2024 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
This was why I was so keen on replacing Jarmo as swiftly as possible last Fall. I wanted fresh eyes on the team last year. Now we have to wait so many months for Wads and Evason to fully form their own opinions. Was it worth it to wait until a guy like Wads was available this summer? I personally think of him as the most generic old hockey man possible, so for me it's a no. But I don't really know who else was available or how they stack up in every way.
Without bringing up the past too much, Babcock definitely should have spelled the end for Jarmo here. But as far as I’m aware, I believe JD is who pushed for that more than jarmo did. Either way, both JD and jarmo should have been shown the door along with Babcock. Just don’t think the organization wanted that much chaos on top of all the chaos Babcock started.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
You were pretty bullish in your comments about Fimis so I'm curious what you think happened? Kid had a great Prospects camp, gets the invite to Main camp, scores in the inter-squad game and then gets cut immediately afterwards. I think I read that someone referred to his goal as a garbage goal, but a goal is a goal and you’ve gotta be in the right spot to score so credit to him. Are you surprised they didn’t give him a preseason game?
Tomas Holmstrom made a career out of that type of goal

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
This was why I was so keen on replacing Jarmo as swiftly as possible last Fall. I wanted fresh eyes on the team last year. Now we have to wait so many months for Wads and Evason to fully form their own opinions. Was it worth it to wait until a guy like Wads was available this summer? I personally think of him as the most generic old hockey man possible, so for me it's a no. But I don't really know who else was available or how they stack up in every way.
But JD needed back surgery :help:

Reactions: koteka

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Elick has some great tools but was definitely getting bullied a bit in that preseason game yesterday in the corners and at the net front.

He'll be great with some seasoning.

Reactions: CBJx614

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Great indication of how Evason wants to play. Size on every line, someone who will win battles on the wall on every line, sniper (as appropriate) on every line, play maker on every line. That's a good setup.

Who are the playmakers on each line?

I like the heaviness and I can see those top two lines playing heavy cycle hockey, but not really playmaking or passing very well.

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Who are the playmakers on each line?

I like the heaviness and I can see those top two lines playing heavy cycle hockey, but not really playmaking or passing very well.

Remembering that "play maker" is relative to the Jackets ...

Monahan, Fantilli, Johnson & Sillinger all have the ability to put up 30 assists. We only had ONE (1) forward to do that last year, next closest were Silly & Marchenko @ 19.

KJ put up 24 as a rookie, Fantilli 15 in his shortened season.

Monahan was consistently in the 30s until injuries sidetracked him ... then he regained that form last year.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Remembering that "play maker" is relative to the Jackets ...

Monahan, Fantilli, Johnson & Sillinger all have the ability to put up 30 assists. We only had ONE (1) forward to do that last year, next closest were Silly & Marchenko @ 19.

KJ put up 24 as a rookie, Fantilli 15 in his shortened season.

Monahan was consistently in the 30s until injuries sidetracked him ... then he regained that form last year.
Only Johnson is a playmaker if we mean a style of play.

• Haha
Reactions: puckgoalnet

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Met Don Waddell today at the launching of the new club level at Nationwide Arena.

Talked to him for a few 1 on 1 and he believes some of the young guys will pop this year and defense will be much better but he did say we need good goaltending (seemed more of statement than confidence). He went on to say he has watched the guys and sees it and has confidence in the pipeline.

But what else would he say at a STH event. I hope he is right, but we shall see.

This made me think later that maybe he takes a swing at Swayman if he becomes available??? According to Spittin Chicklets podcast he is asking for 8.4 x 8. That would put Boston with only $200k within the CAP. So no room to move.

IMG_8358.png

Last edited:

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
I have been thinking about our forward lines a lot, and I would much rather see our set-up look like this:

Johnson-Monahan-Marchenko

Monahan playes best with a playmaker on his wing and I want to see Johnson there. KJ has previous chemistry with Marchenko too. #86 is the engine of this line while Monahan is a solid center and a veteran presence.

Jenner-Fantilli-X/Brindley

Fantilli gets the captain on his wing. Fantilli can be a bit more aggressive on faceoffs because Jenner is there to back him up. Also Jenner can take D-zone faceoffs if needed? If Waddell can find us a winger in this line, awesome - but if not, I would like to see Brindley there atleast for the start of the season and reunite Michigan linemates #19 and #45.

Voronkov-C.Sillinger-Chinakhov

This line worked fine last year and it should be quite good third line in the NHL. There is a bit of everything there with size, speed and grit.

JvR - Kuraly - Danforth/Gambrell

JvR played great with Boston last year when he was sheltered with 4th line minutes and some PP time. We should try to do the same if possible.

+ Olivier (13th forward)

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Having fun with the forward lines. Personally, I'd like to see Voronkov at centre and Sillinger on the wing. As for Jenner/Fantilli, I'm more agnostic.

K. Johnson - Monahan - Chinakhov
Jenner - Fantilli - Marchenko
C. Sillinger - Voronkov - Brindley
van Riemsdyk - Kuraly - Danforth
Olivier

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Having fun with the forward lines. Personally, I'd like to see Voronkov at centre and Sillinger on the wing. As for Jenner/Fantilli, I'm more agnostic.

Olivier
That top 6 is what I'd like to see. Personally I see no reason not to have Olivier in the lineup

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Olivier

That top 6 is what I'd like to see. Personally I see no reason not to have Olivier in the lineup
Agreed with the top six except that top line is gonna be subject to having the ice tilted against it by a physically stronger group. It's an awesome home ice group though. But it's the top line I keep circling back to.

Yeah I think Olivier is in and the only way we see Brindley is as the early season hedge against Danforth's injury sitch. That slot could just as easily by Gambrell. Or another player that's added throughout camp, which we know D-Wad has said he wants to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad