Speculation: Will Oilers afford Puljujärvi?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
ok - redo your numbers with the oilers matching Puljujarvi at 7 x 7.9 and Yamo at 2M

lets see the roster??????????

It's pretty much the same roster, with Barrie dealt for picks and a cheap 3RD in place his place. That's only 3.5 mil more than the current roster. Hardly backbreaking. I know your wet dream is to see the Oilers in a bind but you're going to have to do better.

Reactions: Ragdoll

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
They better lock him up now

What if a team like Arizona comes along and offersheets
7 years x 6.1M?

They could. They have tons of room and need someone under contract next season even if it is just to hit the cap floor.

Still, if the offer is structured to limit the picks offered in return I suspect the Oilers match and find cap savings elsewhere. They might run with the cheapest goalie tandem in the league if that were the case. Not the greatest scenario in my book.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They could. They have tons of room and need someone under contract next season even if it is just to hit the cap floor.

Still, if the offer is structured to limit the picks offered in return I suspect the Oilers match and find cap savings elsewhere. They might run with the cheapest goalie tandem in the league if that were the case. Not the greatest scenario in my book.

Seriously if a 5-23 team wants to offer up an unprotected 1st round pick - or multiple - they are outside their minds, haha.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That is a VERY WEAK ROSTER
also a team can offersheet Puljujarvi 6.1 m x 7 and not have to give up much - OR offersheet 7M x 7 and really screw the oilers
team could do the same with Yamo @ 2 M and not have to give up a SINGLE PICK

and this doesnt fix the problem of ZERO forward depth, Bad Defence and a prehistoric goalie

If that was the offer the Yotes would cough up

2 First Round Picks (all unprotected)
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick

From cap friendly:
  • The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
The question is would they like to or be willing to lose

Puljujarvi and Yamomoto
for a 1st, two seconds, and a 3rd?
with only 2.35M of added space too??????

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
You don't understand how draft pick compensation works.
If that was the offer the Yotes would cough up

2 First Round Picks (all unprotected)
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick

From cap friendly:
  • The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years

I understand perfectly well -

would they be willing to lose those players for 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd?

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Ok then it's settled - Oilers take the unprotected pick

what's the roster then without Puljujarvi and Yamo

with an extra 2.35 to spend,

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I understand perfectly well -

would they be willing to lose those players for 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd?

I mean if all the Yotes offer is $2 Million for Yams over, what? 1 year? 2? 3? Why does he sigh that again? The Oilers match.

Puljujarvi is harder to match but I bet cap casualties would include Barrie, Koskinen and Kassian.

TWO unprotected first round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd.. I bet the Oilers take that and run. Then trade their own 1st for a middle six winger and plug him in on the right side.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
I mean if all the Yotes offer is $2 Million for Yams over, what? 1 year? 2? 3? Why does he sigh that again? The Oilers match.

Puljujarvi is harder to match but I bet cap casualties would include Barrie, Koskinen and Kassian.

TWO unprotected first round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd.. I bet the Oilers take that and run. Then trade their own 1st for a middle six winger and plug him in on the right side.

Arizona, he's american , warmer, more money, he gets destroyed by media here = lots of reasons

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Let's not forget the fact he "publicly" came out and said he did not want to be here before

Who? Puljujarvi? Dude, that is long past and it should be obvious to anyone that he is really enjoying his time here. I mean, he has a legal claim on "Bison King" ffs.

I think you're definitely reaching here and maybe don't like the Oilers. You come off as a guy who really wants to see them screwed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
no im just being real

HE ONLY came back to get a "prove it" or "bet on himself" contract

he and his agent will hold all the cards in the offseason once again

Yeah, no, you're not, haha.

You're clearly not watching the club this season then. Puljujarvi loves it here and has an opportunity to play every night with Connor McDavid and he's said before he doesn't care at all about money. He's not going to jump ship from hockey mad edmonton and McDavid's wing to "almost locked out of their own arena" Arizona to play with Nick Schmaltz as his centre for a couple million extra bucks.

I'd worry less about Edmonton and more about how your Leafs are going to afford Jack Campbell going forward. That dude could sign anywhere he wants for no compensation and huge money this offseason.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
no im just being real

HE ONLY came back to get a "prove it" or "bet on himself" contract

he and his agent will hold all the cards in the offseason once again

Puljujarvi has absolutely loved being an Oiler the past 2 seasons and the feeling is mutual. The Bison King is going nowhere.

Reactions: TFHockey

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
They better lock him up now

What if a team like Arizona comes along and offersheets
7 years x 6.1M?
A team like ARI cant even keep its #1D on a sweet deal. No way they spend 7M on a player like Puljujarvi

If Pulju signs a Kotkaneimi like offersheet Oilers take the picks. He will become a punching bag in Edmonton or many other places if he is making 6M per. even 5M would be hard to digest for large portions of the seasons when it comes to a player like him.
Talking about him after a 3 point game is different than what he normally brings.

Reactions: TFHockey

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
More about how Hyman got more than RNH, while beeing worse than Pulju. Also, I bet agents look at underlying stats, ice-time, usage etc. Puljujärvi do more with less time than both of them, so I bet his agent will point that out? RNH got 6M longterm after having 56p in 2014. Puljujärvi is on pace for better. Do you suggest his agent will settle for less than RNH got 7yrs ago?
Also, most teams nowadays like to pay for their youngsters. Not like the old day when 33yr olds got the big contracts. I bet that if Oilers low-ball him there is other takers.
I'm not doubting he'll get it, I just don't see why he's worth that yet. In RNH's case, he had 3 good ELC years and was a 1oa pick who they viewed as a future superstar. I'm sure they also view Pulju as a future star, but he's definitely shown much less thus far.

If anything, it probably shows more that RNH took a good discount to stay with Edmonton.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
All of this is a problem because Holland is a ridiculously awful gm.

I mean who could have foreseen that 25 games in every one is trying to figure out how to get rid of Duncan Keith, how to get away from an awful Kassian contract or how to get away from all the idiotic 2 year deals he gave to bottom of the barrel jag players.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
A team like ARI cant even keep its #1D on a sweet deal. No way they spend 7M on a player like Puljujarvi

If Pulju signs a Kotkaneimi like offersheet Oilers take the picks. He will become a punching bag in Edmonton or many other places if he is making 6M per. even 5M would be hard to digest for large portions of the seasons when it comes to a player like him.
Talking about him after a 3 point game is different than what he normally brings.
i think most of us on hfoil would be very comfortable if he were making 5m given what he's brought to the team, which is in the same bracket as RNH and Hyman for impact

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d be leery of paying him too much or locking him up long term given his history. Maybe a bridge deal at $5 million per to prove that he can keep this up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad