Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
If you could poach Fenton, the synergy with Trotz would be real. We would hate it though as Fenton is without question our GM heir apparent; he's been running the draft for a while. I live in DC and would love to see Trotz come to the Caps.

Trotz can handle real offensive talent, he's just never had it outside of ~2 seasons with Kariya and some other pieces like Hartnell, JP Dumont (dude actually used to put up a lot of points), Arnott, etc. There seems to be a fear that he is going to revert to Dale Hunter's usage of Ovie; that's not going to happen. Controller disconnected Ovie would get a lashing, but he's not going to try to convert him to a Bergeron-esque two-way forward.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Bylsma could very easily be the next BB. Couldn't get over the hump with the Caps but then goes to the Ducks and helps turn that team around. Obviously he won a cup in Pittsburgh but everyone here wanted BB gone. I think it was the right move. The players tuned him out. Could be the same with Disco.

Liberati0n*

If you didn't want him fired after this team got blown out by Toronto and Buffalo 3x in a short period when both teams lineups were filled with AHL scrubs due to injuries...

Maybe he thought the team needed to show some more Fortitud3 and push through it.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
If you didn't want him fired after this team got blown out by Toronto and Buffalo 3x in a short period when both teams lineups were filled with AHL scrubs due to injuries...

I think this speaks more to the Capitals players being petulant wimps. Evidence seems to be more on that side than on the side that Bruce Boudreau was a bad coach.

In my opinion this happened because the players felt mislead by BB. He was a great defender of their style of play, and then all of a sudden he wasn't. I think that was GMGM's fault ultimately.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Fenton is a strong candidate on his own merits. Are there real signs that hiring him would give the Caps a leg up on Trotz, or are we just assuming that because of their recent collaboration?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Fenton is a strong candidate on his own merits. Are there real signs that hiring him would give the Caps a leg up on Trotz, or are we just assuming that because of their recent collaboration?
It's just conjecture but it's a pretty long relationship. Both men were there from Nashville's expansion on.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
great coaches are fired all the time. coaches run their course. bylsma may get canned here but I would call him a bad coach.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Bylsma could very easily be the next BB. Couldn't get over the hump with the Caps but then goes to the Ducks and helps turn that team around. Obviously he won a cup in Pittsburgh but everyone here wanted BB gone. I think it was the right move. The players tuned him out. Could be the same with Disco.

I still think BB's a good coach, but I question how he'll be in Anaheim in year 4 and 5. I personally think he'll do great the first few years but if they don't win the big one, or if they do and you're looking 4 years past that, I think he'll drop off.

Unless he's completely changed I'm just not sure his message is one that can last long term.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I still think BB's a good coach, but I question how he'll be in Anaheim in year 4 and 5. I personally think he'll do great the first few years but if they don't win the big one, or if they do and you're looking 4 years past that, I think he'll drop off.

Unless he's completely changed I'm just not sure his message is one that can last long term.

Not many coaches last long term. If Bylsma could come here and help rejuvenate the team for 4/5 years that's really all you can ask for.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Dave Pratt @DavePratt1040
Just talked to Marc Crawford...Says he's talked to every NHL team looking for a head coach...Florida top of the list???

Not sure if this means the Capitals contact him or he contacted the Capitals...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
With talk that some players from Team USA didn't like Bylsma I would hope if he is a legit candidate that ownership talks candidly with Carlson about that.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
With talk that some players from Team USA didn't like Bylsma I would hope if he is a legit candidate that ownership talks candidly with Carlson about that.

Especially since he held Carlson to little ice time even though he was generating numerous chances in the offensive zone. He might have been a defensive liability but there was no reason why he shouldn't have been playing when we were down.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't really get the Team USA Bylsma complaints. People are really freaking out over 2 games? Prior to the semi-finals, the team was dominant and many saw it as the top team in the tounament. Canada was incedible defensively, not just against the USA. A 1-0 loss to Canada is not a bad game, especially when you consider Canada never gave up more than 1 goal against and had three shutouts in six games. So in essence, the hatred of Bylsma comes down to the USA not showing up for the Bronze Medal game against Finland.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@TheFourthPeriod: On Bylsma... Can tell you he certainly "lost the room" not only in PIT but on Team USA during Olympics. A few players not a fan.

It's rumor but it's not just some fan dismay. It's reportedly from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad