Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Draisaitl is a great player all on his own. That's why he won a Hart.

Bouchard has offensive skill, yes. Defensively he's been average, but is improving. Barrie put up lots of points on that PP too. None of that means he should win the Conn Smythe.

Is Bouchard your cousin or something? Nobody is realistically thinking Bouchard deserves the Conn Smythe right now over McDrai.
You're equating Barrie's contributions with what Bouchard has been doing for the past year?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Outside of his offensive numbers which everyone expected anyway, his defensive play has been amazing

I checked the numbers because that hadn't really caught my attention, but admittedly I haven't watched as much of the west because of time diff, but I did watch maybe 10 periods worth of EDM-VAN in total - at this point he ranks 65th for CA/60, 100th for GA/60 and 80th for xGA/60 - out of 108 players who have a minimum of 150min TOI 5v5 these playoffs... That makes me a bit curious what makes his defensive play amazing, whatever he's doing doesn't seem to translate into the stat sheet (not that they tell everything).

EDIT: one thing I did notice is at least vs VAN he seemed to take more D-zone draws than I expected

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
When people say this type of stuff it proves one of two things.

1. They haven't been watching Bouchard play all year.

2. They know absolutely nothing when it comes to judging on ice talent.
Watched every game my friend. Suffered through every defensive gaffe and brain fart from Bouchard.
He is playing much better and his defensive game has vastly improved from during the year. He has very good offensive skill, No denying that.
Still doesn't make him Conn Smythe worthy.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
When people say this type of stuff it proves one of two things.

1. They haven't been watching Bouchard play all year.

2. They know absolutely nothing when it comes to judging on ice talent.
Why are we acting like every single Bouchard assist is going back to retrieve a dump and change behind the net, handing it off to McDavid who goes coast to coast?

It just isn’t true. The shot selection, that sweet little fake shot, the little short passes, his arsenal has just grown immensely.

He’s not just the guy that can outlet pass and bomb from the point anymore. He’s a facilitator in the offensive zone in every sense of the word.

Eliminating the missed assignments this playoffs in just the cherry on top. No big crippling gaffes.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Oiler fans are the best.

We have the best player in the world, he makes everyone around him better.

How dare you suggest that this guy that plays almost exclusively with McDavid is benefiting from playing with him

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Watched every game my friend. Suffered through every defensive gaffe and brain fart from Bouchard.
He is playing much better and his defensive game has vastly improved from during the year. He has very good offensive skill, No denying that.
Sounds good, we'll go with option 2.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Oiler fans are the best.

How dare you suggest that this guy that plays almost exclusively with McDavid is benefiting from playing with him
HF is the best.

Since the Oilers have the best player in the world, it's not possible that they can have other elite players on that team.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Oiler fans are the best.

I mean both of those things can be true so why are you being smug?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Conn Smythe Winner Cale Makar plays with elite talent too and somehow managed to win it

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Conn Smythe Winner Cale Makar plays with elite talent too and somehow managed to win it
Victor Hedman too.

But they had a somewhat better 1st-to-2nd assist ratio (this is the ONLY stat that matters but it's REALLY DAMN IMPORTANT) so clearly they were vastly superior players that didn't need good teammates around them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Agree with all of this except for the last line.

He is having a Smythe worthy playoffs but the case for McDavid and Draisaitl is just a bit better.

Some else brought up a good analogy in another thread about $499 being a considerable sum but $ 500 is always greater and that's the situation with Bouchard here.

Reactions: Macheteops

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Wouldn't we need to wait to get to the finals then play them to factor in "Conn Smythe Worthy"

So far from each team, I think Hyman, Johnston, Igor and Reinhart are near the top of the board. Lots of hockey to be played no?

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Means advance stats are for fools. The king of the 2nd assist, who benefits from passing to McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins or Hyman.
Gets lots of points but can't even be in the same breath as McDavid or Draisaitl for overall impact on every game.

Bad take. Bouchard has been amazing. Just as impactful as McDavid and Drai this run. And this is coming from someone who would of been okay with trading him at the start of the year

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
He said skater, though.

Apparently the honour belongs to Reggie Leach of the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers.

Interesting thanks . I usually figure I know hockey history pretty well but had never heard that

Alexandre Achutti

Oct 6, 2019
He isn't 100% which is even more impressive. Its been a season of injury for him

If he is indeed injured, it is really impressive what he has been able to do.
But he has been the same all season, and I think it is unlikely that he will be like this for this long.
But, as I always say, I am not an expert in ice hockey, I am just learning.
Anyway, I hope McDavid gets back to the top of his game soon, I think it is really cool to watch him play.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
So you admit you havent been watching the games then
Watched every game. Have seen that Bouchard is greatly aided by playing with 97 & 29. Only has 3 points where either of those 2 haven't either scored the goal or got an assist.
Once again, he's become a good player. Just not Conn Smythe worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad