What is Morgan Rielly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What is Morgan Rielly

• Elite #1 d-man - worth 10 million+ in market value

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Average #1 d-man - worth 9 million + in market value

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • Below average #1 d-man - worth 6-8+ million in market value

Votes: 67 20.7%
  • Elite #2 d-man - worth 6--7.5 million + in market value

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Average 2 d-man - worth 6-7 million in market value

Votes: 61 18.9%
  • Below average #2 d-man - worth 5.25 - 6 + million in market value

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Elite #3 d-man - worth 5 - 6 million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Average #3 d-man - worth 5 or so million in market value

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • flawed #3 d-man - worth 4-5 million in market value

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • #4 d-man - worth 3.0 -4.0 million in market value

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • #5 d-man - worth 1.5-3 million in market value

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • #6 d-man - worth 1-2 million in market value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #7 Tyson Barrie type d-man, don't even want him in the top 6.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Reilly has "im upset" body language. I bet he is whining to his team-mates about the benching. I recall him calling out fans for booing Jake Gardiner. Smart hockey fans can see that Reilly has improved very minimally since his rookie year.
So wrong ....he puts the team first as seen every year. Sticking up for team mates is putting team first.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Extension begins next year. :)

He simply cannot defend. It is what it is. Also can't shoot well enough to be on PP 1. Tough one. Great skater drives the play so well, if he could only shoot and defend a bit better.
Just defend better. He should watch the best in the game and emulate them. Gio is a good role model certainly.

Don't worry about points, no one cares. Play stronger, position awareness defense and succeed in the playoffs.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Some people will suggest taking away the top 2 seasons a player has and evualuate his stats. That would eliminate a peak year or random high stats a player can have. Jason Blake had 40 goals with the islanders, he never had more than 28 before that. He is a 15-25 goal guy if u look at his stats. Take away Reillys best 2 seasons....Reilly is a 30-35 point guy. Wont score 10 goals, around 20 assists. Look it up. I beleive thats exactly who Reilly is .

Reactions: klmdg and geo25

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Some people will suggest taking away the top 2 seasons a player has and evualuate his stats. That would eliminate a peak year or random high stats a player can have. Jason Blake had 40 goals with the islanders, he never had more than 28 before that. He is a 15-25 goal guy if u look at his stats. Take away Reillys best 2 seasons....Reilly is a 30-35 point guy. Wont score 10 goals, around 20 assists. Look it up. I beleive thats exactly who Reilly is .
That’s not how it works, unless you think matthews is a 38g 68 point player. In which case, you’re hopeless.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Scotty Bowman once made Sergei Fedorov play defenseman position. To teach him a lesson. Fedorov was generational talent though.
Wendel Clark moved from D to forward during his career. Chelios from forward to D Man. Both made the switches in the minors but it can be done. Maybe Keefe should try it.

Reactions: geo25

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
You guys would blow your lid if you saw our record without Matthews. Guess we should ship him out too. Maybe package Matthews and Reilly together and save 18-19mil in cap? 🫢
Why bring Matthews into the conversation? He’s an elite centre who plays a 200 foot game and is arguably a top five player in the league. Reilly isn’t even their best defenseman and is a defensive liability whose offensive game is no longer elite.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rielly is a great hockey player. I stay off here for the most part as the uneducated posts tick me off. Always our best D man in the playoffs and will be again this year. He is a leader and takes huge hits to make plays. Can skate the puck out of our zone and is the only D man on our team to be able to do so.l consistently. Quarterbacks one of the best pp in the league every year.
He is so intelligent on reading where the opponents are going to try to get the puck out on the pp. Joins the rush and makes us hard to defend against.
Yet far to many on here speak out of their rear end.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Thats probably why during a season like this season where we all assume rielly had a bad year... he still in pace for a 54 pts season...

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Why bring Matthews into the conversation? He’s an elite centre who plays a 200 foot game and is arguably a top five player in the league. Reilly isn’t even their best defenseman and is a defensive liability whose offensive game is no longer elite.
Yet we win more without him in the line up. Rielly is our best D man by a mile.
We won without Brodie in our line up with Benn and Mete.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Why would you healthy scratch your no.1

He's clearly getting back into shape after a season of nagging injuries. Last I checked you have to actually play to get better

Doesn't matter how much you think he sucks. He's our no.1 whether we like it or not so we need whatever "best" is of Rielly.
He may be paid as our number 1 but in reality he isn’t. He’s second pairing at best because he’s so poor defensively. His poor decision making, routes to the puck and lack of any desire to protect the net front make him more of a liability whose infrequent offensive contributions don’t outweigh his faults. He needs to be given easy minutes, started in the offensive zone and split point duty on the PP with Gus If they want to go on a deep playoff run.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
It's fine if we take him off the PP but healthy scratching him is astonishing.

We can get away with Rielly providing average defence. He's one of the best in the game at moving the puck up quickly from your own zone, that's worth more. But he's clearly not his best right now. We need to help him reach his best and Keefe clearly isn't the man for the job
Rielly is a 10 year veteran. Why is up to Keefe to get him to play better? I’m sure Leafs defensive coaches point all his mistakes to him over and over again but he doesn’t seem to want to change his ways. Dubas should’ve moved him long ago when he still had some value.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Except he isn’t and the results do not agree with you at all. Our powerplay has not been as effective when he’s been off it. We have no one on this team who is capable of bumping Rielly from the #1PP spot today.

If Rielly was half as bad as you people rage about on the powerplay we would not be consistently one of the best in the league year after year. The reality is you just don’t like how he does it, that’s it
Check out the Leafs pp numbers in the playoffs when opponents can key on it over several games. Their numbers drop to 10-15%. Rielly is part of the problem with a muffin from the point and lack of imagination or ability to fake out a defender. He’s way too predictable.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
That’s not how it works, unless you think matthews is a 38g 68 point player. In which case, you’re hopeless.
The way it works is to ignore what he’s done in the past because that is irrelevant to how he’s playing right now. They can’t afford to continue to overlook his terrible defensive game in the hope that he rediscovers his offensive game. He is who he is right now not the player of a few years ago.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
I'm shocked at how many people think Rielly's play has been anything above a 5th dman this season. He's been absolutely putrid defensively.

Reactions: Puckstuff and klmdg

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Rielly is a great hockey player. I stay off here for the most part as the uneducated posts tick me off. Always our best D man in the playoffs and will be again this year. He is a leader and takes huge hits to make plays. Can skate the puck out of our zone and is the only D man on our team to be able to do so.l consistently. Quarterbacks one of the best pp in the league every year.
He is so intelligent on reading where the opponents are going to try to get the puck out on the pp. Joins the rush and makes us hard to defend against.
Yet far to many on here speak out of their rear end.

LOL you call people uneducated yet you use adjectives like “great” and “intelligent” to describe Rielly. Meanwhile in reality he has such low IQ and is nowhere near being great. The guy is constantly out of position, has no understanding how to defend and lacks common sense as to when to pinch. You don’t want this guy in the ice with a one goal lead in the final minutes since he such a liability. I don’t know in what world you are imagining him taking big hits to make plays, this is pure fantasy and hilarious. If anybody is uneducated when evaluating a player you should look in the mirror.

Reactions: klmdg and HolyCrap

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
LOL you call people uneducated yet you use adjectives like “great” and “intelligent” to describe Rielly. Meanwhile in reality he has such low IQ and is nowhere near being great. The guy is constantly out of position, has no understanding how to defend and lacks common sense as to when to pinch. You don’t want this guy in the ice with a one goal lead in the final minutes since he such a liability. I don’t know in what world you are imagining him taking big hits to make plays, this is pure fantasy and hilarious. If anybody is uneducated when evaluating a player you should look in the mirror.
All anyone has to do is look at your posts history to know you have hated on Rielly his hole career and see just how bad your opinion is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad