Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Two things can be simultaneously true:

The Florida Panthers were the better overall team.

Conner McDavid was by far the best individual player on the ice in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Panthers are deserving Stanley Cup champs and the most well constructed and well rounded roster in the NHL. Conner McDavid is a deserving Conn Smythe winner for putting up one of the best individual playoff runs ever.

McDavid winning Conn Smythe does not takeaway from the Panthers' Stanley Cup run in any capacity and I doubt anyone in the organization is concerned with it at all.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Then they should actually HOLD THE VOTE AFTER THE GAMES ARE OVER! They don't and so it makes perfect sense to me that people would vote for McDavid. They could have still won when the vote was held and he was clearly the biggest difference maker in the Finals and in the playoffs overall.
Yep I just learned that they voted before game over. So yes now I understand completely why Mcdee won it.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Barkov's job was not to score. It was to neutralize McDavid. Which he did more often than not. There is more to life than offensive stats.

As for "playoffs as a whole": McDavid was not even the best Oilers forward in the first two series.
Barkov is a terrific player, but if 'neutralizing' McDavid means limiting him to 11 points, it only reinforces how much better McDavid is.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Barkov is a terrific player, but if 'neutralizing' McDavid means limiting him to 11 points, it only reinforces how much better McDavid is.
See below

Oh, I also completely forgot to mention McDavid had something like one point 5v5 against Florida when Barkov was on the ice.

SHUT. DOWN.

McDavid did zip against Barkov. Most of McDavid's three games worth of production came with Barkov off the ice.

Reactions: sanscosm

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
HF still remembers players like Chris Chelios who decided to skip the handshake line after a playoff series from 20 years ago.

I'm sure we'll hear about McDavid's non acceptance of the Conn Smythe trophy for many years to come, and the stigma will remain long after the debate about whether McDavid or a Panther deserved the reward.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
More spin.

SCF: 11 pts
Playoffs: 42 pts.
Did Barkov shut down McDavid or not?

Of course you don't want to parse the numbers any further than cursory totals because it continues to chip away at your argument.
In addition to navigating NHL.com you can follow hockey stat X accounts for your hot takes.

A true fan from Florida.
Any sort of rebuttal or just more thin-skinned insults because the numbers don't back up your gut?

Reactions: sanscosm

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Like changing the subject and not staying on topic?

But I'll direct this toward you now: Do you think not showing up in four games out of seven is playing well overall?
If you think McDavud didn’t show up those other games you either have a massive bias or didn’t actually watch the games.

Bobroavky was playing out of his mind those games and McDavid was creating chances left and right

They don’t sniff game 7 without him, what a ridiculous take

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
If you think McDavud didn’t show up those other games you either have a massive bias or didn’t actually watch the games.

I said Barkov shut him down. Which is accurate based on the links I've happily provided.

Is one point in four games showing up when your primary purpose is scoring?

Bobroavky was playing out of his mind those games and McDavid was creating chances left and right

They don’t sniff game 7 without him, what a ridiculous take
And he did nothing in game six or seven either. Congrats.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Of course you don't want to parse the numbers any further than cursory totals because it continues to chip away at your argument.

Any sort of rebuttal or just more thin-skinned insults because the numbers don't back up your gut?
Extracting moments when McDavid didn't score doesn't negate the incredible number of times he did score.

SCF: 11 pts.

You ran out of bullets five hours ago. To quote Monty Python: "This isn't an argument, it's contradiction!"

And your inevitable reply: "No it isn't!"

(C'mon man... lighten up!)

Reactions: PBandJ

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Extracting moments when McDavid didn't score doesn't negate the incredible number of times he did score.

SCF: 11 pts.

You ran out of bullets five hours ago. To quote Monty Python: "This isn't an argument, it's contradiction!"
If you keep repeating it then it'll definitely come true.

And your inevitable reply: "No it isn't!"

(C'mon man... lighten up!)
Now you're just accusing me of the things you're doing. Posting the same thing over and over.

And your reply to anything I post: 11 points in seven games is good.

Ignoring 91% of his Finals production came in three games and 9% came in the other four.

Out of curiosity, had the series gone the same way, but instead of 11 points across four games he put up all of them in one game and was shut out the rest would you still say he played well?

Because gross points is all you have. You sure can't argue he was consistent from game-to-game and he definitely struggled to put up points when Barkov went head-to-head, but sure. He was fantastic.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I kind of like that McDavid didn't come out for the Conn Smythe. I guess you could say its poor sportsmanship, but does he really need to awkwardly come onto the ice in the middle of the Panthers celebration, in their building, to accept an individual award?

The Captain was in the room with his team. The Smythe should either be awarded to the top player on the winning team, or should be handed out at the NHL awards to be honest.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

McDavid broke the playoff assist record set by Gretzky. Scored 10 more points than any other skater.

Exactly what numbers don't back up my gut? The 2 games you seem fixated on when the CST looks at the entire playoffs?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If you keep repeating it then it'll definitely come true.

Now you're just accusing me of the things you're doing. Posting the same thing over and over.

And your reply to anything I post: 11 points in seven games is good.

Ignoring 91% of his Finals production came in three games and 9% came in the other four.

Out of curiosity, had the series gone the same way, but instead of 11 points across four games he put up all of them in one game and was shut out the rest would you still say he played well?

Because gross points is all you have. You sure can't argue he was consistent from game-to-game and he definitely struggled to put up points when Barkov went head-to-head, but sure. He was fantastic.
Thanks for another random factoid that completely ignores what McDavid did.

As you continue spinning faster than a particle accelerator, a reminder that the onus is on you to show how one of the greatest playoff performances in history is unworthy of the CS and inferior to a player who got 20 less points. McDavid's numbers (11 pts in the SCF, 42 pts in the playoffs, in case you forgot) don't need me to prop them up.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Why are people upset the McDavid wasn't on the ice when the CS announcement was made?

Who knows, maybe he decided not to, the Oilers decided he shouldn't be, or the league decided he shouldn't be.

Once the game is over, it's all about the Panthers and the most important trophy, the Cup.

Some of you would be whining he shouldn't be out there taking some of the attention away from the Panthers celebration.

God, I'm beginning to f***ing hate hfboards and the pettiness of some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad