Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Trotz is the best choice out there, we're truly in trouble.

Why not Trotz? OV -> LW, more defensemen at D, some system, some structure... Couldn't be worse than Oates at least.

Trotz even managed to get some substantial profit from Erat! Think about that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its funny hearing the loser GMs were interviewed. Ted is just going through the motions. All the good candidates are employed. Tex in drama drama expose' mode.

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

:help:

May as well hire Tortorella b/c he'd be the right fit too in that case.

What?

If anything, you should be worried about the exact opposite based on his comments. He may be too flexible, too inclined to adapt himself to his players rather than force them to adapt improve and round out their games. I thought this quotes were really strong until that one about catering to what suits your core or whatever it was. That one was kind of disturbing.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Why not Trotz? OV -> LW, more defensemen at D, some system, some structure... Couldn't be worse than Oates at least.

Trotz even managed to get some substantial profit from Erat! Think about that.

It's tough to be worse than Oates. It takes special talent.
If Trotz came with Poile, I'd think about it.

I'd rather have a fresh face with ideas who knows how to play run'n'gun.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I dont know that he was necessarily in the running, but heard this morning that Mueller just took an asst. job with the Blues.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My current preference list:
1. Todd McLellan (currently employed, unlikley to get fired at this point :( )
2. Dan Bylsma (currently employed, pending outcome of Rangers series)
3a. Kevin Dineen
3b. Barry Trotz
5. Jeff Blashill (Detroit reportedly not allowing other clubs to talk to him)

There's a big enough gap between the top two candidates and the 3a/3b that I'd wait to see what happens with the coaching situations in San Jose and Pittsburgh before hiring anyone (while simultaneously hiring a GM). Trotz's comments that he understands Washington is searching for GM only reinforce that, as he seems willing to wait a few more weeks before sprining on anything. If Vancouver or (more likely) Carolina start pouncing on coaching candidates, things may change (the Hurricanes have already been linked to both Trotz and Dineen).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What?

If anything, you should be worried about the exact opposite based on his comments. He may be too flexible, too inclined to adapt himself to his players rather than force them to adapt improve and round out their games. I thought this quotes were really strong until that one about catering to what suits your core or whatever it was. That one was kind of disturbing.

I am sorry...I don't get it. the most out of your players is part of good coaching. demanding a running game with a roster of pass blockers, wide receivers and a big armed qb is silly. you know. square peg/round hole.

are you suggesting that if trotz is a square peg coach that the new gm must change the roster from a round peg to a square one?

Liberati0n*

I am sorry...I don't get it. the most out of your players is part of good coaching. demanding a running game with a roster of pass blockers, wide receivers and a big armed qb is silly. you know. square peg/round hole.

are you suggesting that if trotz is a square peg coach that the new gm must change the roster from a round peg to a square one?

It was the way he said it. Read the article first. It's on Katie's blog.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Oates was saying right things too. Actions > words.
Well then you're skeptical of anyone and that shouldn't really discount Trotz in particular. At least with Trotz he has displayed staying power in a job rather than burning out and running out of answers. For this team that seems like a hell of a plus.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Well then you're skeptical of anyone and that shouldn't really discount Trotz in particular. At least with Trotz he has displayed staying power in a job rather than burning out and running out of answers. For this team that seems like a hell of a plus.

I'm not skeptical of someone who has innovative hockey mind, and I didn't see it watching Trotz's Preds.

Boucher -- yes he has his shortcomings, but he is innovative. I'd look long and hard at him.

Liberati0n*

Boucher -- yes he has his shortcomings, but he is innovative. I'd look long and hard at him.

This. The worry is that he's a one-innovation pony and can't/isn't willing to adapt effectively. But that's why you interview people.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Oates was saying right things too. Actions > words.

Sure but Trotz has an actual record to go on and as has been pointed out when he had more talented personnel was able to get them playing pretty well offensively.

Oates was just theory IMO...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I thought this quotes were really strong until that one about catering to what suits your core or whatever it was. That one was kind of disturbing.

So you read that as him saying he's fine with letting everyone just continue being as flawed as they want to be? The core is lazy and undisciplined so we are going to play play lazy and undisciplined hockey? Really...?

Liberati0n*

So you read that as him saying he's fine with letting everyone just continue being as flawed as they want to be? The core is lazy and undisciplined so we are going to play play lazy and undisciplined hockey? Really...?

I guess this is what I was thinking of, along with the thing about "their own brands" that Langway noted:
When I look at it, you’re teaching 23 but you’re coaching probably six or seven [players] and that’s your core. Your core as a coach really determines where you’re going to go, and if you can manage that core really well the rest will follow.â€
It's unclear, but I think there's a little bit of cause for concern there. He had the forwards buy in to a defensive approach in Nashville, but those forwards weren't Ovechkin.

Overall I think he's probably one of the best candidates.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Trotz seems like a good coach with all of nashville's defencies in the offense. He might be aware of Green's uselessness as well. Maybe management can boost the defense if he does come over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad