Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
All I have to say about Bylsma is 10-11 41 games with Crosby scoring 66 points in that span was 55 standing points. They ended up finishing with 106. They had Malkin for like 5 games after Crosby went down and he wasn't even good in 10-11.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wonder...is Pittsburgh not firing Bylsma now...to keep him away from DC?
With the GM spot still vacant that shouldn't be an immediate concern. I would think that the two teams that just need a coach (CAR & FLA) would be bigger immediate concerns. To me if he's not the guy--and it's very likely he's run his course there--then there's not much to be gained by keeping him on. It helps with appearances I suppose and keeps the option open to keep him but there's little else to be gained by it. If Washington really wants him they can always wait until the time comes that he's fired.

Conversely, what does this say about their feelings towards Shero? Now he becomes available for the Washington GM spot when they could have played the deliberation card and held off of making a decision there (or elsewhere). I don't think firing Shero alone placates their fanbase very much so from a strategy standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense. It looks as though they had Shero on thin ice period and their finish wasn't a crucial reason behind it.

One thing that's been mentioned is GM's wanting to change the rules with regards to compensation for losing management and coaching talent. Perhaps they're holding off in the hopes of gaining a draft pick or something but, again, that doesn't make a ton of sense either. If he's not the guy--and if they did similar exit meetings with players like Washington did it should be clear--I wouldn't really worry about trying to steer their eventual destination.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Then why wait? You know?

Its weird he's still employed...unless its to keep him from getting another job within the division that has two coaching jobs available.

Sure, but if he's that good... You keep him, no? You just sent the message to the room that he's allegedly lost that he's here to stay (new GM is on board with the coach) so shape up.

Or maybe they just want a second opinion from a guy who didn't tie his job to Bylsma.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think this means the Pens either dislike or fear Bylsma and want to sit on him until the other coaching positions are filled, thus forcing him out of the league; or they don't necessarily blame him for the team's failures and want the new GM to come in and shuffle the deck in the locker room.

2nd option seems more likely to me. Or, maybe they're still going to fire him and just haven't gotten to it yet.

Iron Mike

May 7, 2012
I wonder...is Pittsburgh not firing Bylsma now...to keep him away from DC?

I am a Pens fan and come in peace. That is one of the widely circulated theories going around the Pittsburgh media in the aftermath of that presser. Many here think that Shero is a frontrunner for your job and would want to bring in Bylsma. Those two are extremely close and some rumors even suggest that he tried to save Bylsma again after Game 7. This whole thing is ironic because many people think he lost his job today because he tied himself to Bylsma after last years Bruins debacle.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Then, really, aren't they doing Washington a favor? Too much status quo potential in their respective tendencies if that duo just moves on together.

And, again, there's nothing stopping Washington with Shero from holding out on making a coaching hire until they eventually do fire Bylsma if Shero is dead set on it. Worst-case that leaves them holding the bag if Pittsburgh ends up retaining Bylsma but I'd think that all parties involved will want replacements set up within the next month anyway.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-wasn-t-dan-bylsma-fired-by-penguins-164344413.html

“The decision is to have a new GM come in and evaluate the entire hockey operations department, including the coaching staff,” said Morehouse, who said the team has a “large group of people” in mind for the opening. “This isn’t a complete overhaul. We’ve had good success in the regular season. We’re a good team.”

isn't that a little weird? Firing the GM for lack of success on the ice, but not the guy behind the bench?

“I don’t think there’s an element of weirdness. I think we’re trying to do it systematically. We’re trying to address the situation at the top,” he said. “We’re trying to get from good to great.”

If he isn't lying then option 2 I mentioned earlier looks even more legit. Makes you wonder about what moves might be coming.

GRAB MALKIN!!!

Iron Mike

May 7, 2012
Then, really, aren't they doing Washington a favor? Too much status quo potential in their respective tendencies if that duo just moves on together.

And, again, there's nothing stopping Washington with Shero from holding out on making a coaching hire until they eventually do fire Bylsma if Shero is dead set on it. Worst-case that leaves them holding the bag if Pittsburgh ends up retaining Bylsma but I'd think that all parties involved will want replacements set up within the next month anyway.

In my personal opinion, I feel that they think Dan can still be a good coach. He has to leave Pittsburgh. i don't really see anyway he can return. They are currently watching their former coach lead his team to the conference finals. I'm not sure they really want the Shero/Bylsma combo in DC and all of the drama that would come along with it.

And a bit off point, there have been rumors recently that suggest they are more hands on than people think. For instance, there is a rumor that they nixed a Shero trade for Letang last summer and made him re-sign Letang for marketability purposes. Some people see Shero as a fall guy. Maybe they fear Shero and Bylsma coming back in Washington with a vengeance? I don't really know.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Very surprised that Bylsma was retained. NHL coaching has lifespans that means change even for coaches that have successful runs.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
In my personal opinion, I feel that they think Dan can still be a good coach. He has to leave Pittsburgh. i don't really see anyway he can return. They are currently watching their former coach lead his team to the conference finals. I'm not sure they really want the Shero/Bylsma combo in DC and all of the drama that would come along with it.

And a bit off point, there have been rumors recently that suggest they are more hands on than people think. For instance, there is a rumor that they nixed a Shero trade for Letang last summer and made him re-sign Letang for marketability purposes. Some people see Shero as a fall guy. Maybe they fear Shero and Bylsma coming back in Washington with a vengeance? I don't really know.
Good to know, thanks. The Letang part is really interesting. Not a terrible contract when he was healthy but it looks terrible now. It actually reflects well on Shero if he did in fact try to trade him instead of resign him to that monster deal.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
LOL Pens are so arrogant that they think they can woo away Babcock next year when his contract expires. Jesus Christ, how do you even buy into your own team that much? Insanity.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
LOL Pens are so arrogant that they think they can woo away Babcock next year when his contract expires. Jesus Christ, how do you even buy into your own team that much? Insanity.

Where's there's as much smoke as there is around Babcock, there's probably a fire. The Red Wings aren't letting teams (including Vancouver) talk to Jeff Blashill. Babcock's youngest child graduates high school after this year, same year as his (and Blashill's) contract expires. Helen St. James has reported that Babcock's tenure with the team has run its course. A number of other sources have made claims along similar lines.

It's pretty obvious that Babcock won't coach the Red Wings in 2015-16, Jeff Blashill will.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Babcock already said he intends to take an assistant coach position at Michigan when he leaves the Wings. He's the heir apparent to Red Berenson.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I don't really get the Team USA Bylsma complaints. People are really freaking out over 2 games? Prior to the semi-finals, the team was dominant and many saw it as the top team in the tounament. Canada was incedible defensively, not just against the USA. A 1-0 loss to Canada is not a bad game, especially when you consider Canada never gave up more than 1 goal against and had three shutouts in six games. So in essence, the hatred of Bylsma comes down to the USA not showing up for the Bronze Medal game against Finland.

What team did USA won against? Please? Tied with Russia, not played against Sweden and lost to Canada and Finland. Finland was the only team who drew Canada to overtime.

I think the tournament standings were fair in the end.

Also, if new GM/coach combo will not get results... even if it's Shero/Bylsma, anyway, worst case scenario is if we'll think McPhee's era was better in a couple of years. Not the end of the world, especially for guys who wait for 40 years already.

I think we can handle it! :P

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I would gladly take both Shero and Bylsma. Shero knows how to add pieces at the deadline for next to nothing and Bylsma isn't bad. At least he lets his players carry the puck into the zone, and has experience.

My ideal coach was always Lavi, but that ship has sailed.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Obviously you've never been to Pittsburgh. Entire city is nice. Where Detroit Metro has some areas that don't look like a wasteland.

I've been to both plenty of times. Some of the suburbs outside of Detroit Metro are some of the nicest and richest in the country. I would imagine the athletes for Detroit teams live there...

Pittsburgh, on the other hand... not so much.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Has anyone discussed Guy Boucher? Or does he look too much like a Bond villain.

Some discussion has happened (fedfed likes him). He's about 7th on my preferred candidate list (3rd among currently available candidates, pending what happens to Bylsma).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad