - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Holloway (0.925) - Mcleod (1.25 mil) - X
Sceviour (1 mil) - Ryan - Kassian

Anything in brackets is new money on the books, which would be approximately $3.175 as shown above.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Barrie to a team like MTL makes sense in the offseason. I would be down for something like:

Barrie for Savard (50% retention) and a mid round pick. Oilers get a bottom pairing RD and save almost 3 mill in cap space. Go into next year with:

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Broberg-Savard

If the rumours of Klef coming back are true, you bump Keith to the third pairing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Barrie to a team like MTL makes sense in the offseason. I would be down for something like:

Barrie for Savard (50% retention) and a mid round pick. Oilers get a bottom pairing RD and save almost 3 mill in cap space. Go into next year with:

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Broberg-Savard

If the rumours of Klef coming back are true, you bump Keith to the third pairing.

What rumours are those? ALl I have heard is that he's probably done.

Reactions: Homesick

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Broberg-Savard

I would consider that, but would worry about Savard regressing further in Edmonton. That's a concern I have with any depth player trade to Edmonton as it seems that is the most common result, ha ha. I do think it helps both teams. The Oilers could still stand to upgrade on that 3LD (or 2LD and play Keith with Savard on the 3rd pair).

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I would consider that, but would worry about Savard regressing further in Edmonton. That's a concern I have with any depth player trade to Edmonton as it seems that is the most common result, ha ha. I do think it helps both teams. The Oilers could still stand to upgrade on that 3LD (or 2LD and play Keith with Savard on the 3rd pair).

Hopefully Broberg or Samurai can make the jump to be a regular next year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would trade him. Not worth the contract his production will demand.
Oilers would be stupid to trade him. Does so many things right on the forecheck and on the defensive side of the puck, and can actually provide offence in the top 6. They've needed players like this for a long time, and now they have 2 in Puljujarvi and Hyman.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers would be stupid to trade him. Does so many things right on the forecheck and on the defensive side of the puck, and can actually provide offence in the top 6. They've needed players like this for a long time, and now they have 2 in Puljujarvi and Hyman.
I don't expect the Oilers to trade him unless they were to get a ridiculous offer. He's a good player but not a guy you build around, so if he thinks he is a key guy and should get $7M like some posters think, he won't find himself in the NHL for much longer. I don't think he's going down that road though. I think he likes playing with McDavid and Drai. He knows he won't find a better centre to play with elsewhere. He'll likely get a 2 or 3 year deal and if he continues to grow, then he can look at a bigger deal after.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
No chance JP gets 7 million. Even if he does, based on your numbers we could fit everyone in if Yamamoto signs another cheap 1 year deal or we find takers for Kassian and/or Barrie.

Foegele - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Holloway (0.925) - Mcleod (1.25 mil) - X
Sceviour (1 mil) - Ryan - Kassian

Anything in brackets is new money on the books, which would be approximately $3.175 as shown above.
I was quoting an Oilers fan who said they can fit in up to 7M.
Keep in mind you need to fit in a 23 man roster, not just 12 forwards.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I was quoting an Oilers fan who said they can fit in up to 7M.
Keep in mind you need to fit in a 23 man roster, not just 12 forwards.
You actually don’t NEED 23 guys. IIRC Toronto only had 21 on their opening roster recently.

regardless there’s ways to move money around and Pulju is absolutely top priority to re-sign.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
What? "Constant 30g Eberle" has reach 30 once in his career! ONCE. Last 4 seasons he hasnt even reached 20. The knowledge of some posters here is absolutely golden.
It's a stretch, but he averages 27G/82GP over his career. Considering that the last 2 seasons were shortened, they really shouldn't be used as a knock against anyone for failing to meet the expectations of a full season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed. What would Puljujarvi be doing on another team and not playing with McDavid? What would he make as a pending UFA this summer? I think $4M - $5M is his range depending on term.

If he hits 60 points with his size, skating, reach combo with added potential to grow he’d get easily far more than 4 on the market.

He’s a workhorse on McDavids line and gives freedom to McDavid to do his thing.
It’s not just Pulju who benefits

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he hits 60 points with his size, skating, reach combo with added potential to grow he’d get easily far more than 4 on the market.

He’s a workhorse on McDavids line and gives freedom to McDavid to do his thing.
It’s not just Pulju who benefits

I'm not quite convinced everyone sees him as a 60 pts guy without McDavid. He's had a good rebound yes but I'm just not sure what contract he gets. I would say he is a middle 6F on most teams. That's why I'm thinking $4M is a good number. Maybe he pushes for $5M.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not quite convinced everyone sees him as a 60 pts guy without McDavid. He's had a good rebound yes but I'm just not sure what contract he gets. I would say he is a middle 6F on most teams. That's why I'm thinking $4M is a good number. Maybe he pushes for $5M.

I said if he hits 60 points this year and put him on the market he’s not a 4M guy.

He’s essily top6 winger with or without McDavid. His game isn’t just based on scoring points.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I said if he hits 60 points this year and put him on the market he’s not a 4M guy.

He’s essily top6 winger with or without McDavid. His game isn’t just based on scoring points.

I know what you said. I just am not sure he is getting that contract you think he is getting... even if he puts up 60 pts.

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
If Brady Tkachuk gets 8,3 million and Jesse can't make 7, I would sack the agent. Give Jesse offer sheet similar to Kotkaniemi and start there.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Brady Tkachuk gets 8,3 million and Jesse can't make 7, I would sack the agent. Give Jesse offer sheet similar to Kotkaniemi and start there.
Brady is a driver. Pulujarvi is good but so far has been a complimentary player, albeit a very good one. Tkachuk isn't a good comparable at all.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Agreed. What would Puljujarvi be doing on another team and not playing with McDavid? What would he make as a pending UFA this summer? I think $4M - $5M is his range depending on term.

He would be a REGULAR on the first pp for sure! Hyman is a great player but good luck ry moving the Bison king!

Jesse is a rare talent, who apart from Wilson, Anderson, Tuch and Greenway can move like him combined with that size?

Apart from maybe Wilson, Jesse is better at forchecking and forcing turnovers then any of the above.

Brady Ketchup is a better fighter/pest but can he move like Pulju not even close!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad