Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
More specifically, that play in front of the net is really going get at him.
Yup. Unless McDavid can lead a team to the Cup he will see that chance over and over in his dreams. He’s a great player and great players define themselves by championships.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
So you haven't played hockey and are just some casual that can navigate NHL.com and listen to some talking heads to form opinions. Neat.
Weren't you just waxing philosophical about the use of red herrings? Do as I say, not as I do with you apparently.
Barkov's strength is having lower expectations that McDavid? Got it.
If you have the same expectations offensively of Barkov and McDavid then you have nothing to blame, but your own ignorance.
You argued that not scoring points is not playing well - and this is somehow an argument against McDavid winning the CST.
Yes, because McDavid is an offensive player, he hardly brrings anything else to the table in the neutral and defensive zones. Barkov has the ability to impact a game in these areas.
If that was the case the majority of the rosters from both teams did not play well night in and night out. I am simply trying to understand your logic here....but there isn't a lot of it so its tough to follow.
You don't read thoroughly is your problem here.
Is he now? Are you cutting his checks and therefore setting the expected metrics for him to achieve?
You're 100% right, the player who carried the largest cap hit in the league for many seasons is paid to do everything, but score. How silly of me to get this confused.
I would say McDavid is paid to be the best player in the game - there is a lot more to that than offense.
Since when is McDavid known as a good defensive player? That's certainly news to me.

• Haha
Reactions: ohcomeonref

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Why not give SC to loser team while we are at it? As hockey community We need to do better go with the time, it's year 2024. Winning is outdated social construct we need to celebrate losers!!

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Weren't you just waxing philosophical about the use of red herrings? Do as I say, not as I do with you apparently.

If you have the same expectations offensively of Barkov and McDavid then you have nothing to blame, but your own ignorance.

Yes, because McDavid is an offensive player, he hardly brrings anything else to the table in the neutral and defensive zones. Barkov has the ability to impact a game in these areas.

You're 100% right, the player who carried the largest cap hit in the league for many seasons is paid to do everything, but score. How silly of me to get this confused.

Since when is McDavid known as a good defensive player? That's certainly news to me.
Oh it's you, let me get my laugh track ready.

Reactions: PBandJ

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He scored 10 out of his 11 points in three games. In the other four games he managed one point.

You think showing up in three games out of seven is playing well for an entire series?
In other words, McDavid scored in four games. You accomplish nothing by spinning facts.

Barkov was better than McDavid in 4 games out of 7. Speaking of "mental gymnastics"...
Wait... didn't you just say "You think showing up in three games out of seven is playing well for an entire series?" Um... Barkov scored in three games (total of 5 points). McDavid scored in four games for a total of 11 points. No misdirection or spin can change the fact that McDavid was – by far – the best player in this series and the playoffs as a whole.

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Guigure, Hextall, Leach and Crozier all did it what makes him so f***ing special and above them, it's pissing in the face of the league, the fans and being a little entitled brat, I remember this board pissing and moaning all summer in 09 when Sid didnt shake hands with the all mighty Kirk Maltby because he couldnt wait an extra 2 f***ing seconds when he was being mobbed by the media.
And everyone who voted for them is stupid also. No player on the losing team wants to accept that award. Hopefully by him it accepting it they change the way it should be voted on.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
And that one assist came in a 4-1 loss. How has that changed the overall point?
You haven't made a point. You've fudged numbers and blatantly contradicted yourself in a desperate bid to convince yourself that 11 points in 7 games is "Not showing up".

I have no dog in this fight. I'm not an Oliers fan and would've been just as happy if Bobrovsky won the CS. But seriously... you're working wayyyyy too hard to deny basic math. 42 points. 11 in the SCF.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

A simple yes would be sufficient.

You could simply agree with my statement instead of taking the long way.

Tell me you don't watch McDavid play outside of what you saw in the SCF without telling me.

Or that you don't make any sense.

Well - being a casual hockey fan who doesn't fully grasp what he is looking at on the Ice and relies almost fully upon play by play analysis to get his talking points I would expect you to feel this way.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
You haven't made a point. You've fudged numbers and blatantly contradicted yourself in a desperate bid to convince yourself that 11 points in 7 games is "Not showing up".
How have I fudged the numbers? I've presented them in all seven games exactly as they were recorded.

Simple question: is having little to no impact in four out of seven games showing up in a series?
A simple yes would be sufficient.

You could simply agree with my statement instead of taking the long way.

Tell me you don't watch McDavid play outside of what you saw in the SCF without telling me.

Or that you don't make any sense.

Well - being a casual hockey fan who doesn't fully grasp what he is looking at on the Ice and relies almost fully upon play by play analysis to get his talking points I would expect you to feel this way.
Insults, insults, insults. Anything of substance at all?

"Do you watch the games, bro" is the last refuge of charlatans.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
How have I fudged the numbers. I've presented them in all seven games exactly as they were recorded.
Pretending McDavid was shut down for the majority of games is factually wrong. Using Bizarro-world math, McDavid getting one point counts as being shut down. According to you he only 'shows up' when he has multiple point games.

On the other hand, Barkov – who you claimed was better – had only two games with multiple points. He had a single point in a 5-1 loss, which shouldn't count, according to your standards for McDavid. So by your own standards, Barkov only showed up for two games. Unlike McDavid, who didn't get a point in 3 games, Barkov didn't get any points in 4 games.

Some quotes for reference:
Yes, I'm saying Barkov shut him down in the majority of the games head-to-head.

When you only put up any significant points in three games out of seven then it really wasn't as impressive a series people make it out to be.

He scored 10 out of his 11 points in three games. In the other four games he managed one point.

You think showing up in three games out of seven is playing well for an entire series?

But I'll direct this toward you now: Do you think not showing up in four games out of seven is playing well overall?

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Why not give SC to loser team while we are at it? As hockey community We need to do better go with the time, it's year 2024. Winning is outdated social construct we need to celebrate losers!!
Then they should actually HOLD THE VOTE AFTER THE GAMES ARE OVER! They don't and so it makes perfect sense to me that people would vote for McDavid. They could have still won when the vote was held and he was clearly the biggest difference maker in the Finals and in the playoffs overall.

Reactions: TychoFan

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Pretending McDavid was shut down for the majority of games is factually wrong.
One assist in a 4-1 loss is showing up now? You have a very liberal definition of the phrase.

I'd give it to Barkov for his defense shutting down the most prolific scorer in the world for most of the series. I never said Barkov should win for his offensive production alone. Though that was still almost a ppg across the playoffs. It's a combination of play across all three zones.

You're putting words in my mouth now after incorrectly accusing me of fudging the numbers. Pot meet kettle.

Last edited:
  • Haha

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
The trophy is for the most valuable player in the playoffs. Just shocked at the lack of awareness of what McDavid accomplished this playoff run. One of the best runs in history. Lets just give it to someone random because their team won the cup.

The difference in the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup was one goal in a game 7. How does one goal in one game equate to his dominance over everyone else these past two month being erased. Then to have the fans boo him. Clearly Florida fans don't understand how special his run was or they are just classless. I think it's both. That booing was an embarrassment for the league and a disgrace to the city.

Reactions: george14 and AD1066

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ah yes, one point in four games is producing. How could I be so silly.

One assist in a 4-1 loss is showing up now? You have very liberal definition of the phrase.
Dude, you're mistaking this for a debate. Today is Tuesday. It's summer. McDavid was better than Barkov. The numbers aren't changing, no matter how many times you misrepresent them.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Great season by a great player. He's now won every great possible individual trophy (aside from Calder) and it shows his greatness.
Completely shutdown in game 7 but it was a close game and I'm sure he wants the taste again.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Dude, you're mistaking this for a debate. Today is Tuesday. It's summer. McDavid was better than Barkov. The numbers aren't changing, no matter how many times you misrepresent them.
I'll ask again: how have I misrepresented the numbers?

You repeating it without evidence doesn't prove anything.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
trophies are for winners.
which he proved he wasn't after not coming out to accept in front of fans.

from now on, please no hardware for the losers.

While we're at it, guys who choke when they have a chance to win as a player shouldn't get to lift the Cup because they have a patronage job collecting the GM's drycleaning and taking his lunch orders or whatever Luongo does.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
In other words, McDavid scored in four games. You accomplish nothing by spinning facts.

Wait... didn't you just say "You think showing up in three games out of seven is playing well for an entire series?" Um... Barkov scored in three games (total of 5 points). McDavid scored in four games for a total of 11 points. No misdirection or spin can change the fact that McDavid was – by far – the best player in this series and the playoffs as a whole.
Barkov's job was not to score. It was to neutralize McDavid. Which he did more often than not. There is more to life than offensive stats.

As for "playoffs as a whole": McDavid was not even the best Oilers forward in the first two series.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The trophy is for the most valuable player in the playoffs. Just shocked at the lack of awareness of what McDavid accomplished this playoff run. One of the best runs in history. Lets just give it to someone random because their team won the cup.

The difference in the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup was one goal in a game 7. How does one goal in one game equate to his dominance over everyone else these past two month being erased. Then to have the fans boo him. Clearly Florida fans don't understand how special his run was or they are just classless. I think it's both. That booing was an embarrassment for the league and a disgrace to the city.
To be fair, the majority of people bashing McDavid are not Panthers fans

Mostly just fans of teams that he smoked on the way to the Finals

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Steve Dangle changed my mind (yea that guy) he said did you want to see the saddest man in the world getting a trophy ala Sebastien Giguere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad