Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
But this is a discussion about the CST not the Cup. You're changing the subject.
But again you're assuming that "no points = bad performance". The Oilers played very well in game 1 despite scoring no goals. Credit to the Panthers for winning but it's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
But again you're assuming that "no points = bad performance". The Oilers played very well in game 1 despite scoring no goals. Credit to the Panthers for winning but it's not as simple as you're making it out to be.
Is McDavid paid to put up real points on the board or just fancy stats?

No points in a SCF loss is not playing well no matter how much you say otherwise.

Reactions: Daishi and Fatass

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Why won't you answer my question? It's a simple yes or no answer.

Just more deflection.

Your question is a Red Herring - I'm not playing your game.

The Conn Smyth has established criteria - that criteria doesn't fit your narrative and you are attempting to draw attention to something that you think does.

I think Connor McDavid had an amazing finals - and a historic playoff's. Well deserved Conn Smyth.

Yes, it is for the whole playoffs and has been demonstrated McDavid only produced for less than half the Finals.

You can argue semantics all you want, the fact of the matter is for the majority of the Finals McDavid didn't produce and that's his entire job. Whatever distinction you want to make for his four game disappearing act doesn't change that fact.

Arguments like this are always silly to me. "His entire job is to produce" - according to who? Kris Knoblauch is that you?

What's more hilarious is that if I were to point out Barkov's lack of production - the argument amazingly shifts again. "His job is to shut down other peoples top lines, not produce".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He didn’t come out to get his trophy, big deal. Find something else to be outraged about, something actually important. "How dare he? The disrespect!" The young man was upset, exhausted. Everybody deals with it differently.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Your question is a Red Herring - I'm not playing your game.

The Conn Smyth has established criteria - that criteria doesn't fit your narrative and you are attempting to draw attention to something that you think does.

I think Connor McDavid had an amazing finals - and a historic playoff's. Well deserved Conn Smyth.
Discussing his play in the SCF is a red herring in the context of winning the Smythe? You're just making stuff up now.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if his name was anything other than McDavid you wouldn't be saying one point in over half the series is "amazing" under most circumstances.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

No points in a SCF loss is not playing well no matter how much you say otherwise.

Man - Barkov didn't put up any points in the final game either. Bro did not play well...neither did Tkachuck.

Discussing his play in the SCF is a red herring in the context of winning the Smythe? You're just making stuff up now.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if his name was anything other than McDavid you wouldn't be saying one point in over half the series is "amazing" under most circumstances.

Forget McDavid - lets apply your arguments to the Panthers roster. Did any of them put up more than 11 points over the entire finals? How many of them had zero points over multiple games?

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Arguments like this are always silly to me. "His entire job is to produce" - according to who? Kris Knoblauch is that you?

Oh, I see. The best offensive player in the game should be focusing on other aspects of the sport. Makes perfect sense.
What's more hilarious is that if I were to point out Barkov's lack of production - the argument amazingly shifts again. "His job is to shut down other peoples top lines, not produce".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Barkov is a Selke winner and widely considered the best defensive center in the game. He also went 22 for 24 in points for the entirety of the playoffs. So he scored at almost a point per game while shutting down McDavid for half the series. He did his job perfectly.

Man - Barkov didn't put up any points in the final game either. Bro did not play well...neither did Tkachuck.
Tkachuk has nothing to do with this conversation.
Forget McDavid - lets apply your arguments to the Panthers roster. Did any of them put up more than 11 points over the entire finals? How many of them had zero points over multiple games?
What does the Panthers roster have to do with McDavid and the Conn Smythe?

You're badly grasping at straws now, just throwing shit at the walls.

Different players have different strengths, if you expected Barkov and McDavid to play the same game then I don't know what to tell you.

McDavid scores in bunches and Barkov plays a more well rounded, defensive game. No one is disputing any of this.

Last edited:

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Oh, I see. The best offensive player in the game should be focusing on other aspects of the sport. Makes perfect sense.

Have you ever played hockey? Quite a bit more to the game than offense. Especially as the Captain and leader of your team.

Barkov is a Selke winner and widely considered the best defensive center in the game. He also went 22 for 24 in points for the entirety of the playoffs. So he scored at almost a point per game while shutting down McDavid for half the series. He did his job perfectly.

Like I said - the argument shifts to Barkov having a different job. I get it - he isn't as skilled as McDavid so your expectations of him have to change and be tempered. All of a sudden playing defense as the Captain of your team becomes the focus.
Tkachuk has nothing to do with this conversation.

What does the Panthers roster have to do with McDavid and the Conn Smythe?

You're badly grasping at straws now just throwing shit at the walls.

You made this about points - not scoring points is not playing well is the argument you made...not me. So Tkachuk not scoring points seems pretty relevant when discussing his play.

The Panthers roster is only relevant because of your complete inconsistency in applying your arguments. Your arguments are shit - so I understand why you would resist applying them consistently.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
Giving CS to McDavid makes Sid's Smythe the worst ever officially.
McDavid has 23.8% more points than 2nd.
Sid had 36.7% less points than 1st and got the CS.
As a Pens fan, I can honestly say that Kessel should have won the Smythe in 2016, and Sid in 2017.

The 2016 CS was kinda given to Sid as a "lifetime achievement award" of sorts.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Do people realize that they vote for the CST before the game is over? Are you really going to vote for someone other than McDavid when the game is seriously in doubt and the Oilers could still win it and McDavid had put up historical numbers in the playoffs overall and the finals? If McDavid scores at the end to tie it when he had the chance and the Oilers win it in OT, how dumb are the people who voted for Bob going to look? McDavid was the obvious choice.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
As a Pens fan, I can honestly say that Kessel should have won the Smythe in 2016, and Sid in 2017.

The 2016 CS was kinda given to Sid as a "lifetime achievement award" of sorts.
I disagree. Kessel was awesome but he befitted from playing on the 3rd line and getting favorable matchups. Sid was the heart and soul of that team.

Reactions: sanscosm

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Have you ever played hockey? Quite a bit more to the game than offense. Especially as the Captain and leader of your team.
More excuses for the best offensive player in the game.
Like I said - the argument shifts to Barkov having a different job. I get it - he isn't as skilled as McDavid so your expectations of him have to change and be tempered. All of a sudden playing defense as the Captain of your team becomes the focus.
Because that's Barkov's strength. Not McDavid's.
You made this about points - not scoring points is not playing well is the argument you made...not me. So Tkachuk not scoring points seems pretty relevant when discussing his play.
You'd have a great point if I had been advocating for Tkachuk to win the Smythe, I haven't posted anything of the such. You're way off topic again.
The Panthers roster is only relevant because of your complete inconsistency in applying your arguments. Your arguments are shit - so I understand why you would resist applying them consistently.
McDavid is paid to produce points. He didn't in more than half the series. This is incredibly easy.

I have one additional easy question for you: Is McDavid paid to be an offensive dynamo or is it for other aspects of the game?

Last edited:

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Actually, he did have points in 4 of the 7 games, which is more than half.

I already broke this down, but I'll repost:

Game one: zero points
Game two: one point
Game three: two points
Game four: four points
Game five: four points
Game six: zero points
Game seven: zero points

Four out of the seven games in the Finals McDavid managed a single, measly point.
In game two he had a single assist in a 4-1 loss.

10 out of his 11 points came in three games. One out of the 11 came in four others.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

The game was 2-1. It’s going to haunt McDavid that he didn’t produce in the biggest game he’s ever played.

Reactions: Daishi

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
More excuses for the best offensive player in the game.

So you haven't played hockey and are just some casual that can navigate NHL.com and listen to some talking heads to form opinions. Neat.

Because that's Barkov's strength. Not McDavid's.

Barkov's strength is having lower expectations that McDavid? Got it.

You'd have a great point if I had been advocating for Tkachuk to win the Smythe, I haven't posted anything of the such. You're way off topic again.

You argued that not scoring points is not playing well - and this is somehow an argument against McDavid winning the CST. If that was the case the majority of the rosters from both teams did not play well night in and night out. I am simply trying to understand your logic here....but there isn't a lot of it so its tough to follow.

McDavid is paid to produce points. He didn't in more than half the series. This is incredibly easy.

Is he now? Are you cutting his checks and therefore setting the expected metrics for him to achieve?

I have one additional easy question for you: Is McDavid paid to be an offensive dynamo or is it for other aspects of the game?

I would say McDavid is paid to be the best player in the game - there is a lot more to that than offense.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
8pts combined in Games 4 and 5. 0pts combined in Games 6 and 7. He should have saved some points for when it mattered the most. Panthers shut him down when they needed to. They gave him zero time or space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad