Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Dineen or Stevens. Lot of people consider Stevens the real mastermind behind the Kings style so I might give him a slight edge.

Absolutely NO to Keenan, Torts or Bylsma.

Meh on Trotz, wouldn't be mad, wouldn't be excited. The only thing Trotz has I like is the "respect" thing, but who knows how important that really is.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Friedman hinted in his 30 thoughts the other day about the possibility of Bob Woods becoming a head coach soon. I think that ship has sailed when he was fired with Bruce but it was interesting to me.

I'm thinking it will end up being Trotz depending on who the GM is.

SpeedGame

Apr 17, 2014
I recommend taking a look a Jim Johnson, he was on Hunter's staff and he's been in San Jose for the last two seasons.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I recommend taking a look a Jim Johnson, he was on Hunter's staff and he's been in San Jose for the last two seasons.

I seem to recall at the time we weren't particularly impressed with what he did, though we liked his style. Now we seem to be more impressed with his work than we were then. Either way, we'd be more interested in him as an assistant than a head coach, I think, and our assistants are still here FWIW.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Johnson was the man behind the man-on-man defense, correct? That seemed to work pretty well in the playoffs, IIRC.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Johnson was the man behind the man-on-man defense, correct? That seemed to work pretty well in the playoffs, IIRC.

Yes, he was. The Avs used a similar system this year. I personally liked him, but thought I remembered overall board sentiment being slightly unfavorable. Could be wrong.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yes, he was. The Avs used a similar system this year. I personally liked him, but thought I remembered overall board sentiment being slightly unfavorable. Could be wrong.

I think it was the opposite. Calle Jo is pretty hated but I seem to remember most people liking Johnson. Our defense and goaltending was pretty good under Hunter and Johnson.

I remember watching game 3 of LA vs SJ and wondering why we let him go, the commentators were really pumping his tires... But that was right before they lost 4 straight so...

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
That they mean business to try and win the Cup. Agents. Players. Etc

George never had that air, in fact...he just upset agents and players. If the Caps go "rookie" again with either role, it spells a slow build..not a go for it mentality. Trotz/Shero would be bold.

You don't agree?

I am worried about the style of play Trotz will bring, but I completely agree with your opinion of needing a coach and GM that carry a reputation.

SpeedGame

Apr 17, 2014
I think we need someone who has a fire-wagon offensive mentality who realizes that man-on-man defense is the way to shut down teams, or at least a coach that surrounds himself with assistants that coach this way. No complicated schemes and no weaving for the sake of weaving.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Ill take torts. I wanted lavi but i settle for torts. We need a hard ass in here. There are too many vets coasting in this locker room. Torts is a short term guy, his message will burn out after a while but he will be impactful for this core right now. 3rd choice would be trotz.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
torts got fired after coaching vancouver for 1 year, any guy who loses two jobs in one year should be avoided.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

George never had that air, in fact...he just upset agents and players. If the Caps go "rookie" again with either role, it spells a slow build..not a go for it mentality. Trotz/Shero would be bold.

You don't agree?

Trotz/Shero is the least bold combination they could hire. Two candidates that would be hired purely on face value without digging any deeper. Pretty much the definition of playing it safe in this scenario.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

You don't agree?

not entirely. trotz is not a go for the cup coach. he is a get the most out of what we have coach. trotz does not scream cup to me. he screams hard work gets it done.

I am not against hiring trotz as not having won a cup doesn't mean winning is not next. but lets be honest. Nashville was never a cup contender and trotz job was to try and overperform a meager budget.

shero....shero did win and he has been aggressive but the reason he got canned was because his big swings and activity have largely missed the mark. the results of his moves have been uneven at best.

I am not against shero either. but I am not convinced that either of these two guys scream the credibility you see. they do bring cred and that's why I asked what kind you think they bring. they are both professionals. they are good, hard working nhl career men that have a good rep as such.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz/Shero is the least bold combination they could hire. Two candidates that would be hired purely on face value without digging any deeper. Pretty much the definition of playing it safe in this scenario.

and then there is this. or...we can look at this another way. if McPhee were hiring Trotz he hire would be immediately panned because of his previous tenure with the team. right?

since we now know that the coaching hires go thru ted's office, hiring trotz means that on a big picture scale that nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad