Why are North American chants so lame compared to soccer chants/songs?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Seems to me that the game is secondary to the chants for some of these fans.

This is true, there's certainly a portion of Euro fans that care more about drinking and chanting than being into the actual sport. But on the other hand, there's probably a sizeable portion of NA fans that are more into the corporate spectacle than the actual sport. Why else would the Super Bowl half-time show with Beyonce be bigger than the actual game? Just two different approaches.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
So but your own definition then baseball must be boring since Japanese baseball fans chant the whole game right?

What about Japanese baseball fans who invent songs and chants at games ? Are you that much of a hypocrite?

Yes, baseball is also boring. Hypocrite? Settle down dude. The baseball forum is that way. Feel free to head over there.

Reactions: Turbonium

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Compare them to European hockey chants first. They don't hold up in that comparison either.

I think Europeans go to a hockey game convinced they are part of the entertainment. NHL fans pay a huge price and want entertainment for that buck. That was how I was explained it by a Rangers fan at a Flyers Rangers game. How are AHL games?

Reactions: johan f and DaveG

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
No. It’s a daily occurrence at soccer matches all over Europe, not just in the Eastern part.

Also this great atmosphere you find in Europe, South America soccer games is thousands of shirtless unemployed men in the stands going rabid and always in the r verge of rioting .

In North America sports are considered a family event so you can bring your kids or you know, women, which you never see in these ultras sections (for good reason.)

Sure leave it to Europeans who have such a boner over shitting on America to consider acting like barbarians at a sporting event as something that makes them “better”.

Imagine if it were the other way around .
The bolded part is beyond laughable. Childish stereotypes that lower you as an individual. Do better.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Hockey crowds are much richer than European soccer crowds. Rich people aren't going to act like hooligans.
1_drunkhawksfan_medium.gif

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
For North American fans, sport is almost like going to a theater show, or watching a movie. It is odd for you guys to have such high emotions that then generate all sorts of chants, trash talking, choreography, even fights and hooliganism.

For European fans, team sports are more of a tribal thing. It‘s a us vs them thing. That‘s why emotions are very high, to the point of brawls happening (sometimes involving many people at once), and fans organize themselves in fan clubs who create these chants, bring all sort of flags and banners, drums and flares, and so on.

It‘s two completely different ways of being a fan.
I honestly dont think half of them care about the game, just want to fight

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
zero interruptions in soccer
I think you nailed it right here. With hockey there are regular interruptions that are often filled by music, promos ("IT'S TIME FOR THE TED'S PLUMBING DANCE CAM!!!!!!!!") and other distractions. With soccer they have none of that so it allows for those sorts of chants, songs, etc. to happen.

Reactions: DaveG

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
No. It’s a daily occurrence at soccer matches all over Europe, not just in the Eastern part.

Also this great atmosphere you find in Europe, South America soccer games is thousands of shirtless unemployed men in the stands going rabid and always in the r verge of rioting .

In North America sports are considered a family event so you can bring your kids or you know, women, which you never see in these ultras sections (for good reason.)

Sure leave it to Europeans who have such a boner over shitting on America to consider acting like barbarians at a sporting event as something that makes them “better”.

Imagine if it were the other way around .

I mean, this is a take.

I think it's time to turn off cable news, get away from the internet and go outside for a bit. And maybe actually travel to some countries in Europe and South America.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I hate the chanting and constant noise like that.

It works in soccer when a large part of the time it's just dudes running up and down the field. There isn't the constant source of action hockey has, and I don't think the players would love having the fans with nonsensical chants and noises.

I believe that we will win! Go team!

Sounds like high school shit.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

It works in soccer when a large part of the time it's just dudes running up and down the field. There isn't the constant source of action hockey has, and I don't think the players would love having the fans with nonsensical chants and noises.

I first heard the "I believe that we will win!" at the World Cup in... 2014 (I think) from American fans and I nearly cringed myself inside out. It's great that they try and everything but just... no.

As much as I've enjoyed some of the nonsense in this thread, one thing I don't think I've seen mentioned is that European sports also have a greater tradition of supporters travelling to away matches to support their team. Obviously this is much more practical in a European sense where countries are much smaller and that can actually be done by large(ish) groups of people.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

Clearly you haven't watched how hockey games are in Europe.

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
I think it’s hard for North Americans to truly comprehend the absolute tribal lunacy of football fans in places like the UK. Where I live (in a county called Derbyshire) there's a team called Chesterfield in the 4th tier, then just over the border in Nottinghamshire you've got Mansfield Town. When these 2 teams meet the mutual loathing is insane and it's based on the 1984 miners' strike, where Nottinghamshire miners crossed the picket line to return to work, whilst the Derbyshire miners did not. Hence the chants of 'scabs' every time they play.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Clearly you haven't watched how hockey games are in Europe.

Nope, aside from tournaments and the IIHF, I don't watch European or international hockey games.

But if given the choice of watching soccer or any hockey game, I'd take the lowest level of European hockey over the highest of soccer. I pay attention when the US is in the World Cup, but they've become annoying with so many unlikable coaches and players I don't really care for that anymore.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Correct. So why did you quote my post?
Lol, I was simply having a conversation and responding with a different point of view.

I hope you have a better day/weekend or whatever it is you seem to need, jfc.

Yeah, American chants are stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad