Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll post it. The new buzz is that Mike Babcock's contract may not be renewed and that his relationship with the players "has run its course". If his contract isn't extended, he says he'll take an assistant coach position at Michigan.

Sounds like he wants to stay local, but if he's not extended, IMO Ted has to give him a call, Big Blue notwithstanding.

That's a name I'd hire before the GM. Maybe the only one.

Expanding on this, how nuts would it be if Babcock doesn't stay in Detroit? He's a Jack Adams finalist this year. It's so far-fetched that I'd dismiss it out of hand if it didn't come from Helene St. James.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Also, I think it's worth mentioning that if Babcock and Holland agree that his relationship with the players has run its course, the difference in the way changes are made is stark between a good organization (the Wings) and the Caps. This would be a very proactive move resulting from a strong relationship between the coach and GM, and an organization that is in tune and in sync at all levels despite losing Jim Nill just last year. Contrast that with the Caps, who didn't know (or didn't act on) the room was being lost until it actually happened, and were forced to scramble and make moves that didn't fit into any sort of long-term plan.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
That's a name I'd hire before the GM. Maybe the only one.
Babcock's still under contract for another year, right? I guess they could agree to terminate it early but that's my understanding anyway.

Good piece on modern day coaching and players. Some insightful quotes from Dave King. He wouldn't be at the top of my list but he does have a very diverse background. Not to be all Cherry or anything but given all of the European skill players on the team someone with that sort of rich background could be helpful (in an assistant if not the head guy).

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Babcock's still under contract for another year, right? I guess they could agree to terminate it early but that's my understanding anyway.

Good piece on modern day coaching and players. Some insightful quotes from Dave King. He wouldn't be at the top of my list but he does have a very diverse background. Not to be all Cherry or anything but given all of the European skill players on the team someone with that sort of rich background could be helpful (in an assistant if not the head guy).

Yeah, he does appear to have a year left. Guess that's why nobody's talking about it :laugh:

Here's an article about it: http://www.freep.com/article/20140430/SPORTS05/304300049

Nice read in the link you posted. There's a lot there that I won't comment on because I'm on my phone.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Expanding on this, how nuts would it be if Babcock doesn't stay in Detroit? He's a Jack Adams finalist this year. It's so far-fetched that I'd dismiss it out of hand if it didn't come from Helene St. James.

If Babcock shakes loose you have to go after him aggressively, GM or no GM. No question.

It's like a fantasy draft. If there's a run on a non-sucky position you need to abandon your strategy and get someone at that position before they're gone. A run on coaches means hire a coach ahead of when you planned to, unless you have a major off-the-board ace up your sleeve which the Caps surely don't given their history of rookie coach blunders.

If the new GM doesn't like the coach and things aren't working then someone ships out. It would be preferable to have a full field of HC candidates and a new GM helping with the pick of course. The GM selection better be worth the wait. If it's a dud and we miss out on the best coaching candidates as well, then I'm jumping in a volcano when I get back from the bridge and the window.

Caps Crazy

Feb 12, 2009
Troy Ward

I would love to see Troy Ward get some serious consideration as Washington's next Head Coach.

He is a currently on Vancouver's short list of candidates.

The Bad:
No NHL Head Coaching Experience.

The Good:
Was Kevin Constantine's #1 assistant in Pittsburgh.
Was Mike Eaves #1 assistant at Wisconsin.
Has extensive AHL head coaching experience most recently in Calgary's system.
Tremendous systems knowledge, outstanding teacher, and very well repsected by his players, top end PP & PK track record on many of the teams he has coached on.
Well kept secret very much under the radar.

He would bring a very fresh perspective to the program around developing a "Winning Culture" top to bottom with true accountability throughout...starting with himself.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It'd be interesting to see how this team responds to Babcock. While his hockey systems could mesh with the personnel we have, his coaching style is closer to Dale Hunter than Boudreau or Oates (though none of those are a particularly good analogy). There have been a number of Detroit players that absolutely could not stand Babcock, and it's believed that Filpulla refused to sign with Detroit last season because of him. I'm not sure if a hardass like Babcock is going to translate to better performances from Ovechkin or Backstrom.

He's also demonstrated the same inexplicable love of certain grinders (Abdelkader, Miller) and fringe NHLers (Lashoff, Glendening) in important roles that we saw from Hunter and Oates, while letting guys like Tatar sit on the bench.

To be clear, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I would absolutely want the team to pursue Babcock, were he to become available. I just think there is a counter-point to be made, and that he may not be a magic bullet.

Also worth noting, I don't think you'll be able to pry him out of the last year of his current contract to get him to come to DC. His youngest child is a senior in high school, and is contract is timed to end when they graduate.

That’s blunt talk from Babcock, not brash talk. Ask him about his future, and he’s not certain. He timed his latest contract to expire when the last of his three children graduates from high school in 2015.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140130/SPORTS0103/301300041

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It'd be interesting to see how this team responds to Babcock. While his hockey systems could mesh with the personnel we have, his coaching style is closer to Dale Hunter than Boudreau or Oates (though none of those are a particularly good analogy). There have been a number of Detroit players that absolutely could not stand Babcock, and it's believed that Filpulla refused to sign with Detroit last season because of him. I'm not sure if a hardass like Babcock is going to translate to better performances from Ovechkin or Backstrom.

He's also demonstrated the same inexplicable love of certain grinders (Abdelkader, Miller) and fringe NHLers (Lashoff, Glendening) in important roles that we saw from Hunter and Oates, while letting guys like Tatar sit on the bench.

To be clear, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I would absolutely want the team to pursue Babcock, were he to become available. I just think there is a counter-point to be made, and that he may not be a magic bullet.

Also worth noting, I don't think you'll be able to pry him out of the last year of his current contract to get him to come to DC. His youngest child is a senior in high school, and is contract is timed to end when they graduate.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140130/SPORTS0103/301300041

Kid connection. Cross him off the list. Not going anywhere.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm curious as to why there hasn't been more talk about Kevin Dineen. Of the guys currently on the market, he might be my favorite (given my hesistance about Trotz's system and this team). If McLellan, Babcock, or Bylsma become available, it would change, but we could do far worse than Dineen.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm curious as to why there hasn't been more talk about Kevin Dineen. Of the guys currently on the market, he might be my favorite (given my hesistance about Trotz's system and this team). If McLellan, Babcock, or Bylsma become available, it would change, but we could do far worse than Dineen.

Big fan of Dineen as well. He could be a good fit here, and I don't mind guys that have experienced failure in the least. If they've got the right character, it can make them better (see Bill Belichek).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't mean like a former player who happens to coach, I mean more like paul newman's character in slapshot.

We already had Boudreau.
$(KGrHqJHJBQFJ,rd9KfoBSZpq!vCrw~~60_35.JPG

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Im in for Trotz, he took teams to the playoffs whose highest point scorer was Martin Erat at 60. He never had an offensive talent to work with and when he did he go alot out of them. Weber and Suter both put up 45+ point seasons under Trotz in 11-12 imagine what Green, Carlson, and Orlov can do with much better offensive skills than those two. Not to mention Trotz would be coming into a team with far more skill than any of his past teams

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
Im in for Trotz, he took teams to the playoffs whose highest point scorer was Martin Erat at 60. He never had an offensive talent to work with and when he did he go alot out of them. Weber and Suter both put up 45+ point seasons under Trotz in 11-12 imagine what Green, Carlson, and Orlov can do with much better offensive skills than those two. Not to mention Trotz would be coming into a team with far more skill than any of his past teams
I'm ignorant. What forwards have proved successful offensively with him?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space

How many playoff series has he won?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Ehhh. There's some truth to that, but it's not 100% accurate. Right after the 2004 lockout, he had a few teams that had offensive talent. Guys like Paul Kariya, Jason Arnott, JP Dumont, Alex Radulov, and Steve Sullivan pushed Martin Erat down on the scoring leaderboard. Not to mention that Filip Forsberg isn't the first Forsberg to put on a Predators jersey. Despite having some teams with legitimate offensive threats, Trotz wasn't able to get out of the first round of the playoffs. His teams won a grand total of six playoff games between 2003 and 2008.

I'm lukewarm on Trotz and this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad