Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
With all these coaches getting fired I hope Washington decides to hire a coach sooner rather than later. More open spots means the job hunt is going to be more competitive.

It's a catch 22 with the GM search, especially if they're interested in a GM candidate currently employed by a playoff team. Obviously everyone wants the GM to be involved with (or preferably lead) the search for a new coach. The risk of signing a coach with the same kind of dysfunctional relationship with the GM that Oates and McPhee had is a big risk, in my mand. I don't want Trotz if the new GM is going to try and build a run'n'gun team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I could see him in Nashville.
Or Florida, since he fits the profile of what they're looking for.

To recap current HC openings: CAR, FLA, NSH, VAN & WSH with SJS & TOR somewhat undecided.

I would think if ownership did do it backwards in hiring a coach first they would then do it backwards all the way down the line in looking for a GM that has an affinity towards that coach's vision. A highly unorthodox way of doing it and not something you do unless you're really enamored with said coach.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Mike Keenan is "in between" for you, then who is a too tough, too stubborn, too hard to deal with coach in your opinion?

When did I say that, or that I wanted Keenan? I think you need reading comprehension lessons :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am pretty convinced that the caps will take their time and hire a gm first. all the public comments swing that way, including those that sound like the gm is part of the group decision on who the coach will be.

if the gretzky thing is for real, then they are also working on that before the gm.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
I am pretty convinced that the caps will take their time and hire a gm first. all the public comments swing that way, including those that sound like the gm is part of the group decision on who the coach will be.

if the gretzky thing is for real, then they are also working on that before the gm.

Well ....if the rumors are true and we get Gretzky (who sucks) then:

He will hire Messier as GM most likely (who sucks) who in turn:

Will hire Mike Keenan (who sucks)

This will be the unholy trinity of suck. The 3 worst possible hires in each respective position that I can think of.

Is it too late to bring GMGM back?????

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Well ....if the rumors are true and we get Gretzky (who sucks) then:

He will hire Messier as GM most likely (who sucks) who in turn:

Will hire Mike Keenan (who sucks)

This will be the unholy trinity of suck. The 3 worst possible hires in each respective position that I can think of.

Is it too late to bring GMGM back?????
I'm not as knowledgeable about the rest of the league, but when have Gretzky and Messier demonstrated they suck in management positions?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1. I didn't say you want him.
2. Are you arguing for the sake of arguing then?

My post was edited by chibi because I was (lazily) responding to you and another poster at the same time. Chibi thought it was "personal crap" but removing the reference throws off what I was saying and gives the appearance of putting words in your mouth.

Another poster wasn't reading what I was writing and said I wanted Keenan, but both of you were making assumptions about what I was writing (I never said he was "in between", I linked to an earlier post I made about my concepts of toughness/softness which you'd asked about).

Not arguing just to argue. As I said, trying to deal with the facts. There is a lot of bias and assumption being passed off as fact and that doesn't sit well with me. I should probably just let people rage. It is the internet, after all.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
I'm not as knowledgeable about the rest of the league, but when have Gretzky and Messier demonstrated they suck in management positions?

Gretzky was both in a managerial and headcoaching role in Phoenix. I'm sure Coyotes fans can weigh in on the disaster that he was.

Messier more for his inexperience as a GM. But my PERSONAL opinion is this.....

Messier is a full fledged DIVA! Something happened to him after he went to NY. The way he handled himself in Vancouver and then lingering in his 2nd NY stint gives me insight into him.

Remember a couple years after Messier won a cup in NY Gretzky came aboard in NY as well. Gretzky stole some of his spotlight. I seem to recall the Rags made it to the ECF with both of them and the next year Messier left for Vancouver. I suspect some of that had to do with getting glory and control (bringing in Keenan and tearing apart the fabric of the Canucks)

I want nothing to do with either of these guys. Just ask Canucks fans about what they (and their announcers, and Canucks players at the time like Odjick) thought about DA LEADER.

Gretzky and Messier are headcases. Together they are Headcase x 3. It is not a linear SUCK at all. They will built on each others suck

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Wanted Lavs i wonder how long we can wait with good coaches being signed.

On Messier i heard him being interviewed recently, he sounded like he took to many hits to the head and had a screw loose. Zero chance i want him calling the shots when can barley from a coherent sentence.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
No I'm not going to make things up so don't make them up for me. I'm stating the facts which do not include vagueries and assumptions about being a dinosaur or claiming Keenan is 20 years past his prime and incapable of coaching in the NHL.

The fact is that Keenan has only coached in the NHL 2 out the last 10 seasons. IMO if he was as highly thought of as he was 20 years ago that wouldn't have happened. He clearly wants to continue coaching or he wouldn't have gone to Russia.

There are lots of NHL jobs opening up. It will be interesting to see if Tyrannosaurus Mike lands one of them and if so how he does.

ryan519*

well we just lost lavi

why would an offensive minded coach go to nashville..

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Fudged you Ted, how about making some moves when you knew this team wasn't going anywhere. Missed out on Laviolette and will most likely miss out on Jim Benning (Vancouver). Can Ted ever do anything right....... I am just really frustrated with how Ted's handling this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad