SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
look at all those holes!

there's no path forward for the current regime is there? i hope someone knowledgeable and trustworthy has Lukendas ear. this sucks.

can someone do a wellness check on Fischhaber?
A Gibson trade is a must. I'd assume giving him up would net at least 2 2nds back. Hopefully more. Allard and Schenkel are musts. This was apparent before the two whiffs on our top 2 picks. Noel Nordh reporting is huge, as he now needs to be shopped as well. The only way out of this now is to move forward with an actual rebuild type year, something Raftis has never really done. Hopefully this is the light bulb the organization needs.

I agree with the opinions about Martin and Hayes. Unless they want out, focus al moves on trying to keep them happy. Also, Mignosa and Cloutier could be shopped but they might be more valuable in their OA year than any return we could get for them imo. Plus our depth at forward is absolutely non existant lol.

Last edited:

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
A Gibson trade is a must. I'd assume giving him up would net at least 2 2nds back. Hopefully more. Allard and Schenkel are musts. This was apparent before the two whiffs on our top 2 picks. Noel Nordh reporting is huge, as he now needs to be shopped as well. The only way out of this now is to move forward with an actual rebuild type year, something Raftis has never really done. Hopefully this is the light bulb the organization needs.

I agree with the opinions about Martin and Hayes. Unless they want out, focus al moves on trying to keep them happy. Also, Mignosa and Cloutier could be shopped but they might be more valuable in their OA year than any return we could get for them imo. Plus our depth at forward is absolutely non existant lol.

If you’re not getting a 08 back for Gibson you’re not doing your job. He will be the best defenseman available at the deadline, in my opinion.

For me they need to move Charlie, Allard, Gibson, Mignosa. If Nordh reports and Allard is moved, I can see Utah wanting both moved.

They need to move everything they can that gets them assets and as much assets as they can get. They need to move on from Cali now, not later. They need to do the complete opposite of everything they’ve ever done.

We also better hope to god Brady Martins agent hasn’t already started the process..

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you’re not getting a 08 back for Gibson you’re not doing your job. He will be the best defenseman available at the deadline, in my opinion.

For me they need to move Charlie, Allard, Gibson, Mignosa. If Nordh reports and Allard is moved, I can see Utah wanting both moved.

They need to move everything they can that gets them assets and as much assets as they can get. They need to move on from Cali now, not later. They need to do the complete opposite of everything they’ve ever done.

We also better hope to god Brady Martins agent hasn’t already started the process..

Without a good trade companion, not all of Gibson, Andonovski, Barlow, Musty, Romani, …are returning an ‘08-1st. A couple of buyers don’t even have one to offer at this time.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i realize i'm preaching to the choir but it's going to require a big sell just to undo the damage, let alone get our 'cupboards' where they should be.

Reactions: staubitz

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Soo Greyhounds have yet to congratulate him

They did this morning! Maybe they saw your post!

Regardless of all this drama in the background, it's always special to see our guys compete and succeed in international hockey. Congrats to Travis Hayes as well, unfortunately they both can't win but sadly he plays for the wrong country :P

Reactions: JoeSchmo

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
All about needs. If they feel they need more draft picks then they’d go that route just like how Kitchener did that with Rehkopf. Would make sense though to build around the 07 group I think so getting 09 draft picks wouldn’t make too much sense. Maybe they trade for an 07 or 2 rather than the 08 or more picks. They'll have the 2 09 first rounders this coming draft anyways
He’s been there for 1 year. He will play way more this year- definitely in the top 6 same with Hayes. They’ll be fine. Only way they’d probably be pissed off about that is if they are still 3rd/4th line. Those 2 are the future that’s for sure. Got 2 real good forwards. Now just gotta get more and another d man to go with Evans and Virgilio who are both 17 turning 18 I believe

Think in Martin and Hayes’ 19 year old years is when you guys will be big contenders again. Just sucks about the 08s here. Hopefully for your sake some surprise in their rookie seasons. Big gaping hole though with nobody in the top 3 rounds

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Without a good trade companion, not all of Gibson, Andonovski, Barlow, Musty, Romani, …are returning an ‘08-1st. A couple of buyers don’t even have one to offer at this time.

I wouldn't say the priority has to be getting an '08-1st. Any highly touted prospect from '07 or '08 and/or future 2nd's/3rd's would be nice to see.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I wouldn't say the priority has to be getting an '08-1st. Any highly touted prospect from '07 or '08 and/or future 2nd's/3rd's would be nice to see.
If the fronts are going all in- could see weir being a piece to the puzzle if they were to try and get Gibson. Also have 2 fairly promising 07’s in Velliaris and Mondoux- would be able to trade 1 of them too

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If the fronts are going all in- could see weir being a piece to the puzzle if they were to try and get Gibson. Also have 2 fairly promising 07’s in Velliaris and Mondoux- would be able to trade 1 of them too
struggle is if another team can offer an 08, kingston cant. gibson will be one of the top 2 options on the trade market for D, it will be interesting to see if oshawa or brantford move an 08 for either of them.

i think oshawa is hunting for an oa d right now

Reactions: frontsfan67

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024

Sure would help though…

Jordan Charron has committed to St Lawrence University

I was hoping he was signing with the Soo. Yikes.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
All about needs. If they feel they need more draft picks then they’d go that route just like how Kitchener did that with Rehkopf. Would make sense though to build around the 07 group I think so getting 09 draft picks wouldn’t make too much sense. Maybe they trade for an 07 or 2 rather than the 08 or more picks. They'll have the 2 09 first rounders this coming draft anyways

He’s been there for 1 year. He will play way more this year- definitely in the top 6 same with Hayes. They’ll be fine. Only way they’d probably be pissed off about that is if they are still 3rd/4th line. Those 2 are the future that’s for sure. Got 2 real good forwards. Now just gotta get more and another d man to go with Evans and Virgilio who are both 17 turning 18 I believe

Think in Martin and Hayes’ 19 year old years is when you guys will be big contenders again. Just sucks about the 08s here. Hopefully for your sake some surprise in their rookie seasons. Big gaping hole though with nobody in the top 3 rounds
Would live to have virgilio. If he was a hound lol

• Haha
Reactions: frontsfan67

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Would live to have virgilio. If he was a hound lol

That was a weird trade. It seems like he could have been moved last year at the deadline for some veteran help as opposed to in the off-season but I realize things may have changed for him/the team after the season was over.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That was a weird trade. It seems like he could have been moved last year at the deadline for some veteran help as opposed to in the off-season but I realize things may have changed for him/the team after the season was over.
I think you guys still did fairly well on that trade

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I think you guys still did fairly well on that trade

Ya I mean he parlayed a 4th round selection into 4 picks so you can't complain there, the timing of the deal was just odd considering an argument could have been made that he could have been dealt pre-deadline to bolster our playoff lineup. In the long run I'd prefer the picks especially after how our draft went lol.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ya I mean he parlayed a 4th round selection into 4 picks so you can't complain there, the timing of the deal was just odd considering an argument could have been made that he could have been dealt pre-deadline to bolster our playoff lineup. In the long run I'd prefer the picks especially after how our draft went lol.
i don’t know if the selling teams like flint had much interest

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo

that's great news! i'm very interested to see how he stacks up in the OHL this fall, and where the hounds can get him in his development.

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023
that's great news! i'm very interested to see how he stacks up in the OHL this fall, and where the hounds can get him in his development.
Yes another young RH D to add to roster, will be very interesting to see how the D play out at camp. Really concerned about filling out our forward core tho. No depth, hoping we found some FA gems.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i might be alone on this but i have no concerns about this season beyond rebuilding so a lack of forward depth this season doesn't concern me. worst case scenario the organization trades assets to make up for our lack of scoring in order to make the playoffs.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
i might be alone on this but i have no concerns about this season beyond rebuilding so a lack of forward depth this season doesn't concern me. worst case scenario the organization trades assets to make up for our lack of scoring in order to make the playoffs.
Agreed. We should hope to get a good 08 and a haul for gibby. An 07 at worst, and whatever picks we can get for Allard and Charlie.

Declare Cali defective now, take the extra 1st and trade him at the next deadline.

If nordh comes, trade him as well for a couple of picks if we can. We will need a ton of picks to make up for the lack of good 08s. It can be done, but it won't be easy

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Agreed. We should hope to get a good 08 and a haul for gibby. An 07 at worst, and whatever picks we can get for Allard and Charlie.

Declare Cali defective now, take the extra 1st and trade him at the next deadline.

If nordh comes, trade him as well for a couple of picks if we can. We will need a ton of picks to make up for the lack of good 08s. It can be done, but it won't be easy
Well I hope Cali is not defective! Defected maybe? And if you declare him defected he can only be moved in the training camp window and only for picks.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
And if you declare him defected he can only be moved in the training camp window and only for picks.

thanks for the info O.O.

picks sound great lol! is there a precedent for what kind of return a non-reporting 1st rounder would get (not including the 2025 1st if he was declared defected)? for argument sake let's assume he's open to reporting to one of the usual suspects...

Would it be something like a later round pick with a conditional pick(s) if he reports?

@OHL4Life, any insight to offer?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3