Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Oates was not tough. Oates was a con artist who refused to get in anyone's ass and tried to put a positive spin on everything while looking professional. Film study and talk, then forget it. That's tough? ********.

I think a soft coach would be a little less stubborn on some of the things. The fact that he tried to be a no-conflict guy (Ovi, Halak, Erat, Orlov, Penner, Neuvirth all say hi), doesn't mean he wasn't tough as in stubborn.

Also, I don't get the fascination with toughness. If toughness was always so good, all NHL coaches would be tough.

Don't fprget you work with people here, who have feelings, emotions and who can request trade or just not re-sign.

That's where toughness may lead you.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
bowmans success spans from the 60s to the 2000s, so... terrible comparison.

Which illustrates the point that being an older coach is irrelevant by itself. Dismissing Keenan simply because his greatest success was 20 years ago vs Bowman's ending 12 years ago...terrible logic.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So your feeling is that Keenan only coached 2 NHL seasons out of the last 10 by choice? That he chose the KHL over the NHL this year? Seriously? And I need to find you 'proof' that he has been putting his name in the ring for NHL jobs over these last 10 years to convince you? Supposedly he interviewed for the Caps job but I'm sure that job had really special meaning to him to coax him off the golf course...

My pick? Al Arbour. He won 4 cups in a row and last coached an NHL game in '08, which is just 1 year earlier than Keenan coached his last NHL game... :sarcasm:

No I'm not going to make things up so don't make them up for me. I'm stating the facts which do not include vagueries and assumptions about being a dinosaur or claiming Keenan is 20 years past his prime and incapable of coaching in the NHL.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think a soft coach would be a little less stubborn on some of the things. The fact that he tried to be a no-conflict guy (Ovi, Halak, Erat, Orlov, Penner, Neuvirth all say hi), doesn't mean he wasn't tough as in stubborn.

Also, I don't get the fascination with toughness. If toughness was always so good, all NHL coaches would be tough.

Don't fprget you work with people here, who have feelings, emotions and who can request trade or just not re-sign.

That's where toughness may lead you.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=84544989&postcount=229

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Which illustrates the point that being an older coach is irrelevant by itself. Dismissing Keenan simply because his greatest success was 20 years ago vs Bowman's ending 12 years ago...terrible logic.

im saying bowman has won in many different eras/styles of the game, while keenan hasnt. either way i kind of agree that keenan could be a good coach but i still want lavi who has had more success in the post-lockout era.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Keenan would be a BRUTAL mistake.

This guy is certifiably insane and has not adapted with the times in the least bit.

He will instantly clash with half the locker room and the GM.

The more I read about him the more I feel that he is just a pathetic human being who is a huge Bowman wannabe.

He took Florida nowhwere (Luongo fiasco). He did nothing for Calgary. His stint with the Bruins was uninspired. He DESTROYED the Canucks and did a middling job with the Blues while burning every bridge he could possibly burn.

Back in the day...when players had limited choice (smaller contracts, rare free agency, etc) he could lay down the iron fist and arbitrarily berate players to scare them into playing better. They had no choice but to listen.

With the salary cap, younger free agency, younger players, more free flowing game where clutching and grabbing is not there this guy would be HORRIBLE.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Keenan would be a BRUTAL mistake.

This guy is certifiably insane and has not adapted with the times in the least bit.

He will instantly clash with half the locker room and the GM.

The more I read about him the more I feel that he is just a pathetic human being who is a huge Bowman wannabe.

He took Florida nowhwere (Luongo fiasco). He did nothing for Calgary. His stint with the Bruins was uninspired. He DESTROYED the Canucks and did a middling job with the Blues while burning every bridge he could possibly burn.

Back in the day...when players had limited choice (smaller contracts, rare free agency, etc) he could lay down the iron fist and arbitrarily berate players to scare them into playing better. They had no choice but to listen.

With the salary cap, younger free agency, younger players, more free flowing game where clutching and grabbing is not there this guy would be HORRIBLE.

Is anyone living in the 21st century? Almost all of this is old news. By all accounts he was too soft in Calgary. And The Canucks were already down from their early 90s peak when he was brought in.

I'm not saying hire the guy, I'm just asking where is the evidence that "Iron Mike" is still the same guy and that his coaching strategies/methods (which just won a championship in Russia) won't work in the NHL?

Anyone have a real, factual answer other than "he's probably still a jerk like he was 20 years ago"??

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Is anyone living in the 21st century? Almost all of this is old news. By all accounts he was too soft in Calgary. And The Canucks were already down from their early 90s peak when he was brought in.

I'm not saying hire the guy, I'm just asking where is the evidence that "Iron Mike" is still the same guy and that his coaching strategies/methods (which just won a championship in Russia) won't work in the NHL?

Anyone have a real, factual answer other than "he's probably still a jerk like he was 20 years ago"??

One telling comment was made by Keenan not so long ago...he basically said players in the KHL listened to authority better. Something along that lines. Keenan likes to throw his weight around and be a dictator.

His style of game revolves around hitting, grinding, dumping and chasing and throwing creativity out the window.

If you MUST have Keenan then you will probably say goodbye to Backstrom, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Green.

Read comments by Markus Naslund, Pavel Bure, Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull and tons of other players who didn't like him as a coach, didn't have success with him as a coach and HATED him as a human being.

Keenan is a big toolbox. There is ZERO evidence he has changed as a person or a coach.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
One telling comment was made by Keenan not so long ago...he basically said players in the KHL listened to authority better. Something along that lines. Keenan likes to throw his weight around and be a dictator.

His style of game revolves around hitting, grinding, dumping and chasing and throwing creativity out the window.

If you MUST have Keenan then you will probably say goodbye to Backstrom, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Green.

Read comments by Markus Naslund, Pavel Bure, Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull and tons of other players who didn't like him as a coach, didn't have success with him as a coach and HATED him as a human being.

Keenan is a big toolbox. There is ZERO evidence he has changed as a person or a coach.

There is one un-sourced thing in your entire response that even comes close to addressing what I said. And you can google several quotes about him getting too soft in Calgary for your evidence, as well as the link I provided about players hoisting him in the air and the celebration in Russia.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
There is one un-sourced thing in your entire response that even comes close to addressing what I said. And you can google several quotes about him getting too soft in Calgary for your evidence, as well as the link I provided about players hoisting him in the air and the celebration in Russia.

Mike Keenan has coached in 11 seasons since his departure from the Rangers. He has 1 playoff series victory in that span. 7 times his teams have missed the playoffs. He was fired/resigned in 3 of those 7 years at some point.

Wait...you are telling me that I have un-sourced comments yet you provide un-sourced comments on your own telling me to do a Google search? OK ..well you do a google search on this "Mike Keenan jerk". There will be a million hits from message boards, newspapers, player interviews that will go in depth about what kind of coach and person he was.\

You can do a search on HFboards too. There are several posts blasting Keenan with tons of links within them. Vancouver and St Louis fans seem none too happy with Iron Mike. I can't imagine Panthers fans have any love for him either.

I think its a well established fact that Keenan is a jerk and has long been an ineffective coach at the NHL level.

I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who would support bringing this guy along.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1145161&highlight=keenan
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1551365&highlight=keenan
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=432720&highlight=keenan

And remember...in 1987 was the coach for Team Canada who beat the Russians in that epic Canada Cup series.

Keenan put Doug Frikin Crossman on that team and left out Scott Stevens. Reason? Keenan was the coach of the Flyers and had no love for Stevens. He was also the coach of the Flyers and Crossman was on his team.

Crossman was simply not that good of a player but Keenan used his position to play mind games with Stevens. (LINKAGE):

Stevens certainly had the incentive to stick it to the Flyers, because it was Flyers coach Mike Keenan who made Stevens one of the two final cuts (Dave Poulin was the other) from Team Canada in last summer's Canada Cup series.

And it was Keenan who passed over Stevens when he selected the Wales Conference all-star team in February.

After he was cut from the Canada Cup team, Stevens steamed and remarked that the only chance he would ever have to play in international competition would be if he became a U.S. citizen.

Stevens has since changed his stance. He will, he said, remain a Canadian citizen. Although he refuses to understand how Keenan decided on Doug Crossman instead for Team Canada, he has accepted it.

And if he is gloating now, he's keeping it to himself.

"Let's just say that beating the Flyers had special meaning for me," Stevens said.

Murray is familiar with the anger Stevens felt after being cut from Team Canada.

"I've talked to Scott about it fairly often," Murray said. "He was so disappointed and frustrated by it that it affected his play in October.

"But we discussed why it happened, and he came to recognize that Crossman was chosen because his coach was making the decisions.

"After all, Scott wants some recognition, and he deserves it. This has been his best season in every way. Since about the 10th game of the season, he's been strong all the way through. He's getting more minutes than Rod Langway did when Langway won two Norris Trophies with us."

http://articles.philly.com/1988-04-20/sports/26253541_1_washington-coach-bryan-murray-dave-poulin-capital-centre

He is a petty man at best. Here is a tasty bit:

Grant Ledyard left the team to be with his wife, who was awaiting some distressing medical news (cancer). Keenan cleaned out Ledyard's stall and told the rest of the players that Ledyard had quit on them.

You want this guy as the coach???

Cassidy got lambasted and lost the locker room when he made a comment regarding Witt (who's wife was ill with something not as serious as Cancer)

You can't make this stuff up:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=de705615-ba83-4a99-b8ad-d71cdd7f560d&k=25155

Keenan has a history -- more history -- of feuding with his most influential players. In St. Louis, that was Brett Hull. Then came Linden. Then, last stop in Florida, Keenan berated Luongo on a team flight, waking several Panther players by loudly criticizing the goalie for refusing a long-term contract. Luongo, who last season confirmed the incident, characterized the confrontation as "just another nail in the coffin."

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kirk Muller fired. Certainly not a top tier candidate at this point after his lackluster years in Carolina, but I'd hire him ahead of a few of the names being dicussed (namely Keenan). Much more interested in him as an assistant, though.

Liberati0n*

Being a jerk is the only reason to hire him in the first place. You take the many downsides so you can have him come in and just flat-out abuse the players, if you hire him. The debate is over whether that's worthwhile or not (probably not, but I would really like to see the abuse anyway). If he's not that guy anymore, he's nothing, and he shouldn't even be mentioned.

Liberati0n*

Kirk Muller has to be the worst candidate there is though. The guy is so stupid.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kirk Muller has to be the worst candidate there is though. The guy is so stupid.

Don't confuse being articulate with being smart. Besides, how did have a smart and articulate coach just work out for us? :laugh:

Not saying Muller is my preferred candidate (he's absolutely not). There's a half dozen guys who I'd want before him. I would be interested in him as an assistant coach to work with the special teams, though. A lot of guys may be crummy head coaches, but get the job done as assistants (Muller, Oates, Granato, etc).

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City

Google "Keenan attempts to assault KHL referee". There's your answer.

Liberati0n*

Don't confuse being articulate with being smart. Besides, how did have a smart and articulate coach just work out for us? :laugh:

Not saying Muller is my preferred candidate (he's absolutely not). There's a half dozen guys who I'd want before him. I would be interested in him as an assistant coach to work with the special teams, though. A lot of guys may be crummy head coaches, but get the job done as assistants (Muller, Oates, Granato, etc).

Oates isn't really that articulate. Muller isn't just inarticulate; he talks really slowly and just seems like he barely knows where he is half the time. Obviously I don't know if he's actually stupid, but he's something.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
With all these coaches getting fired I hope Washington decides to hire a coach sooner rather than later. More open spots means the job hunt is going to be more competitive.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Ron Wilson is getting consideration for another NHL head coaching job. Experience is a big plus for some teams in the market for a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad