Speculation: Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Crazy idea?

I know Callahan is injured right now - but is this idea (thrown at me by a minor league player in Europe) totally crazy?

NYR trade
  • Ryan Callahan (UFA)
  • Derrick Brassard (RFA)
  • Benoit Pouliot (UFA)

to
BUF for
  • Thomas Vanek (UFA)
  • Steve Ott (UFA)

Maybe a couple throw-ins like picks and prospects?

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Not that it matters, I can play both LW and RW.

When i comes to forward, Stepan, Nash, and to a certain degree Brassard are the only keepers in my book. Depending on contract demands, Callahan might not be a Ranger next year. I say make a deal for the best player possible. Young, strong, fast, able to score goals. Ideally, its not a center or RW. But, if the right player became available, and he happens to be a RW, I pull the trigger.

Chances are that any package we could put together would land a second liner at best. Callahan should be playing a 3rd line checking role anyway.

God, some people are acting ridiculous. Yeah, this season's been abysmal thus far, but trading Callahan? The only guy that brings it night in and night out? He's worth every penny he gets and will get paid fairly (maybe a bit more, but he's one that deserves it)

And no, he shouldn't be on a 3rd line checking role. He's a legit 2nd line RW. Callahan is one of the most improved players I've seen since his upcoming to the NHL. His hands used to be terrible, they've gotten so much better. This guy is a Ranger, and a player you try and win the cup with.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Katie Strang (10:24 AM)

When a team underachieves and plays poorly -- the Rangers are certainly guilty of both -- rumors tend to get started. Best to approach them with a bit of rationality. Though I don't think the team is opposed to making some moves and shaking things up, I see the team trading a young player like Michael Del Zotto before Chris Kreider. Kreider has so much potential and upside. Way too early to label him a bust. If they didn't believe he had the goods, they wouldn't call him up to play with Stepan and Richards. That said, Kreider needs to make the most of his opportunity. Talent can only go so far without some semblance of consistency

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49236/nhl-with-katie-strang

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I know Callahan is injured right now - but is this idea (thrown at me by a minor league player in Europe) totally crazy?

NYR trade
  • Ryan Callahan (UFA)
  • Derrick Brassard (RFA)
  • Benoit Pouliot (UFA)

to
BUF for
  • Thomas Vanek (UFA)
  • Steve Ott (UFA)

Maybe a couple throw-ins like picks and prospects?

Buffalo literally just gave both of those dudes a letter. Vanek the home Captain, Ott the visting Captain. i'm willing to bet Buffalo tries to re-sign Ott. he's what a lot of teams could use. really don't know how possible this scenario would be

EDIT: not saying i wouldn't trade for Ott, but yeah. not sure how happy Buffalo fans would be if this ever went through

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

per Elliotte Friedman, Dallas has placed Aaron Rome on waivers.

AV has other son and he is on waivers from the Stars... watch out Stu Bickel part 3 might be claimed.... although this guy stinks.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hey XXXX yes I would think so. Addressed that at beginning of chat. You prob had sent your question in already but there's a long list so I'm working in order. Girardi, as you point out, also could join that group, but who knows with how he's played. Can't see any takers for Pouliot unless he starts producing.by Pat Leonard 1:12 PM

Obviously with the team playing poorly, there are rumors around about possible deals but would there be any chance Sather and Gorton decide it's time to 'sell' some of the pieces that are upcoming UFA's before they walk for nothing? Boyle, Girardi, Pyatt, Pouliot, Zuccarello, Moore?

Pat thinks they could sell if it came to that

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Jordin Tootoo

This is the type of player the Rangers should have on their 4th line.

little ball of non-stop energy that hits everything in site and knows his role as protector regardless of his size.

This is the type of energetic player that can spark some life into this team.

Yeah, I get it that our problems are scoring, but we also have this passivity about us and a guy like this can come in and change that.

He's got as many points as Pyatt does (zero) and is ONLY a -1 whereas Pyatt is a -7

He's faster than Pyatt, actually engages the opposition.

Guys that can skate and hit and generally disrupt the opposition.

And historically has produced similar numbers to Pyatt.

Lets stop getting these soft minded guys on the team and get guys in here that WANT to engage the opposition on a physical level.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think 4th liners should get over 1.5. If that was the case they would have resigned Prust.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wanted Tootoo when he was a UFA. He signed the same year as Prust.

If they could dump Pyatt on them or Asham with them retaining a small portion (say 200k) I'd gladly take him on this team. He takes some bad penalties at times, but he is a true energy agitator.

I have liked his game for a while. He just doesn't fit in Detroit.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't think 4th liners should get over 1.5. If that was the case they would have resigned Prust.

Tootoo is as much a 3rd liner as is Pyatt.

Now, we can all argue and debate wether either belong on the 3rd line, but the fact is that when Tootoo is not putting up points, he is still having an impact on the game.

That cannot be said about Pyatt.

And 2.5 for Prust over 3 years or 1.9 for Tootoo for this year is a HUGE difference.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Tootoo is as much a 3rd liner as is Pyatt.

Now, we can all argue and debate wether either belong on the 3rd line, but the fact is that when Tootoo is not putting up points, he is still having an impact on the game.

That cannot be said about Pyatt.

And 2.5 for Prust over 3 years or 1.9 for Tootoo for this year is a HUGE difference.

Tootoo is signed for 1 more year after this one. I'd still take him and play him on the 4th line.

Punxrocknyc19*

I wanted Tootoo when he was a UFA. He signed the same year as Prust.

If they could dump Pyatt on them or Asham with them retaining a small portion (say 200k) I'd gladly take him on this team. He takes some bad penalties at times, but he is a true energy agitator.

I have liked his game for a while. He just doesn't fit in Detroit.

how about a tough guy with size that can fight.. not another under small forward fighter that no one is afraid of :help: no need for Hollweg 2.0

rather have someone like Abdelkader if they are looking for grit from the Red Wings...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
how about a tough guy with size that can fight.. not another under small forward fighter that no one is afraid of :help: no need for Hollweg 2.0

rather have someone like Abdelkader...

Tootoo is a pretty highly regarded fighter, especially for his size. He also delivers crushing checks and can be an effective forechecker. Is he John Scott? Of course not, but the guy is a much better player than any heavyweight out there except maybe Shawn Thornton.

This team should look into adding him.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Still think Tootoo would be a great addition for this team. Though someone has to go, may a be 3rd enough?

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

Still think Tootoo would be a great addition for this team. Though someone has to go, may a be 3rd enough?

Tootoo stinks... much rather have someone like Matt Beleksey or a Kyle Clifford type player... a better all round player with size that actually uses it...

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Tootoo would be a great addition to a team that need a little more umph from the bottom-six despite playing well otherwise.

Tootoo does nothing for this team as currently constructed. Does adding him to this abortion roster of injured players, and borderline NHLers, suddenly make the team better?

No.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Michael Del Zotto for Ryan Ellis and a 2nd, or expanded. Ellis has looked decent this year and has a great shot, but Nashville is overloaded on right defensemen and that problem will get worse when Josi comes back. 1 year younger than DZ. On the smallish side, but is coming along.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Michael Del Zotto for Ryan Ellis and a 2nd, or expanded. Ellis has looked decent this year and has a great shot, but Nashville is overloaded on right defensemen and that problem will get worse when Josi comes back. 1 year younger than DZ. On the smallish side, but is coming along.

No way. Del Zotto is definitely better than Ellis. Del Zotto should not be moved unless it's for top six help.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No way. Del Zotto is definitely better than Ellis. Del Zotto should not be moved unless it's for top six help.

Well, I did say "or expanded"

Ellis is primarily a victim of depth in Nashville right now. First it was Weber and Josi ahead of him. Now Seth Jones has been put ahead of him as well. In a circumstance where he could actually get a bunch of PP time, I think he'd excel. I also think he's on the cusp of really establishing himself in this league.

Nashville is in somewhat of a similar situation to the Rangers, but in reverse. They have Weber, Josi, Jones and Ellis who they want to give time to on the right. Plus Kevin Klein. You know who they have as a top-4 caliber D as a lefty? No one. The Rangers have Staal, McDonagh, Del Zotto, and Moore who are left D and they've basically been forced to push one over to the right... with doubtful success. They'd do well to bring in another righty... and one who can shoot the puck on the powerplay especially. Plus, it would allow us to think more seriously about potentially moving Girardi at the deadline, if it came to that.

The value of Ellis+2nd might be somewhat short, but the idea is sound, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad