Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Maybe not, but baseball is a lot more global than some people realize. It is far and away the most popular sport in Japan, and it's also quite big in Korea. Add in Cuba, DR, etc and it's certainly not just an American game.

It's obvious not Baske or tennis, but it's a lot bigger than hockey, for example
Just wait till baseball makes it's way deeper into Asia. You're telling me with all those Cricket countries there's not a handful of superstars out there? The skills are all very transferable. Baseball has a huge untapped market globally but they just focus on wherever baseball is already big.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Ohtani > McDavid > Mahomes in that order for me.

As an aside, it makes me laugh seeing all of this gushing about Ohtani considering the context of how badly the Oilers get shit on around here. He deserves it, but for year the Oilers have been a laughingstock and basically relegated with the Sabres to be a Cleveland browns level organization, that just eternally wastes the talent of stars and will never have success.

The Angels are undoubtedly the worst in all of pro sports but never seem to get mentioned. Wasting Trout for a decade, now they have another all-time great player at the same time and can still barely scrape together a 0.500 season. Just a joke of a franchise.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just wait till baseball makes it's way deeper into Asia. You're telling me with all those Cricket countries there's not a handful of superstars out there? The skills are all very transferable. Baseball has a huge untapped market globally but they just focus on wherever baseball is already big.

Why would they want to be baseball superstars when they could be cricket superstars?

There are roughly 500 million baseball fans in the world and 2.5 billion cricket fans.

Top Asian cricket players have a net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Wow
Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Are you really claiming that my argument that the league has changed drastically since Ruth's day, allowing Ohtani opportunties that Ruth never could have had, is "silly" because it's an entirely different game today? :huh:
Love how you litterally have no comeback for 90% of my post. And I didn't say your argument was silly I said using complete games was.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
So a Japanese (ty google) is the best baseball player right now? Interesting. Who were the best for him, is there a timeline somewhere?

And the other one seems to be a football player? Also never heard of this guy. Since when is he the best? Thx.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Love how you litterally have no comeback for 90% of my post. And I didn't say your argument was silly I said using complete games was.

It's almost like you didn't understand that I was using complete games as an example of how drastically the game has changed over the last century, and wanted to build a strawman to argue about how Ohtani is better.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Why would they want to be baseball superstars when they could be cricket superstars?

There are roughly 500 million baseball fans in the world and 2.5 billion cricket fans.

Top Asian cricket players have a net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
2.5 billion is certainly high, and the vast majority of cricket supporters come from 2 countries.

Cricket is also a stupid and poorly designed sport.

Reactions: Voight

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
It's almost like you didn't understand that I was using complete games as an example of how drastically the game has changed over the last century, and wanted to build a strawman to argue about how Ohtani is better.
You clearly didn't register the point, nowhere did I say Ohtani 'is better'. What I specifically stated is that that no has done what Ohtani is doing in the same season. I'll even quote the post for you so that you don't miss it this time;
Clearly the stats prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that no one has ever been this good at hitting and pitching in the same season on a full time basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: T REX

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
You might want to work on better understanding, because while I love watching Ohtani, he's nowhere near the GOAT
If he keeps up his play at the level he's currently at, he'll easily be in the conversation.

My list would be:

Ohtani
McDavid

That's it, Mahomes is a great player but isn't a good fit for this poll.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Considering McDavid is a floater with no outside game and struggles 5on5 in the playoffs and hasn't won a single game past the 2nd round in his 8 year career.

Probably not him.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Nobody in Asia gives a shit about baseball. Cricket dwarfs baseball and always will. Don't want to sound rude or anything

• Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
2.5 billion is certainly high, and the vast majority of cricket supporters come from 2 countries.

Cricket is also a stupid and poorly designed sport.
Baseball players would be crying trying to get through a cricket match. Fat lazy roid pumping sobs sitting 50 % of thier time chilling in the dugout. Cricket stars are a different animal.

• Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Always funny to me when people discount team achievements in team sports. Like... it's the winning that's the point of playing these games. Not compiling individual stats. Not scoring titles or MVPs.

Ask any competitive athlete involved in professional sports and the answer is the same. That's the highest goal. This thread discounting Mahomes playing the hardest position in all of pro sports and succeeding to the extent he has in a league as competitive as the NFL is really narrow minded.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Superlative Soup

Lights too bright
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
So a Japanese (ty google) is the best baseball player right now? Interesting. Who were the best for him, is there a timeline somewhere?

And the other one seems to be a football player? Also never heard of this guy. Since when is he the best? Thx.
Don’t think you’re qualified to vote on this tbh.

The answer is Ohtani. We will likely never see another.

Reactions: Lauro

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You clearly didn't register the point, nowhere did I say Ohtani 'is better'. What I specifically stated is that that no has done what Ohtani is doing in the same season. I'll even quite the post for you so that you don't miss it this time;

And my counter to that is that it's a matter of circumstance, because Ruth didn't have the DH position to be able to just hit on his days off from pitching. Or should we all just pretend that Ohtani would have been able to do this without the DH position being introduced? Or without pitch counts drastically limiting the wear and tear on pitchers?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's Mahomes

Guy won 2 championships already, 2 MVPs, a SB MVP. He's already equalled some all time great like Manning and is on his way to surpass Brady.
The 2nd Super Bowl he won, he did with a shitty receiving core and had to be perfect in the second half on a bad ankle. He literally did not have an incompletion all second half.

While McDavid has the MVPs, he hasn't won shit.

Baseball is not a real sport, so not even gonna consider the other guy.

Your argument loses all credibility when you make statements like this.

Lol, nope. They're not globally played sports like tennis and basketball are for example.

Baseball is a globally played sport.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nobody in Asia gives a shit about baseball. Cricket dwarfs baseball and always will. Don't want to sound rude or anything

Yeah, you're right, baseball gets zero traction in Asia. Especially in Japan.

baystars-blue.gif

Talk about a dead sport, am I right?

Those fans must've showed up to a packed stadium to watch....*checks notes*.....cricket.

Yep, that's probably it.

:biglaugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, you're right, baseball gets zero traction in Asia. Especially in Japan.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear the discussion was about mainland Asia.

The original comment was about the skillset for cricket carrying over to baseball, and I don't recall a massive number of cricket players in Japan.

It's insulting to believe that a region with a rabid sporting culture for cricket would suddenly decide to start investing their time and energy into baseball because it's popular in the Americas and Japan.

Maybe someone saw that movie with Jon Hamm and got too excited.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear the discussion was about mainland Asia.

The original comment was about the skillset for cricket carrying over to baseball, and I don't recall a massive number of cricket players in Japan.

It's insulting to believe that a region with a rabid sporting culture for cricket would suddenly decide to start investing their time and energy into baseball because it's popular in the Americas and Japan.

Maybe someone saw that movie with Jon Hamm and got too excited.

I'd wager baseball's still bigger in China as well, at least moreso than cricket is. Perhaps even in Russia as well, I'm not sure.

Move further south and sure, India/Sri Lanka/Pakistan/Bangladesh are all cricket-mad and I would agree there's not likely to be much crossover there.

I just found the initial post about "nobody" in Asia caring about baseball to be quite funny, so I figured I'd weigh in. :laugh:

Reactions: DaveG and NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad