Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
I'm in the camp that we absolutely need an experienced head coach. The revolving door of newbies hasn't been good for the team, and the damage that Oates did needs to quickly be undone by someone who has been there and done that. Unfortunately, Trotz is the only legitimate candidate out there that fits that need and he has choices.

As long as management doesn't go off the radar, I'm not worried on the GM side as there are more qualified candidates than openings. It's possible that the new GM could hire an up and coming stud at the coach position, but that's a big gamble. Trotz may not be the genius hire, but he's a better bet than yet another rookie coach. Just to be clear, I don't consider Bylsma a legitimate candidate when he becomes available.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Also confirming reports Barry Trotz was in Washington yesterday meeting with Caps owner Ted Leonsis and president, Dick Patrick.

Was wondering who he met with.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Butbutbut there's a GM and coach already in place and they're just waiting for the perfect time to announce it...

Seems like a foot-in-the-door type of interview. With Vancouver to officially announce the Benning hire in two days it's good of them to at least touch base with Trotz early on in his interview process. If they really want him then they're going to need to wrap up the GM search pretty quickly. I'd tend to think they've already narrowed that GM list down to a few people and will be approaching the offer stage soon (if they haven't already).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Butbutbut there's a GM and coach already in place and they're just waiting for the perfect time to announce it...

Seems like a foot-in-the-door type of interview. With Vancouver to officially announce the Benning hire in two days it's good of them to at least touch base with Trotz early on in his interview process. If they really want him then they're going to need to wrap up the GM search pretty quickly. I'd tend to think they've already narrowed that GM list down to a few people and will be approaching the offer stage soon (if they haven't already).

One would hope, but Ted and DP could very well be in a bubble of denial where they believe they're the class of the league and don't need to pay attention to anyone else. That's the been the culture and I doubt it came from GMGM alone.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

but but but. I said I wouldn't be shocked to find that the case. I didn't say it had happened. I don't know. I really don't care. I can wait to see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
Not a fan of Trotz but its whatever. My list was short with Laviolette by far at the top.

Who knows...maybe he'll turn out great and the team will respond to him. Sure seems like thats the direction we are leaning at this point.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
but but but. I said I wouldn't be shocked to find that the case. I didn't say it had happened. I don't know. I really don't care. I can wait to see what happens.
:laugh:

Linden:
”The draft is first and foremost, but we’ve also got our minds turning to the coach search and working through that. That may be impacted a little bit by teams still playing, so we’re going to have to work around that a little bit, but I think having a general manager work with me to select a coach is really critical.”
Sounds like they're looking at John Stevens, just as they did last year. Also Desjardins still active in the AHL.

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I dont think they know what they are thinking.

i_have_no_idea_what_im_doing_meme_640_21.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think they know what to do in the org hierarchy above the GM slot. Patrick is likely eyeballing an exit strategy. Wayne is the only one they seem to be considering, and likely is demanding a bigger piece of the pie than Ted is willing to part with.

It seems to be Gretzky or bust. Its mudding up their feeble GM search, which seems to be second fiddle to finding a coach first. A tear comes to Jim Zorn's eye.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I dont think they know what they are thinking.
I think they wanted to get their foot in the door with Trotz and are likely accelerating getting a GM in place. I doubt Trotz is so eager that he's going to pass up the interview process elsewhere and sign on here without a GM in place first.

Perhaps it's already down to Sweeney, Fenton and Shero. If it's Fenton I'll wonder if it wasn't a matter of limiting the GM's authority and him being the only guy fine with it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
could it be that they want a new gm to announce that trotz is the new coach and that they will hire a gm that approves of leonsis hiring trotz? does a gm that doesn't want trotz get the job?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
does a gm that doesn't want trotz get the job?
As long as Trotz is an option and a real possibility, I doubt it.

As deep as the GM field is there isn't a single gimme candidate (outwardly anyway...who knows what their criteria is otherwise).

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lost in Time and Space
I'm warming up to Trotz.

I like his wicked eyebrows and lack of neck. Its kinda badass and makes him look really mean.

Whatever. Just hire someone and hope there is synergy. I'll watch the games either way anyhow.

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
Been saying Desjardins for a while. If we don't get him, we'll likely regret it in a few years. He's a very experienced coach (juniors and minors). Always winning. Period.

RockDaRed

May 13, 2013
Richmond,VA
If we're hiring a coach before the GM because we don't think the new GM would approve of the hire so we're basically going around him before he starts we're a asolutely terrible franchise and should probably be sent to Quebec.

Liberati0n*

Perhaps it's already down to Sweeney, Fenton and Shero. If it's Fenton I'll wonder if it wasn't a matter of limiting the GM's authority and him being the only guy fine with it.

That's terrifying. For that reason alone, I am 100% behind Shero now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I dunno, I think DPs comments about possibly hiring a coach before a GM might have tipped their hand a bit. The longer this drags out the more I wonder if they had a short list already prepared for both vacancies and anticipated their GM candidate either going deep with his team in the playoffs or being unavailable to interview prior to contract expiration.

That may narrow the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad