Why are North American chants so lame compared to soccer chants/songs?

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
They do that annoying Seven nation army chant in other countries as well. We all suck equally.

Come to think of it, we don't do that in Montreal (yet). Montreal > Planet Earth

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
“ college athletics are more for the love of the game” That’s the best joke I heard all day.

Good thing to see some consistency in here

It’s just European soccer thought it’s also Australian afl and nrl, Japanese baseball , New Zealand rugby , Indian cricket. Etc.. basically everywhere outside of the United States and canada
I'd argue for the supporters it still is, with more than a touch of politics and regionalism mixed in. For the athletes? Lol that's been dead for decades, NIL just woke up everyone that didn't already realize it.

But there's a reason that the average say Clemson fan is a lot more blue collar than the average Carolina Panthers fan despite drawing from the same metro area. Everything you say about the luxury boxes and the like is spot on, but your average non mega donor fan is still the same guy he was 50 years ago in attitude.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Yes we should be more like Europeans and throw bananas and make monkey noises at black athletes , they are just so superior
Personally I'm not a big believer in seeing one fan culture as necessarily superior to the other. They are just different and reflections of their respective origins.
One thing I like about North America for instance is you have fans of either team sitting next to each other peacefully, enjoying the game, cheering for their squad. In Europe fan groups have to be kept separate by fences or the police in order for them to not go at each others' throats, something they often manage to do regardless.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I'd argue for the supporters it still is, with more than a touch of politics and regionalism mixed in. For the athletes? Lol that's been dead for decades, NIL just woke up everyone that didn't already realize it.

But there's a reason that the average say Clemson fan is a lot more blue collar than the average Carolina Panthers fan despite drawing from the same metro area. Everything you say about the luxury boxes and the like is spot on, but your average non mega donor fan is still the same guy he was 50 years ago in attitude.
Basically I’m right that college football fans are naive and delusional

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
When it comes to which sports teams we should have irrational devotion to, it's probably best just not to throw stones.
I’m not saying sits a bad thing just man college football fans were pearl clutching about nil while had no problem with coach salaries.

Reactions: DaveG

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m not saying sits a bad thing just man college football fans were pearl clutching about nil while had no problem with coach salaries.

The pearl clutching was mostly from the teams that were excellent at cheating. They lost their advantage and they were mad about it. Realists knew that it just brought into the light what was already happening.

My school is recruiting better now. I think it’s great.

Bowl games and commercials out of the wazoo. Your living in denial

Bowl games outside of the playoff are basically exhibition games. There are a ton of opt outs. You play a noon game on New Year’s Day in Raymond James stadium. No, that’s not a thrilling experience. The players get a vacation and a few extra practices to prepare for next year. That’s not what people are talking about when they say college games are exciting.

Commercials have no effect on the in-person experience which is what this thread’s about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight and DaveG

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
European soccer has an issue with hooligans, but singing and chanting has nothing to do with it.

Imagine an NHL game in which fans of one team stay silent to listen to the beautiful singing of the other team! No, I can’t imagine it, especially if the singing team is down 4-0, and yet it can be a thing in soccer, especially if the Irish are involved:

Or check Liverpool fans singing You’ll Never Walk Alone. Goosebumps! Now, I know this is proper singing and not chanting, but both are related. European teams often have a long and rich history that goes way beyond their current owners or even the league they play in. US sports feel incredibly corporate in comparison.

Umm, we've already seen sectarian chants related to Serbia this tournament. Liverpool have chanted horrific stuff in the past about Munich (when playing United), and United in return has chanted horrific stuff related to Heysal and Hillsborough. So, it absolutely has carried over into chants.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
European soccer has an issue with hooligans, but singing and chanting has nothing to do with it.

Imagine an NHL game in which fans of one team stay silent to listen to the beautiful singing of the other team! No, I can’t imagine it, especially if the singing team is down 4-0, and yet it can be a thing in soccer, especially if the Irish are involved:

Or check Liverpool fans singing You’ll Never Walk Alone. Goosebumps! Now, I know this is proper singing and not chanting, but both are related. European teams often have a long and rich history that goes way beyond their current owners or even the league they play in. US sports feel incredibly corporate in comparison.

These f***ing dinks can all sit around a campfire and get eaten alive by the local fauna. This ridiculous sing songs shit is lame AF.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So but your own definition then baseball must be boring since Japanese baseball fans chant the whole game right?

What about Japanese baseball fans who invent songs and chants at games ? Are you that much of a hypocrite?
I’m not a hypocrite and I’m not Japanese

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
So but your own definition then baseball must be boring since Japanese baseball fans chant the whole game right?

Yeah, baseball is boring. The games last 2.5-3 hours and the ball is in play less than 15 minutes of that time. Boring as hell.

What about Japanese baseball fans who invent songs and chants at games ? Are you that much of a hypocrite?

Hypocrite? I don't think you know what that term means because the other poster never said anything about baseball.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
2 things for me.
One, football is deeply engrained in the social fabric to fans in Europe. They live and breathe their clubs
Two, the game itself opens itself up to this. 45 minutes of uninterrupted play sheer mind-numbing boredom.

Fixed that for you.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Don't forget the "USA! USA! USA!" chants from the inebriated twenty-something crowd who are too stupid to realize the NHL isn't international competition.

I remember watching a Boston game a few years ago, and they had more Canadian born players than their Canadian based opponent (cannot remember which team). When the Bruins took the lead, the mindless idiots in the stands started that obnoxious "USA, USA" chant. Never underestimate the stupidity of many American fans.

Reactions: Patrik26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad