Speculation: Will Oilers afford Puljujärvi?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He would be a REGULAR on the first pp for sure! Hyman is a great player but good luck ry moving the Bison king!

Jesse is a rare talent, who apart from Wilson, Anderson, Tuch and Greenway can move like him combined with that size?

Apart from maybe Wilson, Jesse is better at forchecking and forcing turnovers then any of the above.

Brady Ketchup is a better fighter/pest but can he move like Pulju not even close!

Personally, I think the deal after his next one is where he cashes in. He's going to make it difficult for the Oilers to get him on a long term friendly AAV though. I agree with that. But if he was a pending UFA, I am not sure he has as much leverage as some believe.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
He would be a REGULAR on the first pp for sure! Hyman is a great player but good luck ry moving the Bison king!

Jesse is a rare talent, who apart from Wilson, Anderson, Tuch and Greenway can move like him combined with that size?

Apart from maybe Wilson, Jesse is better at forchecking and forcing turnovers then any of the above.

Brady Ketchup is a better fighter/pest but can he move like Pulju not even close!

Nice to see you've moved on from Laine fandom after your takes didn't come to fruition and have chose a different Fin.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Stop troling and start watching Columbus games! Patty back to over a point per game player before injury and Pomo's gone after nr 55 been running the show for too long in Winnipeg.

Everyone here is a fan of various players, but IMHO you still have to watch other teams games and players in order to have an opinion.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I know what you said. I just am not sure he is getting that contract you think he is getting... even if he puts up 60 pts.

What contract do you think I thought?

Just saying Gm’s go crazy on July 1 and a guy like Pulju at his age+ potential to still grow is easy bet for over 4-5M

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree with this and he is also becoming a fan favorite which makes keeping him a must. He will either take a 2 year $5-6m/year deal or sign long term at 7+ per year. These will represent a discount on value for the Oilers IMO. I would love him to sign the RNH deal, but I am not sure he would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easternbull

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I agree with this and he is also becoming a fan favorite which makes keeping him a must. He will either take a 2 year $5-6m/year deal or sign long term at 7+ per year. These will represent a discount on value for the Oilers IMO. I would love him to sign the RNH deal, but I am not sure he would.

I`d say you push it a bit. I`d have him penciled at 4-5M/2yrs or around 6-6,5 longterm. When Drai has 8,5M and Hyman/RNH 5.2-5.5M he wont get over 7.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Teams usually don’t move good players to keep worse ones. They’ll waive Ryan, buy-out Keith or trade someone before just not being able to fit Puljujarvi.. but even then it looks like the numbers might still fit.
While that is the ideal the reality is often there is no market for'the lesser, overpaid players. Teams lose good players every year because of bum contracts.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
The oilers have a unique situation where when negotiating contracts they can genuinely say they have the #1 and #2 centers pivoting. I would be surprised if poolparty’s next contract doesn’t reflect that.

I think Nurse’s massive overpayment was pressure by McDavid to keep him but as far as forwards go we need to keep in mind these people are the top 1% of the 1% playing. McDavid is going to make anyone a star.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
The oilers have a unique situation where when negotiating contracts they can genuinely say they have the #1 and #2 centers pivoting. I would be surprised if poolparty’s next contract doesn’t reflect that.

I think Nurse’s massive overpayment was pressure by McDavid to keep him but as far as forwards go we need to keep in mind these people are the top 1% of the 1% playing. McDavid is going to make anyone a star.
I really hope McDavid has nothing to do with contract negotiations for other players. I think that would be really unfortunate.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Honest question, what team do you think would take on Barrie at his cap hit?

Also, if you get rid of Barrie and send another 1M player to the minors you still have to replace those 2 players with at least league min salaries.

Barrie led the league in scoring for dmen last year. His cap hit is 4.5 which is cheap for a player that good on offense. Is he a shut down guy? No but not every dman has to be. If he was as good at defense as he is at offense he would be a 9 million player. Any team that needs a powerplay quarterback for the point would be thrilled to get him. They may not give up a ton for him but it wont be hard to trade him. Yes so add 2 league minimum players and you already save about 3 million. Turris's 1.6 comes off the end of this year. So does koskinen and his 4.5. The Oilers will have no trouble affording the Bison King.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005

7+ for Jesse? He’d have to improve his play considerably. I d let him walk. I don’t care if he is a fan favourite. He can’t carry the play at all. I believe he still has room to improve but I’d take Hyman everyday over Jesse

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
7+ for Jesse? He’d have to improve his play considerably. I d let him walk. I don’t care if he is a fan favourite. He can’t carry the play at all. I believe he still has room to improve but I’d take Hyman everyday over Jesse

Do you think Hyman can drive a line on his own without Mcdacid/Draisetl or Mathews/Tavares on his side?

Did not look like that to me when he was playing without does studs..

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Do you think Hyman can drive a line on his own without Mcdacid/Draisetl or Mathews/Tavares on his side?

Did not look like that too me when he was playing without does studs..
Maybe I don't know what driving a line means, but everytime I watch him he's either rushing the puck up ice (didn't know he was as fast as he is) or hounding someone in the corner, stealing it and playing keepaway along the boards.

Either way, he's a legit top six player so he's always going to play with really talented players, so I don't understand the argument there.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Barrie led the league in scoring for dmen last year. His cap hit is 4.5 which is cheap for a player that good on offense. Is he a shut down guy? No but not every dman has to be. If he was as good at defense as he is at offense he would be a 9 million player. Any team that needs a powerplay quarterback for the point would be thrilled to get him. They may not give up a ton for him but it wont be hard to trade him. Yes so add 2 league minimum players and you already save about 3 million. Turris's 1.6 comes off the end of this year. So does koskinen and his 4.5. The Oilers will have no trouble affording the Bison King.
Problem is barrie has struggled this season. Even on the PP..

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Did not look like that to me when he was playing without does studs..
I don't think either player can drive a line. I think they are both good players with Hyman being more polished now and Puljujarvi having some upside to be much more than He is now. I would pay the 7.0 if he were locked up for 8 years and love it. The issue with bridging is the piper comes calling in the end and you end up with a $9.25 dollar a year d-man that is worth $8.0m

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
it might make sense to sell high on Puljujarvi

Nope. IMO he is not going to be fully developed until he is about 25 or 26. He is going to be dominant with a capital D when he fully matures his game and his body. Wouldn't even consider trading him now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad