Speculation: Where does Ullmark go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think a reliable goalie is key to maintaining a teams composure, and confidence. It's more important to me that a goalie can consistently give you a chance to win, rather than that he can steal games. My personal take is Ulmark fits the former mold, but maybe not the second to the degree that his numbers might suggest. I just wouldn't want to be the team that pays for the latter, and gets the former without the consistency

Ullmark in Boston has been consistently giving them a chance to win as well as stealing some games along the way.

But goalies just seem to excel in Boston. They’ve had a long run of goalies who are usually in the Vezina conversation going back 15+ years.

Did they just happen to draft/acquire top tier goalies multiple times over that stretch? Possibly. If so their amateur/pro goalie scouts deserve a huge raise.

I am curious to see how Ullmark performs when he leaves Boston

Reactions: Micklebot

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I'm sure whatever the return is, it will underwhelm. He's a great goalie, but goalies just dont seem to go for as much of a premium as everyone expects them to.
This is it exactly. I am a big Bruins fan, I want them to get a big return for him, but based on goaltender trade history, Ullmark’s contract situation, and his NTC, I have been saying for months we are looking at a 2nd rounder at best, most likely a 3rd rounder.

• Haha
Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
You didn’t watch many Bruins games this past season did you. The reason why their numbers look good is because Ullmark and Swayman were so good. Why do I get the feeling Ullmark’s reputation gets ripped apart because he was with some terrible Buffalo teams?

Ullmark is a great goalie. Only 30 years old and with an extension I’m sure Boston can get quite a bit
He is a very good goalie, but don't expect a monster return. Goalies never return as much in trades. Saros would be an exception to this rule and I'm sure he would cost an arm and a leg.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Ullmark in Boston has been consistently giving them a chance to win as well as stealing some games along the way.

But goalies just seem to excel in Boston. They’ve had a long run of goalies who are usually in the Vezina conversation going back 15+ years.

Did they just happen to draft/acquire top tier goalies multiple times over that stretch? Possibly. If so their amateur/pro goalie scouts deserve a huge raise.

I am curious to see how Ullmark performs when he leaves Boston
Have to give some flowers to Bob Essensa, the goalie coach. Maybe we’ve been lucky/good at drafting and pro scouting, but he’s consistently been able to develop and elevate goalies at various stages of their career.

Reactions: wintersej

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is it exactly. I am a big Bruins fan, I want them to get a big return for him, but based on goaltender trade history, Ullmark’s contract situation, and his NTC, I have been saying for months we are looking at a 2nd rounder at best, most likely a 3rd rounder.
I think you're underselling what he'll return, but on the bright side, at least whatever happens you aren't likely to be disappointed.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He is a very good goalie, but don't expect a monster return. Goalies never return as much in trades. Saros would be an exception to this rule and I'm sure he would cost an arm and a leg.

Ullmark and Saros are the same age with the same career stats… except for games played, of course. I think Ullmark is the smarter move, frankly, because he would cost less assets, less $$ and would give you similar performance for 15 fewer games.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Markstrom just got a first and a bottom pair defenseman. How in the world does Ullmark get at best a second? Ullmark is flat out better and 4 years younger.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Ullmark and Saros are the same age with the same career stats… except for games played, of course. I think Ullmark is the smarter move, frankly, because he would cost less assets, less $$ and would give you similar performance for 15 fewer games.
I hope the Sens land Ullmark, I really like him. And he would definitely cost less than Saros. But I think Saros is definitely on a different level. I think he's a top 2 or 3 goalie in the world.

Reactions: Gifu

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel like the "cost less assets and less $$" aspect should be true, but it really seems like the expectations from some are that it won't be true.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Why would Ullmark cost less than Markstrom? He’s younger, less wear and tear and I think he’s a better goalie. If Markstrom got a 1st and a prospect, Ullmark gets at least that.

IMO a 1st, lower tier pick and a prospect from Ottawa gets it done

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Why would Ullmark cost less than Markstrom? He’s younger, less wear and tear and I think he’s a better goalie. If Markstrom got a 1st and a prospect, Ullmark gets at least that
Markstrom is cost controlled for a year longer than Ullmark. Ullmark has a 15 team no trade list, cutting eligible trade partner pool in half. And the first is for next year, should be in the high 20s. We’ll be looking at a 2nd in this years draft at best. Likely a third.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Markstrom is cost controlled for a year longer than Ullmark. Ullmark has a 15 team no trade list, cutting eligible trade partner pool in half. And the first is for next year, should be in the high 20s. We’ll be looking at a 2nd in this years draft at best. Likely a third.
Yeah but I’m going to assume any team he agrees to go to will line up an extension for him. I don’t see Ottawa taking 1 year of Ullmark

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A top 10 protected first in NEXT year’s draft. Should be in the high 20s or so. Also, Markstrom is cost controlled for an additional year.
Cost controlled is missing a bit of the real selling point, Markstrom will be @ 4.125 for the next two seasons, that's on the low end for starters.

So, if you believe in him and think he can be the .922 guy from 2022 rather than what he's been the last two years that's a fantastic value deal (imo he's been a bit inconsistent which could be age, could have been a health thing or could be in part the team in front of him)

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany

I think your way off with this. Ullmark will bringt back a first round pick for sure as he is the best goalie available right now and there are many teams that need an upgrade in net. One year removed from vezina, 30 year old goalies who even played great on a shitty team (Buffalo) have more value than a first round pick in an average draft. NTC is limiting the teams he can be traded to but he wouldn´t be the first player to waive for a team on his list.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah but I’m going to assume any team he agrees to go to will line up an extension for him. I don’t see Ottawa taking 1 year of Ullmark

Ottawa of all teams has been burned without extensions in place multiple times now. Now, of course, no official extension can happen before the draft, but to think they won’t know his general terms before the deal would be naive as hell.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
As I stated in the Sens thread, Sweeney or any GM of that matter would never allow their player to negotiate a contract with another team unless the parameters of a deal are already in place .

We very likely have an agreed upon deal here folks
I’m not sure if the issue is the terms of the contract extension or that Boston hasn’t given the team permission to speak with him yet.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’m not sure if the issue is the terms of the contract extension or that Boston hasn’t given the team permission to speak with him yet.
Fair enough and good point. But if Boston wants to maximize their return they would allow negotiations to take place .

Staois can’t afford to make the same mistakes that Dorion did .

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Fair enough and good point. But if Boston wants to maximize their return they would allow negotiations to take place .

Staois can’t afford to make the same mistakes that Dorion did .
Hard to be worse than Dorian.

• Haha
Reactions: DJB

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I think the Markstrom trades largely provides a baseline for an Ullmark trade. I'm not sure how much greater it is.

There are so many more things at work than how good a guy is. Before the markstrom trade, I had mentioned before that I was really curious to see how each of the returns shake out because I really wasn't positive who was going to get more. I think it's going to be Ullmark, but I'm not 100% on it and even if I do like the return more, I just don't think it'll be that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad