Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It was four games. And I'm specifically talking about the SCF.

I have. Multiple times in this thread. Tweets and a break down of his points by game. Which you won't address or ignore. They're scattered across the thread. But instead of engaging in a real conversation you just repeat the same post and accuse me of "fudging the numbers" or being disingenuous.

I've asked you numerous questions and attempted to engage in a real conversation and all I get in return are silly comments about nothing. Particle accelerators and Monty Python.

The lesson I've learned today is, just because you're a mod doesn't make you a serious poster.

*Squak* 11 points in seven games *squak*

Was trying to find a summary through seven games, but couldn't.

If you happen to find them please post. I'd love to review.
You've misrepresented numbers and contradicted yourself again and again, and now pretend to have 'engaged in conversation'. Please. Your posts are a mess of random stick-figure stats you're pretending are the same as McDavid's number of goals and assists. For whatever reasons, you seem emotionally compelled to keep denying what everyone else can see. The case for McDavid has been made by the vast majority of fans, the media, and most of all by McDavid's outstanding numbers. He deserved the Conn Smythe.

You've added no substance to this discussion and have convinced absolutely no one.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I meant Hextall. My point still stands.
Not really, did Hextall even accept it on the ice? All I've seen is a picture of him holding it in the hallway of the arena. Either way, Hextall was a rookie goaltender, his teammates probably encouraged him to go accept it.

Zap Rowsdower

Sep 10, 2019
Florida beat Tampa, Bruins, Rangers, AND the Oilers.
Oilers beat Kings, Canucks (both suck), and Stars and lost the Cup.

McDavid played against mostly bad teams, had more bad games than Bobrovsky. Oilers could have reached the finals without McDavid against those teams. Bobrovsky beat by far the higher quality teams, including McDavid. He was the most valuable player on any team, he literally WAS the reason they won the Cup. If you don't think so then you're a homer or a hater

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
When you win as many awards as McDavid does its old news. Guy is just tired of wasting the steps to collect more hardware...its boring.
This is totally beside the point. When he was announced as the winner he knew what was expected of him. As a face of the league it was his duty to go out and receive it, but because he's a baby he threw a tantrum and refused.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
McDavid needing 2+ points in every game in order to have a good SCF, even though that would've been an NHL record, is not a good argument.

This is totally beside the point. When he was announced as the winner he knew what was expected of him. As a face of the league it was his duty to go out and receive it, but because he's a baby he threw a tantrum and refused.
No, it wasn't.

Reactions: Bradely

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
McDavid needing 2+ points in every game in order to have a good SCF, even though that would've been an NHL record, is not a good argument.

No, it wasn't.
It absolutely was. As captain and face of the league he was supposed to go out there and show sportsmanship.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
You've misrepresented numbers and contradicted yourself again and again, and now pretend to have 'engaged in conversation'. Please. Your posts are a mess of random stick-figure stats you're pretending are the same as McDavid's number of goals and assists.

You continue to claim I misrepresented the numbers and when I ask how I've done this you provide no explanation. Just repeating the same thing ad nauseum.

Please, the floor is yours and this assignent is open book, how have I contradicted myself? There is no time limit and I await your response patiently.

Show me, stop telling me.
For whatever reasons, you seem emotionally compelled to keep denying what everyone else can see. The case for McDavid has been made by the vast majority of fans, the media, and most of all by McDavid's outstanding numbers. He deserved the Conn Smythe.

You've added no substance to this discussion and have convinced absolutely no one.
Argumentum ad populum.

I've added more substance than you or anyone else. You've done nothing but say "11 points in seven games" is good over and over. Whereas I've actually provided breakdowns and links.

Accuse my opponent of my own misdeeds. You're a trip.

From now on I'm replying to all your posts with: you've fudged the numbers and I'm not going to provide a shred of evidence.

Stop spinning like an electron collider.

Turnabout is fair play.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Not really, did Hextall even accept it on the ice? All I've seen is a picture of him holding it in the hallway of the arena. Either way, Hextall was a rookie goaltender, his teammates probably encouraged him to go accept it.

As I stated earlier, Hextall accepted it just outside his dressing room not on the ice as should be done when a player from the losing team wins. The on ice celebrations are for the winning team, not for a member of the losing side.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Ahh - I forgot you were in the room with him when he decided not to go out and fully understand his motivations.

I'm going to stick with him just being bored with winning constant individual awards for being as great as he is. Shit gets old fast....you go get that one Dad.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
It absolutely was. As captain and face of the league he was supposed to go out there and show sportsmanship.

I disagree. As a captain his obligation to his team....not to satisfy the senstitivities of fans by collecting personal accolades in the wake of his teams defeat.

As for face of the league....it that a title that comes with contractual obligations like Miss America? Get paraded out there and provide fodder for the assholes of the internet that will turn you into a meme anyway? What does that pay?

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The trophy is for the most valuable player in the playoffs. Just shocked at the lack of awareness of what McDavid accomplished this playoff run. One of the best runs in history. Lets just give it to someone random because their team won the cup.

The difference in the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup was one goal in a game 7. How does one goal in one game equate to his dominance over everyone else these past two month being erased. Then to have the fans boo him. Clearly Florida fans don't understand how special his run was or they are just classless. I think it's both. That booing was an embarrassment for the league and a disgrace to the city.

I don’t mind that they booed him because I understand the average sports fan. They’re not capable of something like that.

Cheering him would demonstrate a level of grace in victory, self-awareness, and empathy that most people lack, let alone the average rabid sports fan that only understands the thrills of a simple win or loss.

A polite clap to recognize the effort of a fallen opponent for a moment, before moving on to the ultimate prize of watching your team celebrate a huge win is a romantic idea, but unrealistic.

• Wow
Reactions: sanscosm

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

And if he did, you would crucify him for caring more about individual hardware than his team. Don’t pretend you care about what you perceive to be good sportsmanship or the health of the league. He was first to congratulate every member of the Panthers and last to leave the ice after a word with each member of his own squad. You want him to hang out on the ice after that because of a potential shot at scooping up the hardware that was not part of the team’s goal this season? What other dance is necessary for you?

Reactions: cptjeff

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Yeah that would be impressive if we only watch point totals. He lost his matchup vs Barkov on 5 of 7 games. Doesn't matter if it's 10-0 or 1-0 win, it matters how many wins you can get. Mcdavid's 4 point game on a 8-1 win including points on goals 4-1, 5-1, 6-1 and 7-1 was definitely the best achievement ever. He was most important player on the ice on one game, game 5.
To each it own. The first game was all BOB. At 3-0 Barkov won nothing. Game 7, is the won questionable.
Conn Smyth is for the whole PO.
IMO, Bob deserved the Conn Smyth on Barkov. That sums it up to me

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Still a lot of salty, foolish posters kicking around I see. McDavid needed more intangibles and whatnot.

Hope these posts stick around for future generations to laugh at.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
I root for McDavid every year out in the west, and he was a monster in these playoffs, but when it mattered absolutely most, he wasn't there. You just can't win the Conn Smythe if you didn't perform in the 2 biggest games of the season in my opinion.

Maybe the fact there was no clear frontrunner on Florida helped his cause.
The fact he didn’t bury that attempt when he was all alone right infront of Bob astounds me and he’ll never forget that moment… especially if he never gets another chance at the cup.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
1 point in 4 SCF losses

Zero points in G6 & G7?

Ouch. How many more games did he play to break Gretz record?

Reactions: Shane Diesel

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
I'm going to stick with him just being bored with winning constant individual awards for being as great as he is. Shit gets old fast....you go get that one Dad.

So...if the oilers had won (thank God they didn't) would he still have refused to go over and accept it? I mean hell, if individual awards are so boring to receive, right? I'm sure he would've waved Gary off and continued to celebrate with his team like the good captain he is until they brought out the Cup. He's a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad