What is Morgan Rielly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What is Morgan Rielly

• Elite #1 d-man - worth 10 million+ in market value

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Average #1 d-man - worth 9 million + in market value

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • Below average #1 d-man - worth 6-8+ million in market value

Votes: 67 20.7%
  • Elite #2 d-man - worth 6--7.5 million + in market value

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Average 2 d-man - worth 6-7 million in market value

Votes: 61 18.9%
  • Below average #2 d-man - worth 5.25 - 6 + million in market value

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Elite #3 d-man - worth 5 - 6 million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Average #3 d-man - worth 5 or so million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • flawed #3 d-man - worth 4-5 million in market value

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • #4 d-man - worth 3.0 -4.0 million in market value

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • #5 d-man - worth 1.5-3 million in market value

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • #6 d-man - worth 1-2 million in market value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #7 Tyson Barrie type d-man, don't even want him in the top 6.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
NHL 13, seriously? Don't know who you were talking about so Im not taking their side, but I think you should let that go.

You're telling us to judge the poster off of something that happened 10 years ago where a guy simply pulled out of a trade...
no it was the final straw in a series of bullshit. I was just letting that poster know to avoid that. You are right, people change. having avoided that.... for as long as you mentioned I was reminded some people dont...

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
This tweet speaks volumes

It's good to see the coaching staff picking up on it as well. I'm worried about future value of Rielly tho. If he can play somewhat sheltered minutes in a #3 / #4 role instead of a top 2 I'm sure he'll be fine. But it'll be hard to swallow that cap hit. Luckily McCabe is on a sweet deal for awhile yet.

Reactions: Deez Nuts

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It's good to see the coaching staff picking up on it as well. I'm worried about future value of Rielly tho. If he can play somewhat sheltered minutes in a #3 / #4 role instead of a top 2 I'm sure he'll be fine. But it'll be hard to swallow that cap hit. Luckily McCabe is on a sweet deal for awhile yet.
12 minutes at 5 on 5 is bottom pair not #3/#4 even with power play time.

Reactions: Pebble live

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I refuse to label a player as a #1 defenseman if they can't play defense.

He's an average/good #3 in my books. Needs to be sheltered with a defensive partner.

If the man could learn to defend a 2 on 1 my love would grow.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I refuse to label a player as a #1 defenseman if they can't play defense.

He's an average/good #3 in my books. Needs to be sheltered with a defensive partner.

If the man could learn to defend a 2 on 1 my love would grow.

If he was a #3, that means there are about 65 guys in the league better than him on defense... I sincerely doubt that.

Rielly just needs the right partner. That does not mean he needs to be "sheltered", because he doesn't need to be sheltered. But he is also not a guy who is going to make a #7 look like a top pairing defenseman. If that is your expectation for a #1, then there are <10 in the NHL (and that is being fairly generous since none of those 10 guys actually have to do that with any kind of regularity).

Rielly with Brodie is easily a #1. Brodie is not a top pairing guy on his own but he compliments Rielly extremely well. Rielly with Holl or Liljegren is still pretty good as well. Liljegren has struggled a bit recently which makes it look a little bit worse than it did earlier in the season, but Rielly-Liljegren looked really good together when he was on. Rielly-Holl is either really good or really bad depending on how you want to look at it. As a pairing, I am fairly sure they are 1st in both GF/60 and GA/60. So if you need offense, there is nobody better. If you need defense, there is nobody worse.

When Rielly has had to play with Timmins, Gustafsson or Schenn, the pairing struggles. Rielly-Gustafsson just makes no sense given their play styles. Gustafsson is a pure offensive defenseman and Rielly is not the type to gel with that kind of guy. Schenn, like Lyubushkin, is not a top 6 caliber defenseman on any good NHL team so Rielly has to carry him. Timmins is just not ready for top pairing responsibility so he also needs to be carried, but looks fine as a bottom pairing guy.

Rielly with those three included in his numbers is around 70th in GA/60 and 100th in xGA/60 out of the top 140 defensemen in 5-on-5 ice time this year. Without those three, and he's only played about 10% of his total 5-on-5 ice time with them this year, his expected numbers jump up to the mid-60's and his actual numbers would be in the top 50... And these are his "defensive numbers", where everyone says he is a complete disaster. His offensive numbers would also jump but not nearly as much.

Or if you want another example of a small sample size killing him... In his first 5 games this year, he was on the ice for 8 5-on-5 goals against with an on-ice save percentage under .800. Some could be attributed partially to him, but he was on the ice for some really bad goals by his goaltender and some really bad turnovers by his teammates. His expectation in those games is better than his season as a whole, so those numbers go down if we exclude the sample, but his actual goals against totals? He goes from 2.5 GA/60 to 2.19 GA/60 without those 5 games (he has played 57 this year)... That is a huge jump.

Since the data is mutually exclusive (Timmins, Schenn, and Gustafsson were not on the team during the first 5 games of the Leafs' season), those two events account for <20% of Rielly's 5-on-5 ice time this year. Rielly in the other >80% of his season would have a GA/60 in the top 20 in the NHL, a GF/60 in the top 40, and expected numbers in the top 50 in the Shea Theodore and Miro Heiskanen range (Heiskanen also had far more offensive zone starts than Rielly to get those numbers; Theodore, slightly fewer).

Moral of the story: Rielly, when his numbers are not skewed by a really small sample of poor play by his teammates and he is not playing with our 7/8/9 defensemen, has played like a #1 defenseman... And what can really be considered a "down" year for him offensively, he is still on pace for 56 points in a full 82 game season while, in that >80% of the season, he has played the best defensive hockey in his career by far.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
If he was a #3, that means there are about 65 guys in the league better than him on defense... I sincerely doubt that.
Nonsense. Many teams don't have legitimate first pair dmen. The question is: can Rielly compete with best dmen competition will ice in the playoffs? McAvoy, Lindholm, Hedman, Sergachev... The answer is: no. Hell, I'd trade him for Orlov without thinking twice.
Men win playoff series, not virtual ratings.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Those 4 assists when it matters most… yeah, that guy… Morgan record holder Rielly.

Reactions: Buds17

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
He's just fat.

Same issue Nylander had after the contract hold out. Came back too fat.

There's enough time left for a professional athlete to get ready for round 1 so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I honestly think he will do enough good offensively that you guys will be content with him.
Is this guy zekes new account? He pisses everyone off but everything he says ends up right

Reactions: WillNy29

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Good to see him put up a really great game. Now lets see him be consistent and keep on doing it! If he can keep putting up the points while playing decent defense the Leafs will be doing well.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
...... as I stated during the season when some wanted Rielly traded. He steps up in playoffs.

Edit: Didn't see the post above... great minds think alike

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad