Speculation: Where does Ullmark go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I think Chychrun straight up be equal.
I don’t think so, Chychrun had a rough year, is injury prone, and will be looking for a payday. Chychrun plus pick 25 is probably equal value but I would prefer a single, better asset instead of two nickels for a dime.

Reactions: dangermike

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I don’t think so, Chychrun had a rough year, is injury prone, and will be looking for a payday. Chychrun plus pick 25 is probably equal value but I would prefer a single, better asset instead of two nickels for a dime.

History doesn't agree with your opinion. That's substantially more than what goalies typically get traded for.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Everybody says that but a 4 years older and much worse Markstrom just got a late first and a third pair D.

Considering Calgary is paying a good chunk of Markstrom's salary next season, the return was fair. Nothing outrageous about that trade at all.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Considering Calgary is paying a good chunk of Markstrom's salary next season, the return was fair. Nothing outrageous about that trade at all.
Of course there isn’t anything outrageous about that deal. I am simply saying that Ullmark is much more valuable than Markstrom due to age and performance.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Of course there isn’t anything outrageous about that deal. I am simply saying that Ullmark is much more valuable than Markstrom due to age and performance.

I don't disagree, but there's also a premium on the Markstrom price due to salary retention as mentioned previously. You need to take that into account when you jump from a 1st + a young 3rd pairing D that was paid for Markstrom to your idea of a 1st + Chychrun for Ullmark.

I think Ullmark will get a slightly better return overall vs Markstrom, but not to the degree you're talking about.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't disagree, but there's also a premium on the Markstrom price due to salary retention as mentioned previously. You need to take that into account when you jump from a 1st + a young 3rd pairing D that was paid for Markstrom to your idea of a 1st + Chychrun for Ullmark.

I think Ullmark will get a slightly better return overall vs Markstrom, but not to the degree you're talking about.
Chychrun is a UFA with a preferred set of teams he will reup with coming off a rough year. A late 1st in a shallow draft isn’t a crazy make up in value piece in the slightest.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Chychrun is a UFA with a preferred set of teams he will reup with coming off a rough year. A late 1st in a shallow draft isn’t a crazy make up in value piece in the slightest.

You're downplaying what Chychrun's value is, he's also on a hell of a contract for the next year which contenders value. He's not worth what Ottawa paid last year, but I still think he has late 1st in value being conservative (no doubt he'd get that at a minimum at the trade deadline if he's kept). So yes, two assets worth 1sts is crazy make up according to historical precedent for trading goalies.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
You're downplaying what Chychrun's value is, he's also on a hell of a contract for the next year which contenders value. He's not worth what Ottawa paid last year, but I still think he has late 1st in value being conservative (no doubt he'd get that at a minimum at the trade deadline if he's kept). So yes, two assets worth 1sts is crazy make up according to historical precedent for trading goalies.
Markstrom was seemingly also far more flexible with his trade destination (and has 2yrs left, so whether he will sign an extension isnt a factor)

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I just want the Ullmark situation to be resolved . He certainly has trade value we can debate how much, but the quicker it is resolved the sooner other move can be made

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I dunno man. Average goalies like Keumpfer, Markstrom, Jones, etc have gone for firsts in recent memory. Ullmark is elite and it’s a shallow draft. Bruins are likely going to have to take Forsberg back too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dunno man. Average goalies like Keumpfer, Markstrom, Jones, etc have gone for firsts in recent memory. Ullmark is elite and it’s a shallow draft. Bruins are likely going to have to take Forsberg back too.

When Kuemper went for a first, he had a .921 sv% over the prior 4 seasons mostly in Arz which was tied for 2nd in the league over that stretch, that's pretty similar to Ullmark over a similar time frame.

Kuemper is actually a pretty comparable trade imo, though there are some differences, he played on a poor team, so there wasn't the question of whether he was the product of the D in front of him, and unlike with Ullmark, it doesn't appear as though an extension was a consideration.

I like Ullmark more than Kuemper at that time, but Kuemper wasn't some average goalie when Colorado traded for him, he was getting votes for the Vezina while playing in Arz and on the all star team.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Chychrun is 26 and will be a consistent 50 pt+ LD
Played all 82 last year. Got screwed around playing on his off side changing partners etc. still had 41 pts

Add a 4th if needed

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Chychrun is 26 and will be a consistent 50 pt+ LD
Played all 82 last year. Got screwed around playing on his off side changing partners etc. still had 41 pts

Add a 4th if needed
If Chychrun become a Bs he s becoming the 2nd best D in this team no to say the best one, not far from the 73, better than Stallion on the PP can drive the PP, a elite slapshot

Reactions: swiftwin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad