Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
Bylsma sure seems to fall under that nice guy category. Same with John Stevens when a head guy. Too soft.

Lavy, Trotz...and the rest.

Sounds like McLellan's fate (and perhaps Wilson's) will be decided by ownership. Wilson went to bat for their coaching staff but we'll see if that's enough.

Yeah, I recently rewatched a couple of 24/7 clips and you're right definitely 'nice guy' material. I still stand by having him as the ideal blueprint for this team. Still its starting to seem like nice guys are getting way too much of a bad rap.

After all Bylsma and Jullien won the Cup and even though its a different sport you have the recent Super Bowl champions being led by a guy so nice, ra-ra, and buddy buddy that its practically sickening in Pete Carroll and the Seahawks.

Bottom line is whats going to work with this team, and it just seems that hardliners will cause more problems then they'll solve.

Last edited:

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Laviolette would be perfect for the Caps. He love offense and attacking which is perfect for the Caps.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bottom line is whats going to work with this team, and it just seems that hardliners will cause more problems then they'll solve.
Well, maybe. It's hard to say categorically. The important thing with a softy or a hard ass or someone in between is that they communicate and teach effectively and do it from a strong conceptual understanding of the game.

This team's fundamentals have been poor for so long that a coach that merely strengthens those areas of the game and raises their collective maturity levels would make a huge difference. There are a lot of ways in going about doing that so maybe a softer approach works. Maybe a softer approach just leads to them slacking and pushing the envelope in what they can get away with (getting back to the maturity questions).

Again, I would err at this point towards more of a disciplinarian but whoever it is will need to be able to use a multitude of tactics to push the right buttons. That's what good coaching is all about. Even if the core is altered a good bit, which is likely a bit of a reach in a single off-season, it has been clear that this team doesn't really police itself. Ovechkin is a problem in that regard but overall that's part of the culture change needed. It's hard to achieve that with an overly player's coach and I don't think that's something the players really deserve (or need).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well, maybe. It's hard to say categorically. The important thing with a softy or a hard ass or someone in between is that they communicate and teach effectively and do it from a strong conceptual understanding of the game.

This team's fundamentals have been poor for so long that a coach that merely strengthens those areas of the game and raises their collective maturity levels would make a huge difference. There are a lot of ways in going about doing that so maybe a softer approach works. Maybe a softer approach just leads to them slacking and pushing the envelope in what they can get away with (getting back to the maturity questions).

Again, I would err at this point towards more of a disciplinarian but whoever it is will need to be able to use a multitude of tactics to push the right buttons. That's what good coaching is all about. Even if the core is altered a good bit, which is likely a bit of a reach in a single off-season, it has been clear that this team doesn't really police itself. Ovechkin is a problem in that regard but overall that's part of the culture change needed. It's hard to achieve that with an overly player's coach and I don't think that's something the players really deserve (or need).

I would regard that "in between" as someone who knows when to use the carrot and when to use the stick.

It's not just discipline in a punishment sense, it's motivation to do the right things in the first place so punishment is rare and always fair.

It's not just being a player's coach in that you're nice to the players and hope they do their jobs, it's motivation through demonstrating you know a player better than he knows himself and will do what HE personally needs to do to achieve his full potential.

It's getting the most out of people. That's leadership.

Oates thought leadership was some ****** mish-mash of film study and conflicting messages about positivity psychology while looking "professional". Motivation was assumed.

What a horrible, backwards way to run a team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
oates seemed to think that self motivation was all that was necessary. in other words leadearship was not necessary. oates didn't need leaders in his career. which is why he was traded so often.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Anyone considering Keenan. I know hes failed everywhere but NY and the KHL but same mannerisms as Lavi right?

Keenan is like a more successful Lavi. He's not long for your team but you've got a good chance of winning a SCF in the 3 years before he's done.

3rd Year in PHI- SCF runner up
4th Year in CHI- SCF runner up
1st Year in NYR- Won SCF

In fact the guy coached 11 years with 4 different teams before he missed his first playoffs. Once he was fired from STL he had a string coaching VAN, BOS, and FLA all in the late 90's-early 2000's so I think not making the playoffs with those teams is excusable. He is a proven winner IMO, and now he has experience coaching Russians and Europeans.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sure 20 years ago...

Would you take Scotty Bowman as coach if his body would hold up? He retired from coaching 12 years ago. Keenan took the Flames to the playoffs in his last 2 years in the NHL, just 5 years ago.

Keenan coached some bad teams that wanted miracles. The only really good team he coached since his Cup with the Rags was STL and they dumped him not because of his ability but because of conflict with star players, iirc.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Keenan took the Flames to the playoffs in his last 2 years in the NHL, just 5 years ago.

Keenan coached some bad teams that wanted miracles. The only really good team he coached since his Cup with the Rags was STL and they dumped him not because of his ability but because of conflict with star players, iirc.

Keenan is a dinasour. The is a reason he has been out of the NHL since '09 and that it took him 4 years to even get that gig in Calgary.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Keenan is a dinasour. The is a reason he has been out of the NHL since '09 and that it took him 4 years to even get that gig in Calgary.

Do you have proof of any of this, or is this just the way you feel?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Would you take Scotty Bowman as coach if his body would hold up? He retired from coaching 12 years ago. Keenan took the Flames to the playoffs in his last 2 years in the NHL, just 5 years ago.

Isn't "not getting into conflicts with players" part of coach's ability?

Don't want that sideshow anywhere near my team tbh.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
It depends. But...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/m...sings-karaoke-after-gagarin-cup-championship/

Doesn't look like a guy with player issues these days, does it? He's also said he may even have been too soft in Calgary. Which for Keenan is probably still tougher than Oates but somewhere below Torts.
Oates was soft? He may not have been yelling but he's stubborn, and I think players would rather get yelled at than work with the know-it-all coach who doesn't listen to them.

Not yelling != soft, yelling != hard.

Russian players do like Keenan because 95% Russian coaches are like Keenan. Znarok, for example. Not gonna work in the NHL.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oates was soft? He may not have been yelling but he's stubborn, and I think players would rather get yelled at than work with the know-it-all coach who doesn't listen to them.

Not yelling != soft, yelling != hard.

Russian players do like Keenan because 95% Russian coaches are like Keenan. Znarok, for example. Not gonna work in the NHL.

Oates was not tough. Oates was a con artist who refused to get in anyone's ass and tried to put a positive spin on everything while looking professional. Film study and talk, then forget it. That's tough? ********.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Do you have proof of any of this, or is this just the way you feel?

Proof of what, that in the last 10 years a coach with his pedigree was only able to obtain 1 NHL job, and that for just 2 seasons, or that he is indeed a member of a long extinct species of giant reptiles that used to roam the earth? You tell me...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Russian players do like Keenan because 95% Russian coaches are like Keenan.

Yeah Keenan is very much from the Tikhonov school of coaching so it isn't surprising that would be able to find success like that in Russia.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Proof of what, that in the last 10 years a coach with his pedigree was only able to obtain 1 NHL job, and that for just 2 seasons, or that he is indeed a member of a long extinct species of giant reptiles that used to roam the earth? You tell me...

So, no. No proof. No factual analysis of his coaching strategies that make them out of date, no evidence that he was actively looking for an NHL coaching job and couldn't find one in the years he wasn't actually coaching, most of which he was working in the NHL media.

Just your feeling.

Who's your pick for coach? You never answered the previous question...would you take Scotty Bowman even though he's been out of coaching longer than Keenan?

SpeedGame

Apr 17, 2014
If Keenan brings high octane offense and solid, physical, defense, I'm good with him being a Tikhonov clone.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
So, no. No proof. No factual analysis of his coaching strategies that make them out of date, no evidence that he was actively looking for an NHL coaching job and couldn't find one in the years he wasn't actually coaching, most of which he was working in the NHL media.

Just your feeling.

Who's your pick for coach? You never answered the previous question...would you take Scotty Bowman even though he's been out of coaching longer than Keenan?

bowmans success spans from the 60s to the 2000s, so... terrible comparison.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Just your feeling.

So your feeling is that Keenan only coached 2 NHL seasons out of the last 10 by choice? That he chose the KHL over the NHL this year? Seriously? And I need to find you 'proof' that he has been putting his name in the ring for NHL jobs over these last 10 years to convince you? Supposedly he interviewed for the Caps job but I'm sure that job had really special meaning to him to coax him off the golf course...

My pick? Al Arbour. He won 4 cups in a row and last coached an NHL game in '08, which is just 1 year earlier than Keenan coached his last NHL game... :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad