• Anaheim

Votes: 53 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Flip coin between BUF and NJ , maybe MTL

If Byram can stay healthy and if Power hit his ceilling, they will have a nasty D with Dhalin

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think there’s wide variance on people’s impression of what ‘future’ entails. Buffalo has a great top 4 of 24-and-unders that will likely still be there and not past-prime in 3 years … by that definition they’ll have a strong short term future d corps.

But people whose view of future is a little more long term (focusing mainly on players under 22 and players not even in the league yet) would disregard most of Buffalo’s existing young but established core and be noticing the absence of pending breakthrough players.

"Prime" for a defenseman can come much later. Many of them have their best years beyond the age of 30, the Norris Trophy has often gone to an older D.

So of course we could have a separate conversation about who has the best 22 and under group, but if we want to talk about future more broadly, then players like Dahlin have to be included. He could be the best D in the league in 2033 (see Roman Josi this year, he's 33). That's not a short term outlook.

So we should absolutely be looking at players in their mid 20s. I'd consider the Rangers (Fox + K'Andre Miller and Braden Schneider), the Jackets (Werenski + Mateychuk + Jiricek) and Stars (Heiskanen + Harley + Bichsel) among others.

Blackhawks : Levshunov Vlasic Korchinski Del Mastro Rinzel Allan Kaiser Phillips , A mix of everything , size , skill , speed , offence , defence

Vlasic is supplying the defense here, and he's already looking great. I'm not seeing it with Korchinski and Levshunov, I think those guys were overdrafted. In my mind they still don't have a real great offensive catalyst in the system.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Montreal:
Guhle- Mailloux
Hutson- Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Engstrom
Struble-Konyushkov
Harris- Barron
Protz

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I really don't think I'm being a homer here by saying it's pretty clearly the Devils. Other teams might have us beat by having some better depth pieces but I really don't give much of a shit about depth prospect pieces. I don't see how anyone really matches up to a Luke/Nemec/Silayev/Casey top 4. I mean like maybe Buffalo if Byram ends up really hitting but even then I give the Devils an edge and the Sabres ones are also all lefties. I really like the Wings top 3 of Seider, Edvinsson, ASP but the Devils still better. I think if the Wings were a bit worse and they were the ones to grab Silayev then that top 4 especially defensively between Seider, Edvinsson, and Silayev would've been absurd.

Good chance that that Seamus Casey becomes a really good offensive defenseman for the Devils as well.

He's wayyyyy better defensively than people give him credit for as well. We'll see how the defense translates at higher levels but he definitely knows how to defend and there's literally not a better partner for him than Silayev and Casey's a great partner for Silayev

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Luke Hughes- Nemec
Silayev - Casey
Misyul- Hatakka
Barabosha

Sure not the greatest depth after the top four but I think them and a couple others can become 3rd pairing defenseman and its not like the Devils need them to be anything more then that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Eight years from now, Makar, Heiskanen, Dahlin, and Quinn Hughes will be roughly the same age as Roman Josi is now. And he almost won another Norris this year.

It is farcical to discuss who the best future D corp will be and leave those players out of it. There's a good chance that those guys will continue to be better than Luke, Nemec, Hutson, etc...

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Calgary has a lot of upside long term but we aren't near cracking this list yet. Need at least 2 years before we enter this conversation.

Devils currently. The rest of the thread has done a good job of covering the 4-5 other teams, but I'm surprised to not see Minnesota anywhere in this thread with Faber/Buium. I don't know the rest of their outlook though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What do we mean by future?

Lol at people saying montreal. After their top couple guys it's just depth nobody cares about that can be replaced pretty easily.
That is a straight lie. Guhle, DR and Hutson are legit top 15ish u23 Ds in the league (asset wise).

Then there's Mailloux, Bogdan Konyushkov, Engstrom, Xhekaj that are all pretty special.

Barron, Harris, Struble, Protz are the "names", yet they're still about as good as most teams 5th D prospect.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
If Levshunov, Korchinski and Rinzel live up to their draft positions, I like Chicago's top 4 a lot.

All 6'2" and up and can skate.
Yes. And Vlasic is 6’6” and already a defensive animal, easily a 2D right now. Might be a bit too limited offensively to be considered a true 1D, but he’s still young enough to develop it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad