Speculation: Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I wouldn't part with any of the defense unless it's to bring in someone for the top 6.

Yes the defense has looked out of sorts, but I believe they will round in to form. Its the lack of talent in the top 6 to score goals which I would want to strengthen

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Tootoo would be a great addition to a team that need a little more umph from the bottom-six despite playing well otherwise.

Tootoo does nothing for this team as currently constructed. Does adding him to this abortion roster of injured players, and borderline NHLers, suddenly make the team better?

No.

His compete level compared to the rest of the team is off the charts. Hes not going to get guys scoring but his energy on the ice would make a change. Guys that play the way he plays are contaigous.

Again there are a lot of things wrong but this is a significant issue. He makes the team better in a way that doesn't always show on the scoreboard.

Last edited:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Michael Del Zotto for Ryan Ellis and a 2nd, or expanded. Ellis has looked decent this year and has a great shot, but Nashville is overloaded on right defensemen and that problem will get worse when Josi comes back. 1 year younger than DZ. On the smallish side, but is coming along.

Not a huge Ellis fan. His size wouldn't be an issue if were a great skater, but he isn't, so it hinders his defensive game greatly.

If the Rangers are trading DZ, they need a talented forward back, IMO.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Neal was an established NHL player. He had 72 goals in 2 plus seasons with the Stars.

Some teams value puck moving ability on the blueline. Dallas gave up Neal for Goligoski. Now signed Gonchar.

We haven't tried to get a PMD since Leetch was traded, let alone had one...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Some teams value puck moving ability on the blueline. Dallas gave up Neal for Goligoski. Now signed Gonchar.

I actually think puck-movers are overrated in the new NHL. Unless you are Karlsson or Letang or John Erskine, most players are pretty decent when they feel comfortable within a system of moving the puck up the ice. You need support and quick passes moreso than one player trying to do it all.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Oh I think they've tried — Kevin Hatcher, Tom Poti, Vladamir Malakhov, drafting Sanguinetti and Del Zotto — but you're right it's been a huge hole in the lineup for far too long.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Oh I think they've tried — Kevin Hatcher, Tom Poti, Vladamir Malakhov, drafting Sanguinetti and Del Zotto — but you're right it's been a huge hole in the lineup for far too long.

Yea, Brooks mentioned some other guys when AV moved Staal to first unit of PP a couple of weeks ago.

Sift through the list of defensemen the Rangers have tried on the power-play point since Brian Leetch and Sergei Zubov teamed up in the glory season of 1993-94 and the one thereafter, and you’ll be knee deep in minutia for a long while.

Remember? Kevin Hatcher was once supposed to be the answer. Peter Smrek was once the flavor of the month, or maybe week-and-a-half. Max Kondratiev, part of the package obtained from Toronto for Leetch, once actually scored from the point for the Blueshirts. Rich Brennan and Jan Mertzig were two of the guys back at the top in Wayne Gretzky’s final season.

It’s been a search worthy of “America’s Got Talent.” Except, somehow, the Rangers have never quite been able to find that talent to make for a worthy power play. Bryan McCabe had the shot, but not the legs by the time he got to Broadway late in 2010-11.

And now, all these years and characters later — Did someone say, Darren Van Impe? Didn’t think so. — there is someone different, if not entirely new, on the Blueshirts’ first-unit power unit.
That would be Marc Staal, who has been used at the point intermittently throughout the first six years of his career, but never before had been designated to open a season on the first unit, as he has been by coach Alain Vigneault.

Yikes.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/07/rangers-dormant-man-up-unit-looks-to-staal/

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
I actually think puck-movers are overrated in the new NHL. Unless you are Karlsson or Letang or John Erskine, most players are pretty decent when they feel comfortable within a system of moving the puck up the ice. You need support and quick passes moreso than one player trying to do it all.

Wait, John Erskine?!

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't part with any of the defense unless it's to bring in someone for the top 6.

Yes the defense has looked out of sorts, but I believe they will round in to form. Its the lack of talent in the top 6 to score goals which I would want to strengthen

I think that Brassard scoring at a 40-50 point rate in a top 6 equates to a losing team. I don't think he is the first to be moved, but definitely someone whose performance will dictate his future much sooner than later. I did not like how dismissive he sounded after a few blowout losses.

He didn't sound too far from what LaFlamme sounded like in Goon.

With that said, bottom six needs to get fixed first as the asset allocation for those moves are cheaper. Draft picks, internal solutions in the farm, and minor salary relief can sort out.

With all that said I think that the Rangers end up realizing a need for a top six center with Richards contract situation, and whatever Brassard defines as his norm.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Del Zotto for Zibanejad would be the Rangers version of the Goligoski for Neal deal; which is what they should be looking for.

This would be beyond dumb for Sather. Karlsson will make DZ's numbers haunt Ranger fans for years, and also Zibby's down in the minors due to commitment concerns off the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad