Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah that would be impressive if we only watch point totals. He lost his matchup vs Barkov on 5 of 7 games. Doesn't matter if it's 10-0 or 1-0 win, it matters how many wins you can get. Mcdavid's 4 point game on a 8-1 win including points on goals 4-1, 5-1, 6-1 and 7-1 was definitely the best achievement ever. He was most important player on the ice on one game, game 5.
This is a really good post.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Florida beat Tampa, Bruins, Rangers, AND the Oilers.
Oilers beat Kings, Canucks (both suck), and Stars and lost the Cup.

McDavid played against mostly bad teams, had more bad games than Bobrovsky. Oilers could have reached the finals without McDavid against those teams. Bobrovsky beat by far the higher quality teams, including McDavid. He was the most valuable player on any team, he literally WAS the reason they won the Cup. If you don't think so then you're a homer or a hater
At least you and I put players deservful in the same discussion. Bob was the runner up for the Conn Smyth on the Panthers.

Your take on 97 having less impact on the Oilers while patching up 42 points and + 12 is weird. Assuming Panthers competition was harder, while they went thru Tampa 4-1, and Boston and Rangers 4-2 is also not confirmed, neither factual.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
So...if the oilers had won (thank God they didn't) would he still have refused to go over and accept it? I mean hell, if individual awards are so boring to receive, right? I'm sure he would've waved Gary off and continued to celebrate with his team like the good captain he is until they brought out the Cup. He's a baby.

I mean if he's already out there - why not....but to leave the dressing room to go accept that thing? Meh.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yea but it isn't - he was the most important player on the ice in all 7 games...if he wasn't, Florida wouldn't have constructed their entire strategy around shutting him down.
BOB

FL wasn't winning without BOB

Oil won without McJesus playing well

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You think Bobrovsky was the most important player on the ice? Guy let in 5/5 breakaway goals - if the shots weren't kept to the outside the guy was god awful. I'm not sure he was the most important.
In the biggest game in the biggest series who played better... BOB or McDavid?

Barkov was unanimously the second place winner by votes and guys are trying to make a case for Bobrovsky?
Either is better than a loser

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
1 point in 4 SCF losses

Zero points in G6 & G7?

Ouch. How many more games did he play to break Gretz record?
That sums up all what you need to know. Oilers rely ON McDavid to win. He got them to one goal winning the SC... that tells all what you need to know.

Again for all the smarties on this board.
42 points and a + 12............................
As per 99, are you old enough to have seen him play. Have you heard of the Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Messier, Tikkanen just to name a few and probably one of the 3 or 4 best team assemble ever.....
Congrats for you SC champs though, while I hate the Panthers, they deserved their SC championship

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
That sums up all what you need to know. Oilers rely ON McDavid to win. He got them to one goal winning the SC... that tells all what you need to know.

Again for all the smarties on this board.
42 points and a + 12............................
As per 99, are you old enough to have seen him play. Have you heard of the Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Messier, Tikkanen just to name a few and probably one of the 3 or 4 best team assemble ever.....
Congrats for you SC champs though, while I hate the Panthers, they deserved their SC championship
Plus/minus is meaningless.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I said Barkov shut him down. Which is accurate based on the links I've happily provided.

Is one point in four games showing up when your primary purpose is scoring?

And he did nothing in game six or seven either. Congrats.
No, the Florida panthers TEAM shut him down at certain points, and he still created a ton of chances regardless. He also scored 11 god damn points in the series total, which is a hilarious fact that you keep glossing over

Reactions: Bradely

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
It’s embarrassing how some of you are dealing with this, you’re making your teams fan base look bad
It is ok to accept McMid is the most undeserving Con Smythe winner in the history of sport. They gave it to name out os spite to Florida. You have Oliers writers put Oliers 1-2-3 on the ballet. It the same losers who cry about taxes and always straw man about "real hockey fans.''

The proof is in; southern markets do it better. And these old farts can not accept it, so they give an award to a guy that was bent over on knee and slapped around in game 7.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
No, the Florida panthers TEAM shut him down at certain points, and he still created a ton of chances regardless. He also scored 11 god damn points in the series total, which is a hilarious fact that you keep glossing over
I haven't glossed over anything. What I've posted repeatedly is this:

Game one: zero points
Game two: one point
Game three: two points
Game four: four points
Game five: four points
Game six: zero points
Game seven: zero points

So let me ask you a question all the other McDavid supporters refuse to answer. Would you consider a player that scored 11 points in one game and none the other six as playing well?

Because consistency is the crux of the argument. I know it's an idea that's hard to grasp, but that's the whole point laid out on a platter for you.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
McDavid - Florida's team defense did more than Bob.

Bob wasn't able to put a team away 3 games in a row and was a damn sieve for all 3.

He put them away with 4 wins.
1.25GAA and .954 sv% in those 4 wins.

Meanwhile McDavid picked up garbage points and only 3 wins.
No game-winning goals. No game-winning points No game-tying points.

But he was great for 3/4 series.
Bob was only great when it mattered most.

• Haha
Reactions: roon and Hank Plank

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
It is ok to accept McMid is the most undeserving Con Smythe winner in the history of sport. They gave it to name out os spite to Florida. You have Oliers writers put Oliers 1-2-3 on the ballet. It the same losers who cry about taxes and always straw man about "real hockey fans.''

The proof is in; southern markets do it better. And these old farts can not accept it, so they give an award to a guy that was bent over on knee and slapped around in game 7.
Cringe

Reactions: Video Nasty

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
McDavid was the best player in the playoffs. I don't know why so many people overthink these things.
He wasn't though. Not even top 2. But the only stats that seems to matter to many is points. Defense and goaltending just are not important. It amazing because most of these Northern fans claim to be "real fans" yet the only thing they can do is count points.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
McDavid - Florida's team defense did more than Bob.

Bob wasn't able to put a team away 3 games in a row and was a damn sieve for all 3.
LOLOLOL.

Bob held the best offense in the league to ONE goal in the biggest game of the season.

the biggest. BOB.

olli

Most unbiased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
Bob was great when he needed to be these playoffs but he wasn’t good from games 4-6 and the overall numbers weren’t there. Can’t win the Connsmuthe with a .906 save percentage. Barkov was floridas mvp but McDavid was far more deserving for being 1 and 3 players to ever score 40 points and breaking Gretzkys record for most assists. Without him Florida would’ve won in 4 no doubt. Regardless of whether or not he produced the last 2 Games people on this site dont understand how special what he did was. And he did it with a core muscle injury that probably at the very least weakened his shooting ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad