Speculation: Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
They moved Gaborik instead of playing Nash at LW. Do you think they did that just because they didn't like Gaborik?

Because Gabby also has played LW in his career. Guys move from LW to RW all the time why do you make it out to be such a big deal? Like I said it's not like moving from wing to center.

Lets not turn a blind eye to the fact that Torts was not the biggest Gaborik fan either.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Because Gabby also has played LW in his career. Guys move from LW to RW all the time why do you make it out to be such a big deal? Like I said it's not like moving from wing to center.

It's a bigger deal for some players than others. Callahan has looked awful at LW for most of his career. Gaborik didn't look comfortable at LW either. Nash has looked better at RW.

Why play people out of position AND give up assets to bring someone in? Why not just target a LW?

So you think Torts wouldn't have wanted to have (2) 40 goal scorers on the same line if there was any way for them to play well there? What does he not like goals?

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Go ask Iginla how it feels to switch wings. He loved it in Pittsburgh. :sarcasm:

Just like you can find a few examples where it didn't work I could find some where it did. But hey lets keep going with Taylor Pyatt, Fast and Kreider on the left side cause that seems to be working well.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Torts had gabby on the left with Nash on the right side lol that made no sense . Other then Richards being able to feed Nash the puck cause he's a lefty .

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Thats your point not mine. I say get a winger no matter if it's RW or LW because other guys can be moved to make it work.

This mentality has been what's wrong with the Rangers. You acquire a player whose played a certain role or position and then just assume you can plug them into another position without issues. Build a team properly. Put guys in positions to succeed. Plug them into roles they are accustomed to and can succeed in.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Just like you can find a few examples where it didn't work I could find some where it did. But hey lets keep going with Taylor Pyatt, Fast and Kreider on the left side cause that seems to be working well.

Getting a guy just so he can play out of position isn't far off from throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks. A huge problem thus far as been that this team goes out and adds players regardless of how they'll impact the rest of the roster. It's a terrible strategy.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Real life is not EA sports. There is a reason why most play well in the positions that they have been their entire careers. Playing out of position frequently does not bode well. Unless you are doing it on EA Sports.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004

Lets not turn a blind eye to the fact that Torts was not the biggest Gaborik fan either.

ive been playing hockey for 25 years and have always been a lw. i cant play the right side to save my life.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Real life is not EA sports. There is a reason why most play well in the positions that they have been their entire careers. Playing out of position frequently does not bode well. Unless you are doing it on EA Sports.

Switching from RW to LW or vise versa isn't that big of a deal it's not like asking a dman to play wing like Gilroy. When injuries happen guys switch wings to get into the line up or form better lines.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
ive been playing hockey for 25 years and have always been a lw. i cant play the right side to save my life.

Are you a professional hockey player? Do you dedicate your life to the sport like these guys? If not it's really not the same thing. I would guess you ever played anything outside of pick up because on a team the coach says where you play not you.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Getting a guy just so he can play out of position isn't far off from throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks. A huge problem thus far as been that this team goes out and adds players regardless of how they'll impact the rest of the roster. It's a terrible strategy.

Do you know when Nash is coming back? If you do please tell us.....we are without Callahan for a month! You guys are talking about these players like they currently in the lineup when they are not.

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
Not that it matters, I can play both LW and RW.

When i comes to forward, Stepan, Nash, and to a certain degree Brassard are the only keepers in my book. Depending on contract demands, Callahan might not be a Ranger next year. I say make a deal for the best player possible. Young, strong, fast, able to score goals. Ideally, its not a center or RW. But, if the right player became available, and he happens to be a RW, I pull the trigger.

Chances are that any package we could put together would land a second liner at best. Callahan should be playing a 3rd line checking role anyway.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
When they could have had him for free a week ago? Why would they now be willing to give up an asset for him?

Since Asham cleared waivers the Oilers could keep him in the AHL rather than having to keep him on the NHL roster (if they had picked him off of waivers).

However, the prospect coming from the Oilers probably wouldn't be NHL caliber, but it could end up being done as a favor for Asham--let him try and work his way back to the NHL with another organization.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Thats your point not mine. I say get a winger no matter if it's RW or LW because other guys can be moved to make it work.

I stopped believing that in the last century after watching too many square pegs try and get hammered into round holes.. Yes, some players can play several different positions, but for most, it reduces their effectiveness.

You want to put players in a position to succeed--usually that means playing them at their strongest position, not moving them away from it.

Last edited:

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Switching from RW to LW or vise versa isn't that big of a deal it's not like asking a dman to play wing like Gilroy. When injuries happen guys switch wings to get into the line up or form better lines.

But it's at least for some, like for Gaborik who didn't played well at all on the left.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think switching wingers is as big of a deal as switching defenseman from one side to the other, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that some guys are better at one side of the ice than the other. Why would you bring in someone with the intention of harming his effectiveness from the getgo?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
A lot of goal scorer who have played their off wing almost exclusively for the majority of their careers have a hard time switching.

It's a significant change and one you are probably better trying early on in your career IMHO.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
It took both of them a loooong time to adjust. And Kovalchuk never scored at the same rate. Bad examples.

That and Ovi almost always slides over to his left when his line establish them self in their opponents zone.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Torts had gabby on the left with Nash on the right side lol that made no sense . Other then Richards being able to feed Nash the puck cause he's a lefty .

Torts was an idiot with that. Gabby said he was more comfortable on RW and he played him on LW then worst thing is he dealt Gabby and then they move Nash to LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad