Speculation: Will Oilers afford Puljujärvi?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The Most important thing- Don’t lose Puljujarvi.!

Pay the man and move out trash to do it. Kassian, Barrie, Keith, And Ryan are all potential dumps to make this happen

Cant dump or buyout Keith. NMC does that. Buyout would save 1M only. Best way would be a 2yr bridge, otherwise you have to pay picks/prospects to dump the others.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
RNH got RFA-money in 2014 signing 6M/. How on earth didnt you know that?
Well, I was referencing to the new deals signed by RNH and Hyman this year.. why would I reference his 2014 deal and Hyman's current one?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
RNH got RFA-money in 2014 signing 6M/. How on earth didnt you know that? And no - I wouldnt give a 5yr contract. Either a 2yr bridge or an 8yr deal. 5yr contracts go straight to UFA and shouldnt be used if you can avoid them.
Holland added terms to the deals to save his job. He is only worried about the next 2 seasons and doesn't really care what happens afterwards. He will give Yama, McLeod and Pulju 8 yr deals if it helps fit them under cap next season.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Well, I was referencing to the new deals signed by RNH and Hyman this year.. why would I reference his 2014 deal and Hyman's current one?

Well RNH:s new deal was low because he had 35p in 56gp. 5.125M is actually pretty high for that. Puljujärvi is a RFA, so ofcourse you compare to the same teams RFA:s. How is it better to compare to a regressed UFA, than an upcoming RFA?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
They should 100% make room for him . Skilled big body young kid that is now producing.
Only way the dont sign him is if they think trading him for picks prospects so it might be better for ELC and more cost control for a longer period but i cant see that happening .

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Well if they can't fit him in they will get more for him in a trade then the 2nd or 3rd round pick some people on here suggested he be traded for just for the sake of trading him. before last season.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Well if they can't fit him in they will get more for him in a trade then the 2nd or 3rd round pick some people on here suggested he be traded for just for the sake of trading him. before last season.

Well, I`d suspect the offers would start with a low 1st and a prospect. There is still no point trading him when you look at Oilers contracts. He is looking good out there with McDrai and they benefit playing together. There is no point in taking futures when your best players are in their prime and have 3,5/4,5yrs until UFA.
If you do that, then you can also trade McDavid and Draisaitl for a haul and build for 2025 forward...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Holland added terms to the deals to save his job. He is only worried about the next 2 seasons and doesn't really care what happens afterwards. He will give Yama, McLeod and Pulju 8 yr deals if it helps fit them under cap next season.

Giving up term will help you squeeze under the cap when you're dealing with UFA age players that are expected to decline. It doesn't work that way with the young players.

I could be wrong but if you offer Puljujarvi $4m x 4 he might be more likely to take it than a $4m x 8.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Giving up term will help you squeeze under the cap when you're dealing with UFA age players that are expected to decline. It doesn't work that way with the young players.

I could be wrong but if you offer Puljujarvi $4m x 4 he might be more likely to take it than a $4m x 8.

Ofcourse he would. It would get him to UFA. It wouldnt benefit the Oilers though, so better offer 4-4,5M/2yrs and he stay RFA or the go straight for 6M/8yrs, but then you have to do other moves, like dumping Kassia, Barrie with +:s

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Well, I`d suspect the offers would start with a low 1st and a prospect. There is still no point trading him when you look at Oilers contracts. He is looking good out there with McDrai and they benefit playing together. There is no point in taking futures when your best players are in their prime and have 3,5/4,5yrs until UFA.
If you do that, then you can also trade McDavid and Draisaitl for a haul and build for 2025 forward...
I am not suggesting they trade him. I was just saying that if they can't afford to keep him like people are claiming that he is thankfully not worth the meager amount people suggested he be traded for previously. I fully expect them to keep him.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Thats 71,67M in 17 contracts with Puljujärvi, Yamamoto, McLeod as RFA:s. Oilers need 6 players signed, including a goalie for roughly 10M. With Puljujärvis play his long-term contract should be above Hyman/RNH.
Are you counting the dead cap?
Buyouts
James Neal: $1,916,667
Andrej Sekera: $1,500,000

Retained Salary Transactions
Milan Lucic: $750,000 (13%)

Edit: Klefbom will also likely stay on LTIR.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ofcourse he would. It would get him to UFA. It wouldnt benefit the Oilers though, so better offer 4-4,5M/2yrs and he stay RFA or the go straight for 6M/8yrs, but then you have to do other moves, like dumping Kassia, Barrie with +:s

$4m x 4 is better for the Oilers than $4m x 2 or $6m x 8.

They need to win now.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If they are smart , they move others around and make room for him . You have a known product that is good production for the cost ( what SHOULD be a decent cost)
If he indicates he wants a crazy $$ value contract , then and only then you move him .

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Are you counting the dead cap?
Buyouts
James Neal: $1,916,667
Andrej Sekera: $1,500,000

Retained Salary Transactions
Milan Lucic: $750,000 (13%)

Edit: Klefbom will also likely stay on LTIR.

Good point. I didnt even count thoose in, so its worse than I counted.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
No can do. Keiths buyout would save only 1M. They also cant ride Smith/Skinner in goal. They need a goalie. There is the option to trade Kassian, Barrie, Ceci or Derek, but most of theese need ++ to even be moved. I`d say the problem is pretty bad. 6 players needed and 10M space and preferrable a 1A/1B goalie. If you give Pulju 6M, you have 4M left for 5 players one beeing Yamamoto who will probably need 2,5-3M on a bridge.
What? Skinner is going to, possibly this next week, have the full ability to take the starters job. He’s played great in the AHL and developed very well to date. People love to bash on the Oilers goaltending and how they need a goalie, but their isn’t now and won’t be an option this offseason that will work better for them then giving Skinner a shot. If Smith is healthy, big if, I have zero doubt they try to run a Smith/Skinner combo next year.

Barrie is easily moved, he will have 2 years left at 5M, many teams would gladly take that deal on, with likely little to no + added

People also forget that the Oilers do actually have some very good up and coming prospects in Holloway and Broberg who should be full time NHLers next year and will address some of the current short comings their roster has.

They don’t have many openings on the roster for next season as is. Their cap situation is very manageable even with a Puljujarvi contract.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No can do. Keiths buyout would save only 1M. They also cant ride Smith/Skinner in goal. They need a goalie. There is the option to trade Kassian, Barrie, Ceci or Derek, but most of theese need ++ to even be moved. I`d say the problem is pretty bad. 6 players needed and 10M space and preferrable a 1A/1B goalie. If you give Pulju 6M, you have 4M left for 5 players one beeing Yamamoto who will probably need 2,5-3M on a bridge.

They'll move other contracts out to keep Puljujarvi. Yamamoto will likely be one of them. No concerns from this Oiler fan.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
They better lock him up now

What if a team like Arizona comes along and offersheets
7 years x 6.1M?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yamamoto and McLeod will get similar money to what they're making now, IMO.

Hyman (5.5) McDavid (12.5) Puljujarvi (5)
RNH (5.125) Drai (8.5) Yamamoto (1.25)
Holloway (925k) McLeod (1.25) Foegele (2.75)
Benson (800k) Ryan (1.25) Kassian (3.25)
Shore (850k) 14th F (TBD)

Nurse (9.5) Bouchard (863k)
Keith (5.5) Ceci (3.25)
Lagesson (800) Barrie (4.5)
Niemelainen (800k)

Smith (2.2)
Skinner (750k)

With buyouts and dead money that lineup is just a shade under 82M.

Personally I think Barrie is traded in the offseason and replaced with a cheaper option.

Reactions: TFHockey

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Yamamoto and McLeod will get similar money to what they're making now, IMO.

Hyman (5.5) McDavid (12.5) Puljujarvi (5)
RNH (5.125) Drai (8.5) Yamamoto (1.25)
Holloway (925k) McLeod (1.25) Foegele (2.75)
Benson (800k) Ryan (1.25) Kassian (3.25)
Shore (850k) 14th F (TBD)

Nurse (9.5) Bouchard (863k)
Keith (5.5) Ceci (3.25)
Lagesson (800) Barrie (4.5)
Niemelainen (800k)

Smith (2.2)
Skinner (750k)

With buyouts and dead money that lineup is just a shade under 82M.

Personally I think Barrie is traded in the offseason and replaced with a cheaper option.

That is a VERY WEAK ROSTER
also a team can offersheet Puljujarvi 6.1 m x 7 and not have to give up much - OR offersheet 7M x 7 and really screw the oilers
team could do the same with Yamo @ 2 M and not have to give up a SINGLE PICK

and this doesnt fix the problem of ZERO forward depth, Bad Defence and a prehistoric goalie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That is a VERY WEAK ROSTER
also a team can offersheet Puljujarvi 6.1 m x 7 and not have to give up much - OR offersheet 7M x 7 and really screw the oilers
team could do the same with Yamo @ 2 M and not have to give up a SINGLE PICK

and this doesnt fix the problem of ZERO forward depth, Bad Defence and a prehistoric goalie

you think 750k more than what he'd get here would be enough to cripple the Oilers? come on now haha. You'd have to offer Yamamoto in the 3.5 range to get the Oilers thinking.

Puljujarvi would have to be in the 8 range

Reactions: Ragdoll and ujju2

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
you think 750k more than what he'd get here would be enough to cripple the Oilers? come on now haha. You'd have to offer Yamamoto in the 3.5 range to get the Oilers thinking.

Puljujarvi would have to be in the 8 range

ok - redo your numbers with the oilers matching Puljujarvi at 7 x 7.9 and Yamo at 2M

lets see the roster??????????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad