Votes: 25 6.3%
  • Anaheim

Votes: 53 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rogking65

May 13, 2016
1. New Jersey
I just love the depth they have in this position. Casey, Hughes, Nemec, and Silayev is just a great core of prospects.

2. Buffalo
Buffalo had Dahlin who is still young, Owen Power who I’ve never been super high on, and Mattias Samuelsson who is decent. The rest of their prospects McCarthy, Strbak, Kleber, and Ryan Johnson aren’t bad prospects, but nothing to get super excited about at this point. However, if Power can live up to his draft position, you don’t need guys with huge upside to form a great D-Core.

3. Montreal
I don’t feel that Montreal really has that minute munching #1 D in their system that would put them higher on this list. Make no mistake, Lane Hutson, David Reinbacher, Logan Mallioux, Kaiden Guhle, and Arber Xhekej would be a rock solid top top 6.

4. Detroit
Detroit is a team with a lot of good defensive prospects on paper. Obviously, Moritz Sieder will be their number one for a long time. Simon Edvinsson, Axel Sandin-Pellika, Shai Buium, William Wallinder, Albert Johansson, and Brady Cleveland is an interesting mix of players. I still feel like I’m waiting to see some of these guys step up and show their potential.

5. Columbus
Columbus has some great prospects in their system. David Jiricek is obviously the first name that comes to mind, but they have some solid guys in the system. Denton Mateychuk, Carson Ceulemans, Stanislav Svozil, Andrew Strathmann, and Samuel Knazko are all players with decent potential. I like their prospects on D.
forgetting Byram

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Montreal fans just throwing out a ton of names completely reminds me of Philly years back pushing real hard saying Provorov/Gostisbehere/Myers/Sanheim was going to be the next top group in the league. Its pretty much going back to Majors point that a D group needs vets/externals additions and if you are banking on the majority of your prospects to hit you'll likely be very disappointed

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Montreal fans just throwing out a ton of names completely reminds me of Philly years back pushing real hard saying Provorov/Gostisbehere/Myers/Sanheim was going to be the next top group in the league. Its pretty much going back to Majors point that a D group needs vets/externals additions and if you are banking on the majority of your prospects to hit you'll likely be very disappointed
Well it's an actual good group so it's funny.

With that said, Guhle is already better than all of them, Reinbacher is a 5th overall and Hutson is at worse going to be Gost level. Myers shouldn't be too hard to beat.

Reactions: viceroy

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Well it's an actual good group so it's funny.

With that said, Guhle is already better than all of them, Reinbacher is a 5th overall and Hutson is at worse going to be Gost level. Myers shouldn't be too hard to beat.
Its an ok group but a far cry from being among the best in the league.

Im glad people like Guhle but hes still got some developing to do to reach the level some fans claim he is. Ultimately I see Montreal like Philly back then. Where is the high end #1 guy? I suppose major development could happen with 1 of them but I dont see that one that guy you can throw on the ice for 25 minutes in any situation. Philly also had a high pick defender that I absolutely loved watching in junior with Provorov who I thought would be that guy but turns out nothing is guarenteed and its a hard thing to find

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its an ok group but a far cry from being among the best in the league.

Im glad people like Guhle but hes still got some developing to do to reach the level some fans claim he is. Ultimately I see Montreal like Philly back then. Where is the high end #1 guy? I suppose major development could happen with 1 of them but I dont see that one that guy you can throw on the ice for 25 minutes in any situation. Philly also had a high pick defender that I absolutely loved watching in junior with Provorov who I thought would be that guy but turns out nothing is guarenteed and its a hard thing to find
Guhle is pretty high end. His offensive production is very good at 5v5 and the only reason he isn't seen as a "1D" is because Matheson gets the PP time.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I really like Nemec and Hughes in NJ, and for some reason I see that organization as being more "put together" than Buffalo, which was my second choice, and which should have arguably already been off this list as a "now" defense rather than a "future" defense - Buffalo seems further along with less to show for it, but their two 1st-overall picks are hard to ignore.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
:wild

Faber

Buium

Daemon Hunt
Peart
Lambos
Ryan O'Rourke
Spacek

Healey
Kaleem Parker
Pionk
Masters
Khiviharju
Soini

Everyone after Hunt is a "maybe" to make the NHL, but I'm seeing posts on here listing every D prospect as if they are sure things, so thought I'd get into the act. I mean, Buium can always end up disappointing and be nothing more than a 3rd pairing offensive D. Faber is the only sure thing.

Buffalo and OTT look to have really good talent, but those teams also have a history of chewing up and spitting out Dmen(and goalies) because of the poor defensive structure in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
:wild

Faber

Buium

Daemon Hunt
Peart
Lambos
Ryan O'Rourke
Spacek

Healey
Kaleem Parker
Pionk
Masters

Everyone after Hunt is a "maybe" to make the NHL, but I'm seeing posts on here listing every D prospect as if they are sure things, so thought I'd get into the act. I mean, Buium can always end up disappointing and be nothing more than a 3rd pairing offensive D. Faber is the only sure thing.

Buffalo and OTT look to have really good talent, but those teams also have a history of chewing up and spitting out Dmen(and goalies) because of the poor defensive structure in place.
Buium and faber gunna be the best 1-2 in the league in 2-3 years

• Haha
Reactions: HawksDub89

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The ducks have a ton of guys with promise but no sure thing yet. It is going to be a bit of wait and see with them because their d core is so young.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Guhle is pretty high end. His offensive production is very good at 5v5 and the only reason he isn't seen as a "1D" is because Matheson gets the PP time.
His offensive production 5on5 is nothing special. It's below Xhekaj. His goal production is about the same as Jordan Harris and his pts/60 is only marginally better.

He's a good D, but he is overrated.

Reactions: Haatley

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think this time next year my answer might be Montreal, but as for now I chose Buffalo because they're more proven. Salivating at the idea of Guhle-Mailloux Hutson-Reinbacher in a couple years though

Hawks and Habs I feel like both have insane depth but New Jersey and Buffalo have a couple pieces that I think are already pretty proven high end pieces and those are the hardest slots to fill. On the other hand, Buffalo's d-core is the most unbalanced with nobody but Dahlin being capable of playing right side and everyone but Samuelsson leaning heavily to offense - so if I hadn't clicked it already I might switch to New Jersey lol

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Even then Buffalo's Dcore is very unbalanced reminds me of last year of when Sens had a supposed deep blueline but had too much unbalance. Byram, Dahlin, and Power are too similar of players (Especially Byram and Power being very raw but not very intelligent players). Samuelsson is nice, but he's one player and he gets injured often.
This is fair, but they're also the only team that already has 4 top 4 D who are 24 or under. Also I can't remember his name, but that Russian kid from Drummondville is an all around RHD and I think will be a bigger factor in their future than people expect

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You’re right, we’ve never had a good defenseman we’ve drafted ever.

As for the OP, I go with NJ. I love Silayev and would have been ecstatic if we had taken him at 3.
This reads like extreme sarcasm but genuinely who is the best drafted and developed D in Anaheim history? Cam Fowler?

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Montréal has Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux and Engström, with Guhle already graduated

We have a bunch others too, but those 5 are probably the best we have
Habs d corp look ok, but id rate 4 or 5 other teams well above them.

Chi
Buf
Nj
Ana
Det
Maybe even cjb

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
One of Buffalo, NJ, or maybe Montreal.

Gun to my head, I'd say NJ over Buffalo, then Montreal in 3rd.
My question is where are the Ducks here?

Of those 3 I'm taking the Sabers, NJ, Montreal but the Ducks could be #1 when it's all said and done.

Columbus as well.

Blackhawks : Levshunov Vlasic Korchinski Del Mastro Rinzel Allan Kaiser Phillips , A mix of everything , size , skill , speed , offence , defence
While I like these guys as a group, I don't see a consistent top 10 Norris candidate here and that's important in these evaluations.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
This reads like extreme sarcasm but genuinely who is the best drafted and developed D in Anaheim history? Cam Fowler?
He’s up there. I’d take Lindholm over him though. The point is we’ve drafted and developed plenty of defenseman, so the poster claiming they only get good once they’ve been traded from Anaheim is a shit take. I’m sure they are alluding to Montour and Theodore. Montour was straight up mistake, we let go too early, but Theodore was an expansion draft mistake because Murray gave Bieksa the world because he was Kesler’s bestie.

Reactions: Yemeth

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His offensive production 5on5 is nothing special. It's below Xhekaj. His goal production is about the same as Jordan Harris and his pts/60 is only marginally better.

He's a good D, but he is overrated.
That's crazy. If you think that Guhle and Jordan f***ing Harris are in the same stratosphere offensively, it just tells me you haven't been watching hockey at all.

Guhle produced 20 5v5 points in 70 games while playing some of the toughest minutes in the league and doing that on his offside. That's more than Pietrangelo, Hughes, Parayko, Sanderson, Chabot, Lindholm, Montour and two less than Seider. He is most certainly not overrated, he's quite underrated.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think anyone can top Buffalo.

Dahlin
Byram
Power
Komarov
Samuelsson
Strbak
Johnson
Mccarthy
Kleber
Novikov

That's a pretty good and deep core, they also have the 2-3 best players out.of anyone. I'm a lot higher on Komarov than most too.

I know I would trade the Habs Dcore for the Sabres Dcore straight up, not sure I would for any other Dcore.

The thing is though, they're already pretty "old". What does future mean? Next 10? It's them. Next 15? Probably not.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That's crazy. If you think that Guhle and Jordan f***ing Harris are in the same stratosphere offensively, it just tells me you haven't been watching hockey at all.

Guhle produced 20 5v5 points in 70 games while playing some of the toughest minutes in the league and doing that on his offside. That's more than Pietrangelo, Hughes, Parayko, Sanderson, Chabot, Lindholm, Montour and two less than Seider. He is most certainly not overrated, he's quite underrated.
Crazy or not, what I said was true.

Guhle .2 g/60, .73 a/60
Harris .21 g/60 .64 a/60

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad