Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I hate Torts but admit he's a strong coach. Unlikely to fit the current caps however.

I can imagine the Gormley post-game interviews with Torts. Seriously though, I cannot imagine him meshing well with the Caps. Personally, I would not object. Him and Lavi have cup rings so one would think they are serious considerations. If the Sharks relieve their coach, I am interested. Those three coaches have successful NHL coaching experience. I wouldn't rule out Trotz either. Just say no to rookie coaches.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ex-NHL head coaches (at least multiple seasons of experience) that are or could potentially be available:

Peter Laviolette
Barry Trotz
John Tortorella
Andy Murray
John Stevens
Marc Crawford
Kevin Dineen
Mike Keenan
Guy Boucher
Glen Gulutzen
Guy Cabonneau
Mike Kitchen
Scott Arniel
Ron Wilson
Jacques Martin
John Anderson
Scott Gordon
Tom Renney
Brent Sutter

Any I missed?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ex-NHL head coaches (at least multiple seasons of experience) that are or could potentially be available:

Peter Laviolette
Barry Trotz
John Tortorella
Andy Murray
John Stevens
Marc Crawford
Kevin Dineen
Mike Keenan
Guy Boucher
Glen Gulutzen
Guy Cabonneau
Mike Kitchen
Scott Arniel
Ron Wilson
Jacques Martin
John Anderson
Scott Gordon
Tom Renney
Brent Sutter

Any I missed?

Glen Hanlon. :sarcasm:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0&list=RDGTJ90Jo37sE&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVfO6lY9ngM&feature=share&list=RDGTJ90Jo37sE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pllhGJieSxc&list=RDGTJ90Jo37sE&feature=share

Sorry I could not the video's to play in the post. Please feel free to edit it if you can make it work.

The more of Laviolette I see the more I think he is what the team needs. The team used to feed off of OV blowing people up. Maybe Laviolette can bring that out of them.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0&list=RDGTJ90Jo37sE&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVfO6lY9ngM&feature=share&list=RDGTJ90Jo37sE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pllhGJieSxc&list=RDGTJ90Jo37sE&feature=share

Sorry I could not the video's to play in the post. Please feel free to edit it if you can make it work.

The more of Laviolette I see the more I think he is what the team needs. The team used to feed off of OV blowing people up. Maybe Laviolette can bring that out of them.

Here ya go...

Yeah I agree we need a coach that talks to our players like that, Ive said it a hundred times, no more charmin soft ********. no more luxury, no more country club atmosphere, you must earn it.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
Here ya go...

Yeah I agree we need a coach that talks to our players like that, Ive said it a hundred times, no more charmin soft ********. no more luxury, no more country club atmosphere, you must earn it.

Laviolette videos

Exactly, that's why I really want Lavi to be the HC. I'm worried we might not get him if we play the waiting game though because he has to be the first name or close to it on a lot of team's HC lists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liberati0n*

I find the Leonsis quote from DCSportsBog's feed about getting a GM first and having them assist in the coach search reassuring.

Did he actually use a word like "assist"?

That's actually worse. If they want the new GM to be part of the search, rather than be the one responsible, we can't know they won't just make the ultimate choice themselves again. If they do that with no GM in place because they don't want to miss out on a good coach, that's one thing, but if they have a GM in place and still don't understand they shouldn't be meddling everything is pretty much doomed.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Anyone considering Keenan. I know hes failed everywhere but NY and the KHL but same mannerisms as Lavi right?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You missed Terry Murray

edit: Lavy video. He yells and curses. I remember a time when the Caps had a coach that yelled and threw f bombs and fans thought he was a joke

Last edited:

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Anyone considering Keenan. I know hes failed everywhere but NY and the KHL but same mannerisms as Lavi right?

only those without a shred of common sense.

there's a reason he hasnt been involved with an nhl team for the past 5 years.....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did he actually use a word like "assist"?

That's actually worse. If they want the new GM to be part of the search, rather than be the one responsible, we can't know they won't just make the ultimate choice themselves again. If they do that with no GM in place because they don't want to miss out on a good coach, that's one thing, but if they have a GM in place and still don't understand they shouldn't be meddling everything is pretty much doomed.

yea, this is way better than being able to blame McPhee for everything.

Liberati0n*

You missed Terry Murray

edit: Lavy video. He yells and curses. I remember a time when the Caps had a coach that yelled and threw f bombs and fans thought he was a joke

You really don't see the difference? Laviolette is actually scary. He commands respect when he yells. Boudreau may hold players' respect in general, but the way he yelled and screamed certainly didn't help him do so. If you've watched both of them, you know how completely different they are.

Liberati0n*

and tortarella's yelling is different yet and dale hunter's lack of any words another level yet.

Right. So instead of calling them all the same you take all of it into consideration.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I will throw a few "random" hats into the ring

Scott Stevens
Doug Jarvis
Fedorov
Bengt

Now that we know Patrick is in play deciding coaches, is he truly ready to change course after 30 years?

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
I think the Torterella experiment in Vancouver kind of shows the risk with of putting in a hardcore no nonsense coach with a skill team. I know its a vague prerequisite but they need to find the guy who is going to get the most out of our core guys and bringing in a my way or the highway coach is likely going to result in nothing short of a disaster with plenty of material for the press.

You don't need the country club, best friend type coach but going for the complete opposite of the buddy buddy coach doesn't really sound like a plan for success. You can't nor should you turnover the entire roster. Maybe if you were starting from scratch with a bunch of Tom Wilsons you could go the no-nonsense route but I think its simply an hair trigger reaction to want that for this team.

It reminds me of the type of guys who are told they're to nice when trying to date and then they decide, 'okay I'm going to turn into a complete A-Hole.'

Most likely a guy with a demeanor similar to that of Bylsma will have the best chance of getting the team to fulfill its potential.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bylsma sure seems to fall under that nice guy category. Same with John Stevens when a head guy. Too soft.

Lavy, Trotz...and the rest.

Sounds like McLellan's fate (and perhaps Wilson's) will be decided by ownership. Wilson went to bat for their coaching staff but we'll see if that's enough.

SpeedGame

Apr 17, 2014

Looking at the revised way he treats his players and philosophy on how to play the game. I'd definitely take a hard look are Keenan. If he can get the Caps to play as well as Metallurg played, the improvement would be extreme.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like we need a disciplinarian to start but then you know, him adjust when the players buy in and start giving a respectable effort. Not be such a hardass, and make the game fun again.

Which likely means 2 coaches, since they all seem so stubborn or unable to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad