Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
My opinion - these mvp type awards in championships generally get awarded to the big name stars. This seems to be in hockey, football and basketball. In many cases it is deserved but a lesser known player with a phenomenal championship run tends to be overshadowed by the big name recognized superstar who typically has some visible leadership role on the team.

There is also league bias in my opinion, even if it is to a lesser degree. They want their big name stars in the spotlight as it is good for the league.

So if the Oilers win, I can guarantee it will go to McDavid. He is leading the playoff points so there is objective basis. But he is really one of the prominent faces of the league, if not the biggest one.

Reactions: wetcoast and Duke74

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think it's McDavid right now if we are talking about the Oilers. Draisaitl and Bouchard are playing great but so much of that flows from either playing with McDavid 5 on 5 or on the powerplay. McDavid's line dominates almost every shift, it's hard not to have success playing a lot with him, especially 5 on 5. McDavid gets so much attention when he is on the ice, his passing is just opening things up for everyone else on the ice with him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Mario should be ranked no higher than 3rd. 4th for me, but there is no logic that can sway me from Gretzky as #1 and Orr as #2.

If (big if) the Oilers win game 6, they won't play again for nearly a week, which I think would be big for both McDavid and Draisaitl, who are playing through stuff these playoffs.
Everyone plays through stuff in the playoffs. You're right, that week off can only do good things for the players.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
If the Oilers make the finals, McDavid wins the Conn Smythe whether his team wins or loses them.

Which is dumb, but it is what it is.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Still Draisaitl by a mile imo

Outside of his offensive numbers which everyone expected anyway, his defensive play has been amazing

McDavid probably wins though

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Still Draisaitl by a mile imo

Outside of his offensive numbers which everyone expected anyway, his defensive play has been amazing

McDavid probably wins though

Hard to choose between McDavid & Draisaitl, both have been incredible for the Oilers.

Wonder what streets Edmonton’s going to name after them.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If the Oilers make it it’s gonna be McDavid. Even if they get swept

Lol. Draisaitl’s arguably been better and Bouchard’s playing great. Oilers are winning as a team and McDavid definitely isn’t single handedly carrying them. Sometimes it feels like the other stars on their team don’t get enough credit.

1A. Draisaitl
1B. McDavid
1C. Bouchard

2A. Hyman
2B. RNH
2C. Ekholm

Last edited:

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Lol. Draisaitl’s arguably been better and Bouchard’s playing great. Oilers are winning as a team and McDavid definitely isn’t single handedly carrying them. Sometimes it feels like the other stars on their team don’t get enough credit and this is coming from a Canucks fan.

1A. Draisaitl
1B. McDavid
1C. Bouchard

2A. Hyman
2B. RNH
2C. Ekholm
It’s no disrespect to their other top players to say I think McDavid would most likely win it for their team. I just think he contributes the most to the teams offense and speed. Which are their biggest strengths.

Reactions: ORRFForever

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Mario should be ranked no higher than 3rd. 4th for me, but there is no logic that can sway me from Gretzky as #1 and Orr as #2.

Everyone plays through stuff in the playoffs. You're right, that week off can only do good things for the players.
Who you got at #3? Howe?

Definitely with you on #1/2.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

Meanwhile Evan Bouchard keeps being the elephant in the room that requires more and more exertion from a large contingent of posters to go out of their way to not talk about.
Means advance stats are for fools. The king of the 2nd assist, who benefits from passing to McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins or Hyman.
Gets lots of points but can't even be in the same breath as McDavid or Draisaitl for overall impact on every game.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Means advance stats are for fools. The king of the 2nd assist, who benefits from passing to McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins or Hyman.
Gets lots of points but can't even be in the same breath as McDavid or Draisaitl for overall impact on every game.
Slams stats. Brings up stats.

You know all D-men primarily get 2nd assists, right?

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Bouchard is a recipient of playing with 2 of the best players in the world. Sorry, but it's true.
Then why is he the only D-man putting up historic numbers on the team in the McDrai era?

I'm sure you're one of those people who used to say Draisaitl was a product of McDavid until you were blue in the face.

Someone shows evidence that doesn't align with your preconceptions and you can't concede a point.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Then why is he the only D-man putting up historic numbers on the team in the McDrai era?

I'm sure you're one of those people who used to say Draisaitl was a product of McDavid until you were blue in the face.

Someone shows evidence that doesn't align with your preconceptions and you can't concede a point.
Draisaitl is a great player all on his own. That's why he won a Hart.

Bouchard has offensive skill, yes. Defensively he's been average, but is improving. Barrie put up lots of points on that PP too. None of that means he should win the Conn Smythe.

Is Bouchard your cousin or something? Nobody is realistically thinking Bouchard deserves the Conn Smythe right now over McDrai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad